Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk BBQ rub.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/r..._BBQ_ribs.html
    two cups, enough for about 12 pounds of ribs
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 04-29-2012 at 01:11 PM.

http://www.bigronswebsite.com/

Big Ron's can't be beat.
    Last edited by Face911; 04-29-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by epete View Post
    For pork I'm partial to this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html. It's also astonishingly good on toast.
    +1 although we substitute Cumin in place of the jalapeno seasoning. To make a big batch, I figured out the weights to go with a 2lb bag of brown sugar and for me its a lot quicker to use the scale than the measuring spoons.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Cooked up some tri tip and taters tonight:

Last edited by JV_; 06-25-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: removed excess img tags

I'm partial to LaRue's Dillo Dust on pretty much every type of meat product.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I'm partial to LaRue's Dillo Dust on pretty much every type of meat product.

When I moved to TX, I thought I was a meat lover. I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity to say out loud that TX taught me what good meat really is - and also how to rub it and with what.

... at least I thought I knew about rubbing. When I moved back to SoFla, I realized that the meat I used to get in TX is simply unavailable here. Fresh meat from cows that were grazing yesterday in a (relatively) small ranch a couple of hours away. The meat in SoFla, even the really expensive hard-to-find stuff from the most into-it local ranchers, simply doesn't compare. So now I'm getting more and more into rubs.

Lesson 1: the really best meat doesn't need much rubbing. (At least, that's what I keep telling myself.)

Lesson 2: thanks for all the rub tips here, I need to step up my game in that department.

So far, I've been partial to stuff made by Obie-Cue's out of Lancaster, TX. Specifically, their Gatorbreath is a great general-purpose rub, especially when the kids and grandparents are eating, since it's got a lot of good flavor with a mild kick. Their Sw'ell is delicious with a decent kick, and their sweet-n-heat is about as spicy and makes a better glaze.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Arizona isn't really known nationally for BBQ, but we still have some really good hole-in-the-wall places. I've been fond of the chicken at The Barbecue Company, and the ribs from Grassroots up in Scottsdale are phenomenal.

At the old age of 52, I had no idea of the relevance of the following until a year or so ago.

If you are going to grill (as opposed to smoke) meat, having the meat at room temperature is a necessity. Huge difference, try it.

Cheap yellow mustard is actually a taste free adhesive for rubs. I had no idea till a buddy educated me.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Arizona isn't really known nationally for BBQ, but we still have some really good hole-in-the-wall places. I've been fond of the chicken at The Barbecue Company, and the ribs from Grassroots up in Scottsdale are phenomenal.
    Anything good around the chandler mall area?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List