Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Your winter knife placement

About -20F to 120F where I lived. 11F is cold. Cold enough for me that any gloves to use long term in that temperature cannot be used with a pistol or to generally deploy a folding knife.

Clinch Pick (china pick) at 11:00 in a modified factory sheath (the dark star gear soft loop one is cool, but i'm happy with my factory modified, even after EWO)
    Spyderco factory waved Delica clipped on the hip pocket. Clipped knives are extremely common where I live, but Chris Fry does have a point about advertising with a clipped knife.

When you are bent at the hips a knife on a RCS/fry pocket shield is certainly harder to access that a clipped folder, but i assume the belt knife helps become an alternative in that case. YMMV/situational dependent.

Generally when I'm outside in normal life I'm wearing shooting style gloves with my hands in my pockets. It keeps my hands a little warmer than just bare hands in pockets and things like metal railings do not suck the heat out of them as easily when wearing gloves. The warmer your hands are when you start whatever, they longer they will stay dexterous of course.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 02-10-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Thank you. Not sure if you had found something like runcible showed above. The concept looks rather interesting.
    Mike C,

It’s a house-brand one-off, albeit of a design that will probably eventually enter limited production for CPs. I have an organizational requirement as to the number of spare magazines on my person and the use/carry of a Spyderco Rescue 79mm, and that’s my way of both addressing the requirements and maximizing accessibility.

It’s composed of a kydex fold-over sheathe with a flat-folding soft pouch attached behind it with spacers so that both components straddle the pants-waistband. Combination sheath/mag-pouches usually have the knife trying to orient one way and the magazine trying to orient another way: this allows for each to maintain its own preferred alignment, and for their to be no penalty when I’m running light/sans-magazine.

I wouldn’t be comfortable making the sheath with the edge facing the inner thigh, given the realities of seated access.

I’ll try and snag a picture before I hit the road.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

here...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by SLUZENE View Post
    About -20F to 120F where I lived. 11F is cold. Cold enough for me that any gloves to use long term in that temperature cannot be used with a pistol or to generally deploy a folding knife.

Clinch Pick (china pick) at 11:00 in a modified factory sheath (the dark star gear soft loop one is cool, but i'm happy with my factory modified, even after EWO)
    Spyderco factory waved Delica clipped on the hip pocket. Clipped knives are extremely common where I live, but Chris Fry does have a point about advertising with a clipped knife.

When you are bent at the hips a knife on a RCS/fry pocket shield is certainly harder to access that a clipped folder, but i assume the belt knife helps become an alternative in that case. YMMV/situational dependent.

Generally when I'm outside in normal life I'm wearing shooting style gloves with my hands in my pockets. It keeps my hands a little warmer than just bare hands in pockets and things like metal railings do not suck the heat out of them as easily when wearing gloves. The warmer your hands are when you start whatever, they longer they will stay dexterous of course.
    Mechanix gloves first. The heavy duty stuff over those.

It allows plenty of dexterity whilst keeping your skin covered from the elements. When you're done doing what you have to do, the heavy stuff goes back on.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Mike C,

It’s a house-brand one-off, albeit of a design that will probably eventually enter limited production for CPs. I have an organizational requirement as to the number of spare magazines on my person and the use/carry of a Spyderco Rescue 79mm, and that’s my way of both addressing the requirements and maximizing accessibility.

It’s composed of a kydex fold-over sheathe with a flat-folding soft pouch attached behind it with spacers so that both components straddle the pants-waistband. Combination sheath/mag-pouches usually have the knife trying to orient one way and the magazine trying to orient another way: this allows for each to maintain its own preferred alignment, and for their to be no penalty when I’m running light/sans-magazine.

I wouldn’t be comfortable making the sheath with the edge facing the inner thigh, given the realities of seated access.

I’ll try and snag a picture before I hit the road.
    Thanks for the photos. The idea of straddling the waist-band is a great idea as is combining the two items this is a neat solution that looks more compact and comfortable while still minimizing bulk. To address making the blade facing the other direction I was thinking in terms of carrying outboard and not in the inguinal crease, (I wouldn't want a blade facing that way either being parked there). I was just curious about placement and mounting direction as I have been playing with access in winter apparel as well as summer and found that some mounting positions just don't provide speedy access for all clothing variations when pressure is applied with sparring partners. Really appreciate the photos.

Glad to! If you were to get something made by another maker in similar concept, I wouldn’t be put out in the least. If you’ve got something pikalish in mind and don’t mind my incredibly elongated lead times, you’d be welcome to PM me.

(One note on carrying outboard - it’s at the relative limits of the dictim “on or inside of the space between hips” as relates to accessible fighting equipment; and with that loses out for opportunistic/ambidextrous in-fight weapon’s access, requires a bit more available range of motion for both the initial access and drawstroke, and given its hang independent of the hinge of the proximal hip may protrude from below your cover garment more readily when seated. There are also some comfort issues given the particulars of stacking gear directly over the bony parts of The hip.)
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Clinch Pick in my normal position at around 11:30, more horizontal on the belt to aid in concealment. Underneath my hip-length parka, it can be difficult to get to, but it's possible.Because of that difficulty, I do add a blade. I usually go with a waved folder of some variant in the outermost pocket of my jacket.

@runcible PM inbound. Sounds like much of what I am learning with a sparring partner you’ve already discovered. Once my day frees up I’d really like to chat with you.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Mechanix gloves first. The heavy duty stuff over those.

It allows plenty of dexterity whilst keeping your skin covered from the elements. When you're done doing what you have to do, the heavy stuff goes back on.
    Exactly. I like as thin as possible, as grippy as possible and as wind proof as possible. For warmer weather it's something like the Magpul or SKD gloves, colder weather usually Outdoor Research. I use gloves like this inside of mittens when hunting in deep cold (for my area) (-8 to +10F with 30-40mph wind). I can usually shoot with the mittens (tied together with the loop running around my neck) but I generally rip the mittens off to make a shot with shooting gloves.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 02-10-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Outdoor Research Liners for temps 20 and above.

Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves for -5-20.

Liners inside ice climbing gloves for < -5.

Five winters and counting. Dexterity is great and warmth is good overall. I can shoot in them and use my knives in them.

I find once gloves go on, Folders need holes or waves to be reliably opened, regardless of gloves. Fixed blades need to be decently thick in cross section but not too thick. Guns are similar.

User Tag List