Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson m12

In the mid 80’s, gun writer Massad Ayoob wrote an article on the model 12. I still remember that he called it the “big man’s Chiefs Special”. Also, I believe that Ed Lovette was fond of the snubby model 12 in his book on the subject.

Site Supporter
    Just some random thoughts on the model 12 frame cracks.

Whenever someone posts about a m12 somebody has to post about cracked m12s. Yet when someone posts about alloy j frames nobody posts about cracked j frames and alloy j frames crack also.

It’s already been mentioned about the guy on the smith forum that shot 1000 +ps through a m12 with out damaging the revolver. Now we have a member here that shot competition with a m12.

Then there is the guy on the smith forum that wanted to examine a cracked m12 and posted that he wanted to buy a cracked m12. Nobody had one to sale him.

In the early 1950’s when aluminum was beginning to be used in firearms smith had a lot of problems with alloy cylinders blowing up and only made alloy cylinders a couple of years. Smith & Wesson had so many problems with cracked m12 frames they only made them for 33 years.

All this makes me wonder if there is a low volume of m12 cracked frames that have been told about over and over so that folks assume that cracked m12 are common place.

I don’t doubt m12s crack, I just doubt the volume that the internet would have us to believe.

If anything happens to my m12 I’ll post it here.

I hope this hasn’t come across as contentious or sarcastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I don’t doubt m12s crack, I just doubt the volume that the internet would have us to believe.
    I have personally cracked an early 442 and a M37, both with hot, probably +P loads. That area around the forcing cone is indeed thin on those early alloy frame J's and the earlier generation alloy was not as strong as the current metalurgy on the J frames.

I have also fired hundreds of hot rounds over the last 25 years through my M12's (own 4 of them) and never a problem. I am in agreement with you, I think the same for the alloy D frame Colts.

I have no personal first hand knowledge of either type, M12 or alloy D frames, that anyone I know owns, ever developing frame cracks. I am sure it happens, but this rampant fear of firing a few +P rounds is clearly way overblown by the "generally accepted internet wisdom" from people without any direct first hand/first person knowledge of those failures. I think shooting one out to time after a steady diet of +P ammo is far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Remember that grip frames are narrower in these than a standard K frame on most of the Model 12’s, so don’t be surprised of grip fit is poor if not using Model 12 specific grips.
    I had to shim those Spegels on my M12 with some velcro (the loop side).
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I had to shim those Spegels on my M12 with some velcro (the loop side).
    And I thought you were the only guy other than me who had a set of actual Model 12 Spegels. If you ever want to swap your Spegels for actual Model 12 Stags, let me know.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    And I thought you were the only guy other than me who had a set of actual Model 12 Spegels. If you ever want to swap your Spegels for actual Model 12 Stags, let me know.
    I had a 4" RB 12-3 (IIRC) and bought a set that Spegel had laying around about 15 years ago. In a fit of stupidity, I sold the gun with the stocks about ten years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I had a 4" RB 12-3 (IIRC) and bought a set that Spegel had laying around about 15 years ago. In a fit of stupidity, I sold the gun with the stocks about ten years ago.
    Almost as bad as my move of selling my first duty gun, an S&W Model 19-3 (very worn from a Magnum life), with the set of LH Farrant stocks included. I still moan when I think of those stocks gone forever. The gun was replaced with another 19-3.

On another note, I've often wondered about a reborn Model 12 project from Smith with a modern alloy frame that is +P rated, round butt, DAO w/bobbed hammer and a 3" medium weight barrel and no lock. That concept calls to me.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Almost as bad as my move of selling my first duty gun, an S&W Model 19-3 (very worn from a Magnum life), with the set of LH Farrant stocks included. I still moan when I think of those stocks gone forever. The gun was replaced with another 19-3.

On another note, I've often wondered about a reborn Model 12 project from Smith with a modern alloy frame that is +P rated, round butt, DAO w/bobbed hammer and a 3" medium weight barrel and no lock. That concept calls to me.
    I would buy several of those to stash throughout my domicile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

I’d have to have at least one, probably two

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’d have to have at least one, probably two
    Likewise.
    But Smith would never do it....if they did, it would probably have to be sent back for some sort of glaring defect.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 12-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.

User Tag List