Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: We now have a Space Force!?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    It’s the smart kids that want to be grunts. The dumb ones wrench on helicopters.
    Having known two Marine helo mechanics, I suspect that you may be correct.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

What sidearm? Either a DeLameter or an H&K VP 70.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

All potential military recruits must take the ASVAB (IQ).

To qualify, recruits must score higher than roughly one-third of all who take the ASVAB. The lowest acceptable percentile score to join is 36 for the Air Force, 35 for the Navy, 32 for the Marine Corps, and 31 for the Army.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...lowest-our-low

I don't know what the Coast Guard is but they have some unique physical requirements. When I tried to join they told me I had to be over 6' tall. The reason, as they explained it to me, if the ship sinks you have to be able to wade ashore. I guess that's the reason the Navy calls them shallow water sailors.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-26-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Kind of wondering if any Army or Naval Services personnel might be offered an opportunity to change uniforms; I knew several guys who were authorized to wear the USAF "Star Trek" badge, so called because it incorporated the familiar Star Fleet swoopy delta shape, although I never talked to them in a SCIF so I was unclear just what "SpaColl" entailed...

Other thought: Eventually, the Space Force will have space-faring vessels. Thinking about John Ringo's Looking Glass series, the nuclear sub that is converted to Earth's first space warship is first commanded by a Nasal Aviator fighter jock, and then by a Submariner. The difference in command styles and philosophies between an airedale and a bubble head become a minor plot point.

So far as I can recall, this was the first SF book (series) that actually considered space-based warfare beyond questions of propulsion, weapons, and life-support systems.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Really, all this amounts to is administrative separation of the USAF's current space obligations, much like prior separation of the Army's Air Corps.

That said, my old uni with space wings would slot right in.

https://www.squadronposters.com/prod...ysis-squadron/
    You'll find me at most matches wearing my old squadron shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Kind of wondering if any Army or Naval Services personnel might be offered an opportunity to change uniforms; I knew several guys who were authorized to wear the USAF "Star Trek" badge, so called because it incorporated the familiar Star Fleet swoopy delta shape, although I never talked to them in a SCIF so I was unclear just what "SpaColl" entailed...

Other thought: Eventually, the Space Force will have space-faring vessels. Thinking about John Ringo's Looking Glass series, the nuclear sub that is converted to Earth's first space warship is first commanded by a Nasal Aviator fighter jock, and then by a Submariner. The difference in command styles and philosophies between an airedale and a bubble head become a minor plot point.

So far as I can recall, this was the first SF book (series) that actually considered space-based warfare beyond questions of propulsion, weapons, and life-support systems.
    Probably the best extrapolation I've seen of deep space combat, without too much physics bending, is towards the end of Nightrider by David Mace:

https://www.amazon.com/Nightrider-Da...7453347&sr=8-1

Long out of print but available used. As a book- good but flawed.

Though, of course, the military will still be the military, even in SPAAACE:

http://projectavalon.net/Allamagoosa.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Though, of course, the military will still be the military, even in SPAAACE:

http://projectavalon.net/Allamagoosa.pdf
    Allamagoosa was AWESOME. "Offog", indeed!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...kf63UaByilITXE

The NSA Is Studying Satellite Hacking

Low Earth orbit will soon be awash in small satellites, and the national security community is increasingly concerned about their security.

Researchers at the National Security Agency are using artificial intelligence to characterize strange behaviors in small satellites to understand if they’ve secretly been brought under adversarial control.

“We’re looking at a way to characterize telemetry data so that as we deploy new satellites, we can make adjustments,” said Aaron Ferguson, the technical director of the encryption solutions office of NSA’s Capabilities Directorate, said at a Defense One event on Tuesday.
    so those satellites that move outside of that place or that are deployed elsewhere are exhibiting unusual, or anonymous behavior. That behavior could suggest a serious compromise but humans by themselves don’t always notice it and don’t have the capacity to reach a determination quickly, as there is often too much data. “Can we characterize small sat behaviors to be good? Bad, or I don’t know?’” said Ferguson, who emphasized that the effort was not yet a program, but an active experimentation that might one day lead to a program.

Additionally, he said his team was also looking to see “how can we deploy some type of malware to a small sat, through a ground station,” to better judge the threat to small satellites.

Why is that important? If you’ve paid any attention to the military discussion about the use of space over the past couple of years, you’ve probably heard two key points. The first is that the United States is planning to put vast constellations of small satellites in low Earth orbit in the coming years, where they offer new, faster ways for the military to collect intelligence and communicate. You’ve also likely heard that U.S. officials are very worried about new and growing threats to its assets in space. But the vast volume of data coming from small satellites may make it difficult to determine if they’ve been compromised by an adversary.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-28-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    What sidearm? Either a DeLameter or an H&K VP 70.
    Not sure about sidearms. But anyone who has watched Stargate SG-1 knows there is a large contract coming for FN P-90’s.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It would seem that originality is not a strong feature with the Console Jockeys:

Name:  Starfleet-USSF.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  79.1 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List