Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Under what circumstances would you want +P+ ammunition?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I wanted to understand why someone would choose +P+.
    Because they don't know what they don't know and are impressed by the muzzle energy numbers. Same reason people buy the ultra-light-ultra-fast frangible ammunition. They mistakenly think that a higher energy number has more "stopping power" or is deadlier. Usually accompanied by "I believe in physics".
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

One thing to consider with +P+: in addition to a range of extra pressure, there is also a duration of extra pressure based on powder burn. For example the 147 +P+ hydra-shok .38 load is pretty mild, with no more felt recoil than typical FBI +P LSWCHP. I’ve been told that the load very briefly crosses past the spec for +P during the burn. By comparison, the treasury load really is running a higher pressure—though not at all outrageous, since .38 special is relatively modest pressure to start with. The old cor-bon +P+ LSWCHP offering that duplicated the RCMP spec .38 duty load ran an easy 1000fps out of 4” revolvers, and felt like it, unlike the Hydra-shok. That said, having shot the cor-bon back-to-back with today’s buffalo bore, the BB is most def hotter, despite Tim’s product carrying just a “+P” rating. Powder burn is an arcane science to me.

For service auto loads, I wouldn’t get wrapped around the axle over pressure rating, although doc GKR has said that the +P 124 GDHP is a slightly better performer than the still acceptable standard pressure 124 GDHP. Where “+P” really matters is the older wheelgun chamberings that start with crazy low pressure specs to begin with: .38spec, .44spec, .45LC...

Back when I was young and you mail ordered ammo by actually using real mail, I shot a ton of cor-bon’s +P+, because I only owned one gun (4" NY-1 K-frame .38) and the practical club in town did bowling pin shoots a couple of times a month. That RCMP spec .38 actually held its own against the 1911s with ball in them.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-24-2019 at 01:23 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Next question am I wasting money on +P ammunition?
    Extra oomph to cycle a real dirty gun that got dropped in some sort of sludge during Youtube "torture testing". At least that's one explanation I hear often.

Supposedly also helps penetrate through chest carried rifle mags.

Probably also helps getting through hard stuff to get to the good fleshy bits.

I think +P in 9mm is actually what the original design of the caliber called for, but I could be wrong.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List