Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Under what circumstances would you want +P+ ammunition?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I never even see +p+ ammo in 9mm anymore. I would like to know also why I can't find published load data for 9mm +p or .38 special +p? They are both recognized as SAMMI spec loads, so why isn't there load data?
    It's out there:

Ramshot (Complete load manual, includes both 9x19 +P and .38 +P)

Alliant (Complete list of handgun data, includes both)

Hodgdon (includes Winchester and IMR, only .38 +P data)
    Last edited by revchuck38; 12-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I really don't know much about ammunition I don't know enough to know why I'd want +P+ ammunition.
    So +P+ means it exceeds SAAMI specs for the given cartridge, but that it's below the pressure of a proof round. There is no actual standard other than "more than +P and it probably won't blow your gun up on the first shot." The reason you'd want it is you want more pressure, generally in an attempt to gain more velocity, and you have a gun that is capable of that pressure and a bullet designed to do what you want it to do in that velocity window. This is seldom the case for modern ammunition.

That said, consider the venerable .45 Colt. Designed in the 1870's for black powder guns, the maximum pressure for standard ammunition is 14,000 PSI. The .44 Magnum, designed for modern smokeless powders out of the gate, is over 250% higher at 36,000 PSI. While 1870's guns still exist and there are modern replicas, there are also many .45 Colt revolvers that are roughly identical to the .44 magnum counterpart. There is no SAAMI spec for .45 Colt +P, but +P for other cartridges is usually 20% or less. Even if SAAMI did designate a +P, it wouldn't be anywhere near the actual capabilities of a Ruger Redhawk or S&W N-frame, since anything that did would insta-grenade a Colt SAA made for the original load. So, if you aren't getting enough penetration, expansion, or both in the .45 Colt you can really crank up the pressure, design a bullet that's for the new velocity window, and roughly equal the .44 magnum (some will say exceed, but not the point here) in those certain guns that will stand up to the wildly out of spec pressures.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    +P+ 9mm? If I was running a subgun sure I guess.

Handgun? No thanks. +P or std pressure do just fine.

Never have shot a +P+, but I wonder what the flinch factor would be in anticipation of the recoil.

The only time I carried it was when we were issued it by our agency as our duty load. I don't remember it having any negative effects on qualifications or firearms, (handguns)...but I don't think we stuck with it very long either, going from memory.

Wouldn't think most handgun manufacturers recommend its use...especially prolonged use.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The only reason I can think of to use it is attempting to get .357 Magnum 125gr JHP terminal effect/ballistics out of a 9x19 handgun. IMO, that’s not necessary: just use a .357 if you need those ballistics. They still make them. I use a .357 Mag when I want to throw heavier bullets, though.

Site Supporter
    I still have a bunch on 9BPLE on hand - there was a time when it sold for generic 9mm FMJ pricing. 9BPLE shoots well in modern quality 9mms. I got it because it is a good shooting round that happens to be +P+. I tend to carry HST 124 +P.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I really don't know much about ammunition I don't know enough to know why I'd want +P+ ammunition. I use the ammunition I use now because a recognized SME recommended it and it's on DocGKR's list but I want to understand why someone would choose +P+ ammunition. Is it personal preference? Is it what your employer issues? Is it to defeat body armor? Is it because you might have to shoot through a car door?

Thanks for your answers
    I wouldn't seek it out but I'd take it if it was on The List AND it was all that I could get.

I would not handload to that level for any reason.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The 127 Ranger +P+ was once a very popular load. Some speculated the the +P+ might have been more of a gimmick.

As for punching through car doors, the +P Gold Dot is likely a better option.

My department issues 9mm 127gr. +P+ Winchester Ranger. I can't tell any difference in perceived recoil compared to a 124gr. +P. I'm not sure why it was chosen but it replaced Remington Golden Sabre as our duty load.

User Tag List