Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your winter knife placement

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Hell, it’s hard to foul even for accomplished fighters who know it’s there, for that matter.
    Oof, you're not wrong. Having been fortunate enough to watch a range of folks experiment with it standing, grounded, and in confined spaces; the only detriment to it that I've found is in the length requirement of one's top.

I can't recall the class for the life of me, but two studs drilling together ended up with four-hands\one-knife, with the trainer still in the sheath; and the tie-breaker was the one with the knife level-changing the knife right out and then stepping into a hip-assisted drive - all of that in less than 3" of travel.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Always the same no matter the season or weather. Either a Watson Magni on the belt Appendix support side. Or a AMTAC Northman in the front support side pocket. I quit carrying broken (folding) knives a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Clinch Pick at 11:00 works well for heavy jackets.
    Same for me, but hoodies are my go to winter clothing.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    Same for me, but hoodies are my go to winter clothing.
    In NH? You must have some bionic hoodies. Any cold weather favorites?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Any cold weather favorites?
    Just the run of the mill hoodie from a thrift store.
    I have ones that are regular sized for me and then others that are one size larger.
    The extra sized ones go over the regular sized ones when extra insulation is needed.
    IME, wearing two hoodies the same size compresses the insulating space too much and also restricts movement.
    I will say that the hoodies are just used around the yard for chores and in town for errands.
    If I'm going out in the woods, then I'll wear more appropriate clothing to stay warm and dry.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

I'm not Andy and not in NH, but have spent quite a bit of time in colder climates - I have two that fit the bill. Both are less "sweatshirt" hoodie and much more "Carhartt/Duluth outerwear". One is Cabelas brand and looking at the site, no longer produced. The other is basically this (mine is several years old, might not be identical, but functionally similar).

FWIW, I frequently layer a standard sweatshirt hoodie with a hardshell outer. It gives good flexibility for temp swings (especially if a day starts cold and warms up by afternoon, or if the duration spent outside changes... sweatshirt may be enough for walking into/out of the gym, but may not be enough for extended periods outside). This does introduce another layer to clear if drawing something off the beltline (doesn't really affect objects - like knives - in pockets).

Banned
    I’m kind of a knife guy, so I have a number of different combos. Of late, it’s a reground China pick in a Cecil/JM sheath, standard CP placement, and a Ban Tang Pikal in a dedicated front pants pocket sheath, strongside. My lighter weight jacket has a Krudo flipper in one pocket and $34 surefire in the other. Now that it’s snowed a bit, I’ll probably move the Krudo and 6P to a warmer coat. Winter sucks.

ETA:

And
    What is that bottom knife please.
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-20-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Banned
    Not in NH either but I prefer to layer up and wear a light outer coat so I don't have to work around getting to my weapon under a parka. I wear the Army Gen 3 ECWCS under my outer fleece.

ETA link

https://www.fox21news.com/weather/co...ime-this-week/
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

I’m kind of a knife guy, so I have a number of different combos. Of late, it’s a reground China pick in a Cecil/JM sheath, standard CP placement, and a Ban Tang Pikal in a dedicated front pants pocket sheath, strongside. My lighter weight jacket has a Krudo flipper in one pocket and $34 surefire in the other. Now that it’s snowed a bit, I’ll probably move the Krudo and 6P to a warmer coat. Winter sucks.
    For the intrepid buyer, everything listed by (not abbreviating that username...):

Shivworks Clinch Pick https://shivworkspg.com/product/shivworks-clinch-pick/
    JM Custom made Clinch Pick Sheath https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/CT-C...ck-Sheath.html
    Ban Tang SAF (Pikal) https://empireoutfitter.com/products...-free-shipping
    Krudo Mozaik https://www.krudoknives.com/product/mozaik-folder/
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I very much enjoy and prefer inverted and angled carry of a knife descending below the support-side AIWB position: clinch pick style.

It plays well with my anatomy and the crowded nature of my belt, is accessible beneath any upper-body garment that I've put on it, and carrying there opens up more space above the belt for other workplace requirements.

It doesn't hurt that it's a very difficult draw to foul for the uninitiated.
    A picture would help my old brain. I think I know, and I may try it with my fixed blade.
    --Jason--

User Tag List