Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk BBQ rub.

Pulled pork is better in Memphis, to be fair. The most important dish to get in KC is burnt ends. It's distinctive, it's local, and it's delicious. Our ribs (pork) are excellent (start at LC's please), and we do very good brisket (Bryant's as a sandwich). Oklahoma Joe's gets a lot of press and really is pretty good given the ethnic limitations of the staff; their pork sandwiches are their best.

I do barbecue tours for ammo, do drop in. If you carry AIWB in, expect to switch to OWB on the way out.

Man, now I know what lunch is going to look like.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As far as rubs I use go - I really have been very happy with the LaRue Dillo Dust. My wife thinks it is a little sweet, but I like the way it gives a nice sugary glaze. I have tried to make my own or purchase others during the times I have not been a good and proper LaRue customer and have always failed to be as pleased with the results. Luckily the need for some new ring inserts last year has set me up for a little while.

As far as BBQ goes - man there is just so much variation. I grew up with Oklahoma style BBQ so I still tend to favor it and use it as a baseline. A little place in Davenport Oklahoma called Dan's (not far from Chandler) is my sentimental favorite. I recently overnighted in Memphis and had that the dry rub everyone was raving about at Rendezvous. I was not all that impressed. The dry rub was caked on and overbearing and I feel covered up the natural smokiness of the ribs. At the end of the day, whether it is a dry rib or a wet rib, it all comes down to the slow smoking that makes the rib delicious. When it comes to pulled pork, I have been most impressed with the BBQ from the Carolinas. I'm not one to rave much about airport food (although I eat it all the time), but the BBQ places in CLT and Charleston SC have AWESOME places to get a sandwich.

Site Supporter
    My favorite dry rub these days is very simple.
    I've used it on brisket, pork (Boston) and ribs (pork loin).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

Depending on what I'm in the mood for, I add a bit more cumin or garlic.

Picked up an electric smoker on closeout at Lowes 2 months ago.
    So simple, it feels like I'm cheating.... Haven't used the iron smoker since.

I use Lysander's Cajun Rub. Not really all that spicy, but definately very flavorful. Taking a good cut of steak, adding the rub and letting it marinate in some bourbon (I use Jim Beam because I'm a cheap bastard at times) for a few hours and throwing it on a good charcoal grill is what I do with a lot of my meals when the weather cooperates. And now I'm almost drooling at the thought. Thanks a lot, guys.

I've spent some time in Kansas City, and while there are folks there that understand barbecue, I expect that folks in Memphis, Texas (especially Lockhart) parts of the Carolinas, a small town in Upper Alabama and a few other places would take the insinuation that they didn't understand barbecue as a challenge to a fight.

There are quite a few distinct regionalized styles of barbecue that are very unique to themselves. These regions may be broad encompassing large areas and as small as basically being very localized. They are somewhat breaking down now as the internet (lots of barbecue forums out there) and food shows are exposing other parts of the county to the barbecue of other regions.

Personally, I like the product turned out in my driveway:

Smoked chuck roast (beef equivalent of pork butt).

Fire baked cornbread

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin

Rib end pork roast

I'll second the Chief's offerings from his driveway (and have seconds, too!) Actually, it was VolGrad's back yard, but we did eat high on the hog. Speaking of which - VolGrad, look at your calendar dude, it's time for another!
    GeorgiaCarry.Org Life Member
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Chief, I am mostly playing (although calling that burnt stuff they serve down in Texas 'barbeque' is a bit much). I like your work.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Lately my go-to general purpose dry rub has been Tim's Killer Meat Rub, which is made by the guy who founded Blade-Tech. So far I've used it on beef, chicken, fish and veggies. When I was doing a lot of actual bar-b-que stuff when I lived in Indiana, I'd make my own rub. If you really want to customize your flavors, making your own rub is the way to go.

Sea salt, black pepper, crushed garlic, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper & a light glaze of natural honey

Jlw, does that chuck roast pull apart like that or do you have to chop it? Either way, it looks fantastic!
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

User Tag List