View Poll Results: Do you prefer DA, or LEM for your HK?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • LEM

50 68.49%
  • DA/SA

23 31.51%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HK: LEM or DA?

I know you’re predominantly a 1911 guy but I’m curious what TDA guns you prefer M2.

I've been running M9s/92s for 20 years. Like Sigs too.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I wonder if this is a "grass is greener" effect for both of us

What are your thoughts, or reasons to go DA/SA instead of LEM?
    Very possibly the case. CCT125US here put a lot of work into the DA/SA and then switched to LEM with good results. I switched to DA/SA, not an HK but that's not as relevant, and got better results. Part of it was the natural progression because of work put in, but ultimately I think that shooting SA is easier for me than LEM. I've not found the DA trigger on HK impossible to work; I even found the way to decock the LEM trigger on a live round at the range and practice my DA shooting with it. LEM speedbump, however, kept me on my toes till the very end.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

A few thoughts:

Coming to a thread of enthusiasts, and trashing their gun, is guaranteed to get a poor reaction. You seem to regularly do it, and must enjoy it, as this isn’t the first instance.

As to why an HK, consider the following. While an HK hammer gun in 9mm yields less output for a given amount of skill than some other platforms, the trade off is you get a bullet proof pistol, with arguably the best OEM magazines made, and a trigger that is ideal for the non shooting aspects of gunfighting. The real “why HK” answer is .40 and .45. HK pistols are simply better in .40 and .45 than Glock, Sig, and Beretta alternatives in these calibers. I have used a P30 LEM .40 to stop a moose charge, that almost certainly would have led to serious injury or worse for my wife and I, which gives me a warm fuzzy for HK hammer pistols. Then, there is my ultimate argument for an HK hammer gun, being able to reliably launch .45 Super ammo. There is, in my experience, no better field pistol than a FS USP .45 with a match hybrid LEM trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On the one hand, the HK DA/SA is typically pretty horrible. Heavy, gritty DA, spongy, creepy SA. On the other hand, the LEM is just plain weird - great trigger if you want to point it at things and NOT shoot unintentionally, horrible trigger if you want to shoot any drills at speed. I carried both, over a period of about four years, as primary/exclusive pistols, so I've got 10-15K rounds through each trigger system in a variety of platforms.

If you told me I HAD TO pick one or the other, and it was the only pistol I was ever going to have access to again, I'd grudgingly take the LEM, because I'll take a whole bunch of weird, springy feeling but light and smooth trigger presses over the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few thoughts:

Coming to a thread of enthusiasts, and trashing their gun, is guaranteed to get a poor reaction. You seem to regularly do it, and must enjoy it, as this isn’t the first instance.

As to why an HK, consider the following. While an HK hammer gun in 9mm yields less output for a given amount of skill than some other platforms, the trade off is you get a bullet proof pistol, with arguably the best OEM magazines made, and a trigger that is ideal for the non shooting aspects of gunfighting. The real “why HK” answer is .40 and .45. HK pistols are simply better in .40 and .45 than Glock, Sig, and Beretta alternatives in these calibers. I have used a P30 LEM .40 to stop a moose charge, that almost certainly would have led to serious injury or worse for my wife and I, which gives me a warm fuzzy for HK hammer pistols. Then, there is my ultimate argument for an HK hammer gun, being able to reliably launch .45 Super ammo. There is, in my experience, no better field pistol than a FS USP .45 with a match hybrid LEM trigger.

If it's highlights are moose, 45 Super, and not shooting, am I really trashing it??

I appreciate HKs mags more than most, and their pistols are engineered better than any, but they could have done a lot better with the man-machine interface.

If they made a P30&P2000 with a badass trigger-job Beretta kinda trigger, they'd be the only thing I owned.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    If it's highlights are moose, 45 Super, and not shooting, am I really trashing it??

I appreciate HKs mags more than most, and their pistols are engineered better than any, but they could have done a lot better with the man-machine interface.

If they made a P30&P2000 with a badass trigger-job Beretta kinda trigger, they'd be the only thing I owned.
    They do; it's the V1.5, V2, V4, V4.1 and VTLG LEM. And yes, I prefer LEM, especially for a duty/threat management HK. Best, Jon

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Potato, potatoe. Blondes, redheads, brunettes. Pick what works for you and rock on...

I’ve carried and shot a HK LEM by requirement since 2004. As stated in another post, it’s not a fun trigger, but the gun and platform works, and gives me the highest confidence of going “bang”. Every. Single. Time. Period. I’ll take it’s shortcomings for that.

Nothing is perfect.
    Last edited by entropy; 12-23-2019 at 02:05 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

years back i installed an LEM kit into my USP 9. felt great but was difficult for my brain to learn. can jump between TDA <-> SFA but the LEM for me was just challenging. behaved like a long SA trigger and the presence of a wall on such trigger travel for me was too different and now worth the tough learning curve. a few years later I acquired an HK45c w LEM and did the exact same experiment again w same results. I see the merits in the LEM but for me its DA/SA if I can choose. if on the fence I would go w an HK45 V1 model then get the LEM kit so can have either setup. last I checked HK doesnt sell the V1 parts to swap a factory LEM HK45 back to DA/SA.

I like the LEM vs HK’s TDA. I know it’s nitpicking but the DA on the HK’s I’ve fiddled with didn’t feel as nice as other TDA pistols I’d handled (Sig & Beretta).

The 4.1 LEM P30 I had was niiiiice and I’d unhesitatingly get one in that configuration again because the trigger was a smooth roll, no wall that I was able to discern. Truthfully the LEM needs a bit of configuring by the shooter and it can be made great. It’s not the most shootable trigger but it’s not designed to be and I wish people who bash it would accept what its intended purpose is.

I will say I just wish HK could get the reset across all LEMs to be like the reset on the HK45.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List