Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central Idaho drive with pics

Central Idaho drive with pics

I took a drive to meet with a friend and to get out of the house, as I have been cooped up post back surgery. I took the daughters car as it gets much better gas mileage than my land cruiser and there is very little snow currently.

I had meant to take the camera along and snap some pics as it is usually a good time of year for wildlife and this was no exception. I had plugged it in to charge the battery and left it, in my haste to get an early start, which was a real bummer, since there were no shortage of great shots, as it ended up. Really bummed about that.

Being only a few weeks out of surgery I promised I would not be wrestling elk hind quarters, even though the hunt is still on for me, I have a cow tag and I would be driving right through the unit I hunt. My luck being what it is, the damned things would tempt me like a fat kid an cake..

More on that in a minute.

I was making good time, so as I got near my cabin I took a side road, and ran into a herd of wild horses. The only thing I had to take pics was my crappy cell phone and the lighting was poor to say the least.

I will apologize now. None of these pics are worth a crap. All I had was my old iPhone, and it does not take good pics, so it is what it is...

These guys blend in amazing well sometimes and I actually was almost on top of them before I even saw them.

Normally you cannot get even close, but this one was fairly old, was not moving too quick, and did not seem to care. I talked to her as I walked slowly at an angle in her direction until I got as close as I dared for a pic. They burn a lot of calories this time of year, so this was close enough.

Long road to nowhere.

Heading out to the main road, with my .308 at my side, and a cow tag in my pocket.... Sure enough:

Total Chip Shot!

About 125-150 yards. I shouted HEY! and a couple cows stopped and looked at me. Every bone in my body was telling me to drop one, go buy a couple blue tarps and fill the kids car with elk quarters like a proper Idaho redneck!

That said I KNEW I would never, ever hear the end of it. Plus it would make me late. I still have a chest freezer relatively full of meat, so I am not exactly hurting but these dang things were practically begging for it, and it is pretty much NEVER this easy. Normally they are two ridges over from the truck and you kill yourself trying to get hundreds of pounds of meat up and down steep, snow covered mountain sides to the truck.

This was KILLING ME

But I let them go...

ICE-UP

The Salmon River is starting its annual ice up.

Soon the ice will start to jam up into huge flows. right now it is just starting to narrow the flows.

Local momma coming to town with her kids:

Bighorn

There were actually a BUNCH of mule deer out in the hills but they were at a distance and my phone just would not pick them up in the lighting, since they blend in so well. In one field though there were some Bighorns that came down to feed, and further down river a few were above the river, at the base of a cliff. Only one was visible, and barely at that camera wise.

I REALLY need to get a camera and not keep stealing the wife's!

Wild Turkeys

Near where the Pahsimeroi River comes into the Salmon there are Wild Turkeys and this day was no exception.

They are right up on the road.

That was all before 11:00 am. Pretty good morning!

I was really bummed about forgetting the real camera though. It kills me to see such great scenery and not be able to share it with people.

The flip side is that I suppose that with the state growing as fast as it is, maybe I should keep quiet and keep telling people that Idaho is flat and nothing but potato fields and barren desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That was all before 11:00 am. Pretty good morning!

I was really bummed about forgetting the real camera though. It kills me to see such great scenery and not be able to share it with people.

The flip side is that I suppose that with the state growing as fast as it is, maybe I should keep quiet and keep telling people that Idaho is flat and nothing but potato fields and barren desert.
    Yes please. Delete all the photos and just post potatos. That is all Idaho has. Please stay away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

Idaho is one state I have never been to. I need to change that.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

That is beautiful.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List