Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a polymer framed 45

I want a polymer framed 45

I’m considering getting a polymer framed 45 Auto pistol. Most likely it’ll be a range toy, but I could find other uses for it. Local shop does have a used Glock 41, used Glock 23SF, and a used M&P 45c (1.0). I’d kinda like to hear any experiences anyone cares to share on any of these. I had a Smith M&P 1.0 45 before and kinda remember I didn’t care for it much but don’t remember exactly why.

Anyway, please share your experiences with poly framed 45s, what you liked, what you hated, etc. Of the 3, the G41 has my interest the most, but I’m open to being swayed in the direction of either of the others or something else entirely.

Site Supporter
    The Glock 21 I used to own was easily more accurate than most production grade 1911s (Kimbers, Rugers, Colt's) and would probably hang in there with a number of higher end Springfield 1911s like the Operators or TRPs

I'm not alone in this...whatever Glock did for the 21 they really seemed to crack the nut on a phenomenally accurate duty grade pistol. I've heard similar stuff about the Glock 30.

Never shot a M&P45 or a Glock 41

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Are you sold on a striker gun? If not the HK45 is worth a look, IMO the best polymer 45 I’ve shot.

But the above poster does have a point the G21 is more accurate than it should be and a fairly flat shooting handgun. For my hands it’s a little blocky but YMMV.

Edit to add: I’ve only handled an MP45 but it also had a blocky feel, thick in the front to back dimension of the frame.
    Last edited by NPV; 12-23-2019 at 10:46 PM.

PX4 Storm full-size? Grand Power P45? If you don't mind buying new, check them out. Both are very soft shooting. Probably won't find them used, locally, unless your used market is a lot more interesting than mine.

Site Supporter
    I am a big fan of the M&P .45, both the compact and mid-size 1.0 versions. I have no experience with the 2.0 in .45. I have found them to be very accurate (IMHO the best of the 1.0 M&P line) and relatively soft shooting. The compact is very close in size to a G19, pretty much the standard for concealment/duty size pistols. On the downside the full size frame holds 10, as opposed to the G21’s 13, but to me it is more concealable/ergonomic. They are also available with a thumb safety, or one can be easily added if that is your preference.

I have had a Gen 3 G21, and found it also very accurate. I did not have it and my M&Ps at the same time, so I was never able to compare performance head to head. I sold it only because it was too blocky for me personally to carry concealed.

I have a HK 45c LEM, great pistol, and probably the most overbuilt polymer .45 you can buy. But it is spendy compared to the others, and for me not appreciably more accurate than my M&Ps for the cost. The main reason I have it is as a backcountry hiking pistol as it will run .45 Super loads.

Overall, I prefer the Smith as I shoot it the best, it is easy to work on, and I have had no problems with any of mine.
    Polite Professional

Cool

I know not all here share my opinion on this but if you don't mind dropping some coin, my FNX TAC is one of the most accurate and fun to shoot pistols in the stable. I can easily put 250-300 rounds through it every time I go shooting and it's hard to wipe the smile of my face, plus 15 rnds per stick is AWESOME 👍. My wallet doesn't appreciate my affection for .45 but I sure do!

Site Supporter
    If you are already into Glocks, then the 21/41 is a natural pivot. If not, the concept of an M&P .45 with some Apex drop in trigger goodness would have me leaning strongly M&P.

I have maybe 500 rounds thru a Circa 2010 G21 SF. It was 6 inch accurate at 25 (more a reflection on me v. the gun), 1 ragged hole accurate at 10. Reliable with all factory 230 g loads to include WWB, Speer Lawman, Winchester Ranger and Golden Saber. It was also accurate and completely reliable with a reloaded 230 Plated Berry bullet over 5.4-5.6g of 231/HP-38 powder.

FWIW

The other option is to actually get a ".45" the Rock River Poly 1911. Totally underrated gun, IMHO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    If the g41 has your attention, grab it. If you don’t like it, sell it. If I wanted to run a .45 Glock, I’d grab a 30 and a 41 and be covered and happy.

In fact, there’s a used 30SF at my LGS at a favorable price I’ve thought about a lot lately. I’d have to trade something, though, and I don’t want to trade anything.

Site Supporter
    I don't really like Glocks. I can't shoot a Glock 19 worth a damn.

But the one time I shot a Glock 30, the rounds went right where I wanted them. ...which I wouldn't give any credence to, but, others seem to report better-than-normal accuracy with Glock .45s. I read somewhere they have 8 lands and grooves vs. the normal 6. Not sure that has anything to do with it... but maybe.

I also shot a Glock 36 in that same outing. Also very accurate, but I had one FTF. Probably limp-wristig.

Personally, I've owned an HK45c and a USPc .45. Of the two, I guess I liked the 45c better. It was extremely accurate, but the DA trigger was absolutely horrible. And the grip ergos weren't great for me. The USPc had a much, much better trigger, but the ergos were even worse. For me, anyway. Of the two, I shot the 45c better.

User Tag List