Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Under what circumstances would you want +P+ ammunition?

Banned

Under what circumstances would you want +P+ ammunition?

I really don't know much about ammunition I don't know enough to know why I'd want +P+ ammunition. I use the ammunition I use now because a recognized SME recommended it and it's on DocGKR's list but I want to understand why someone would choose +P+ ammunition. Is it personal preference? Is it what your employer issues? Is it to defeat body armor? Is it because you might have to shoot through a car door?

Thanks for your answers
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-23-2019 at 12:29 AM.

Site Supporter
    I once bought a case (or perhaps two cases) of 9BPLE because it was cheap and once had a good reputation (though decidedly not for abnormally good penetration, either through cars or through armor). Not necessarily good reasons, just mine at the time. These days I get a practically unlimited supply of Gold Dots from my employer.

I never even see +p+ ammo in 9mm anymore. I would like to know also why I can't find published load data for 9mm +p or .38 special +p? They are both recognized as SAMMI spec loads, so why isn't there load data?

Only one kind of theme I've noticed with +p ammo is it actually seems to penetrate less but usually expands a little better. No scientific data for me to say that, it's just what I seem to notice more times than not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I once bought a case (or perhaps two cases) of 9BPLE because it was cheap and once had a good reputation (though decidedly not for abnormally good penetration, either through cars or through armor). Not necessarily good reasons, just mine at the time. These days I get a practically unlimited supply of Gold Dots from my employer.
    So just a personal preference. Thanks.

Banned
    I'm not intending to switch out my ammunition. I'm just asking for information sake.

There is +P+ ammunition on DocGKR's list so it must still be available.

I could see where hitting the target at a higher velocity would make it expand more reliably but I don't have any data to back that up either

Student
    Seems to me it was less about the +P+ and more about 9BPLE being more affordable at some point while still performing decently.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?11541-9BPLE

Somebody brought some to John Johnston's non-ordnance gel demo at the Public Encounters class last week. You can see comparison pics on his and John Correia's Instagrams.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6GdjNrJbfC/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Gadjfnq4a/?hl=en

I'm under the impression that it's previous-gen technology, but that wouldn't keep me from carrying it.
    Last edited by Yung; 12-23-2019 at 04:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    I do know that 9BPLE in particular runs *wonderfully* in my transferable UZI. I'd imagine PCC's and similar guns that have 10in+ barrels get even more out of 9BPLE.

Being an open bolt SMG, +P+ bumps up the UZI's cyclic rate from the typical ~550-600rpm to ~700-750ish too.

I could see a good argument for 9BPLE or similar for institutional use of 9mm SMG's or long guns, since it'd be a decent mix of terminal effectiveness and cost effectiveness. But it's hard for me to imagine an anyone that'd issue a 9mm SMG that wouldn't issue a shorty 5.56 instead these days.

Separately consider the 9BP bullet and loads from the question of +P+.

There is a load which has historically performed very well, the Ranger 127. I haven’t seen it in a while and Winchester has really slid on quality, so I don’t seek it out.

There is not another +P+ load on docs list so I would end the question there.

The 9BP is obsolete. It has always shot well in most of my guns and I buy the standard pressure load when I see it for evaluating new pistols.
    Ignore Alien Orders

From a Glock 34, the ranger 127 +p+ is right at a 165 power factor

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I would like to know also why I can't find published load data for 9mm +p or .38 special +p? They are both recognized as SAMMI spec loads, so why isn't there load data?
    I haven't bought a new reloading manual in 15+ years, but mine certainly lists +P loads. If there's any particular weight/powder you're looking for let me know and I'll see what it says.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List