Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purse gun reflections.

Site Supporter
    That 70S is absolutely gorgeous from the pics you posted in your other thread - I can see why it was the most charismatic of the bunch. That sounds like a fantastic range trip!

Thanks for everyone's reply about the Seacamp pistols. Much appreciate the cost savings.

Site Supporter
    I had entertained the idea of a Seecamp as a pocket gun. Now I’m thinking not.

Anybody try the micro desert eagle? Are those even still being made? Also, Kel Tec P32s were literally less than $200 on GB not long ago.

I've always said that I never wanted a "tactical watch Fob" and things like: "I've never met anyone that was in a real gun fight that wished that they had a smaller gun with less ammo".

My little gun is a G19.5

I would love something that is quality and small. It will be a back up to the primary, not a primary fighting firearm. Would like it the size of a Seecamp 32 but I like a compact 9 better. Don't want something to pocket carry that is striker fired, like the Kahr trigger, long and smooth but not easily accidentally discharged without a holster in the pocket.

So share your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I would love something that is quality and small. It will be a back up to the primary, not a primary fighting firearm. Would like it the size of a Seecamp 32 but I like a compact 9 better. Don't want something to pocket carry that is striker fired, like the Kahr trigger, long and smooth but not easily accidentally discharged without a holster in the pocket.

So share your thoughts and thanks in advance.
    I think what you want needs to be hashed out a little better. Your wants are kind of all over the place.

Do you want something the size of a Seecamp, or do you want a (presumably reliable) compact 9? They're mutually exclusive.

The Kahr PM9 is probably the smallest 9mm out there that is still acceptably reliable for self defense....but anything larger than it is too big to really be called a pocket gun. I know that some people have very large pockets, there's a defunct member of the forum that used to pocket carry an M&P Compact.....but that doesn't mean an M&P Compact is a pocket gun. IMO, a Glock 42, 43, P365, LC380 or LC9 are not pocket guns either.

You might want to consider 380 with a deliberate, informed ammunition selection. The LCP, for instance, is an excellent BUG/pocket gun and reasonable choice. The Kahr CW380 and P380 are without doubt the nicest shooting micro-380s, but getting one that works is quite an endeavor, and not a journey I will go down again. The Kahr PM9 can be a little hit or miss, so don't be surprised if you buy one and it needs to be exchanged......but otherwise are generally reliable if you get a good one. I found mine by contacting a forum member that I could place some trust in, and even paid him extra to shoot another 150 rounds out of it before I bought it just to see whether it was still good to go.

That PM9 has been great for me since, and regardless of me only carrying it a handful of times per year, I can't bring myself to let it go just because I don't know if I'll easily come by another reliable one.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-21-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I get it and that's why the Seecamp interested me. There really isn't anything else that small. I always thought that I heard that the LCP's were not pleasant to shoot either? For a guy who currently carries a comped 19.5 with a Surefire X300u, the pocket gun might just be a fantasy. I like the concept of one is none and while I have carried a pair of G19s in the past that is truly a PITA. This will take some more pondering for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think what you want needs to be hashed out a little better. Your wants are kind of all over the place.

Do you want something the size of a Seecamp, or do you want a (presumably reliable) compact 9? They're mutually exclusive.

The Kahr PM9 is probably the smallest 9mm out there that is still acceptably reliable for self defense....but anything larger than it is too big to really be called a pocket gun. I know that some people have very large pockets, there's a defunct member of the forum that used to pocket carry an M&P Compact.....but that doesn't mean an M&P Compact is a pocket gun. IMO, a Glock 42, 43, P365, LC380 or LC9 are not pocket guns either.

You might want to consider 380 with a deliberate, informed ammunition selection. The LCP, for instance, is an excellent BUG/pocket gun and reasonable choice. The Kahr CW380 and P380 are without doubt the nicest shooting micro-380s, but getting one that works is quite an endeavor, and not a journey I will go down again. The Kahr PM9 can be a little hit or miss, so don't be surprised if you buy one and it needs to be exchanged......but otherwise are generally reliable if you get a good one. I found mine by contacting a forum member that I could place some trust in, and even paid him extra to shoot another 150 rounds out of it before I bought it just to see whether it was still good to go.

That PM9 has been great for me since, and regardless of me only carrying it a handful of times per year, I can't bring myself to let it go just because I don't know if I'll easily come by another reliable one.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Ed;

What broke on your Seecamps? Was it the same thing each time, or a different problem?
    In reviewing some of my letters to the company, it seems to have been different issues.

According to my letter written on 5/10/1994, regarding the second Seecamp which I bought new--"The gun suffers failures to feed in which the round makes no progress on the feed ramp and the slide appears to be locked open. I've tried the gun with a number of spare magazines that all function perfectly in another Seecamp and the result is always the same. I put 200 rounds through the gun for the recommended break-in, and it is still not reliable."

It took over 8 months to be repaired and a finally a certified letter to the company. I believe they chose to send me a new gun to replace the one that I had that wasn't functioning.

Another note, back in the 1990s when I first bought the gun, they came with one magazine and it was almost impossible to buy spare magazines.

A few years later the firing pin broke on my original Seecamp with less than 400 rounds through the gun. I sent it back to the company and it took close to a year to get it repaired and numerous faxes and certified letters to the company.

I wound up selling one of the two Seecamps and putting the other one away.

Then in 2013 I took my remaining Seecamp to the range to shoot and the hammer strut broke within 20-30 rounds. This gun had about 300 rounds through it and had been in the safe for storage for over a decade I sent it back and got it repaired. I did not fire it upon getting it returned. I suppose it is in my safe somewhere.

Bottom line: I would not trust the company or the gun. This certainly isn't a gun that you take out shooting land fire lots of rounds through like a Glock/HK/ Beretta/Sig/CZ/etc. I would not expect a gun like this to have close to their level of longevity. It is a tiny gun without sights designed to be used slightly beyond arms length. But you should be able to fire enough rounds through it to make sure that it is reliable, and then take it shooting from time to time and put a few rounds through it without worrying about it breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I get it and that's why the Seecamp interested me. There really isn't anything else that small. I always thought that I heard that the LCP's were not pleasant to shoot either?
    "Pleasant to shoot" and "Pocket Gun" are virtually mutually exclusive terms.
    A steel J frame with wad-cutters is reasonably pleasant and the airweight J's are more than tolerable as well with wad-cutters.
    The LCP is tolerable but not pleasant... A Hogue grip makes it a lot better but still not pleasant.
    Physics just can't be argued with... Small and light guns firing reasonably powerful ammunition are going to thump you.
    If you are set on a small pocket auto the LCP is your best bet... Otherwise look into a Centennial or LCR.

Seecamp .32 - jewel like build quality but abysmal to shoot with my XXL hands. It's the gun I'm most happy to have sold.

Walther PP .32 - simply fantastic and pleasant to shoot provided the slide doesn't bite you. It's amazing how much difference there is between a .32 PP and a .380 PPK.

Makarov 9x19 - robust is an understatement. If I remember correctly it only has two grooves for rifling (not going to pull it out of the safe to check), but hyper-accurate and one of the fastest shooting guns I've experienced.

Berettas in general - the brand I constantly underestimate, I think I've loved everyone I've ever shot and/or owned (except the Pico, no one bats 1000). Oversized for .32/.380, they are easy to carry and easy to shoot.

Site Supporter
    There’s always the Boberg/Bond Bullpup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6aoJFKRX6A

It’s about the size of a PM9, maybe smaller. I actually had the Boberg version for a while. The second gun I ever owned... and I couldn’t shoot it worth a damn then. Thinking back, it had a very nice DAO trigger and the recoil wasn’t too bad. It would probably shoot very well for a pocket pistol. Apparently Bond made some minor improvements to the design... reports suggest it’s reliable with approved ammo.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 12-21-2019 at 10:55 PM.

User Tag List