Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your winter knife placement

Site Supporter

Your winter knife placement

I was spoiled so to speak by living in a climate where my pants pocket or belt were easily accessible. A Delica or 2 were EDC in pockets. Now I live in winter (as I used to). It was 11 this morning. Pants and belt knives disappear under my heavy gear. There are lots of articles on winter guns. Ideas on winter knives?

That's a tough one, to which I don't have a good answer. In winter, I usually wear a longer coat to keep my butt warm(-er) which usually makes any kind of weapon access more difficult. So, also interested in replies.

Site Supporter
    I'll carry a folder in my outside coat pocket, loose. I keep my hands in my pockets when it's cold so it works. If you have a inside chest pocket on your coat you can clip s folder there but deployment is slooow.
    --Jason--

ZT Emerson folder in my strong side pocket. Clinch Pick at 11:00 works well for heavy jackets.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Normally I wear waist length jackets so access to pockets is easy. However, I sometimes carry a Bud Nealy Pesh Kabz with the sheath clipped to an inside jacket pocket when wearing a suit and overcoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Either a clinch pick in its normal place, a Hideaway Knife inside my left pocket, or a SOCP dagger in my pants pocket.

Neck knife outside all tucked garments. Like drawing AIWB just go under all hanging clothes. Folder or fixed blade. Bigger issue is opening folder with gloves. Hint: two hands. Elevated Spyder hole like a Delica can be pinched and pulled with gloved off hand.

I’m kind of a knife guy, so I have a number of different combos. Of late, it’s a reground China pick in a Cecil/JM sheath, standard CP placement, and a Ban Tang Pikal in a dedicated front pants pocket sheath, strongside. My lighter weight jacket has a Krudo flipper in one pocket and $34 surefire in the other. Now that it’s snowed a bit, I’ll probably move the Krudo and 6P to a warmer coat. Winter sucks.

ETA:

And
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-19-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I very much enjoy and prefer inverted and angled carry of a knife descending below the support-side AIWB position: clinch pick style.

It plays well with my anatomy and the crowded nature of my belt, is accessible beneath any upper-body garment that I've put on it, and carrying there opens up more space above the belt for other workplace requirements.

It doesn't hurt that it's a very difficult draw to foul for the uninitiated.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post

It doesn't hurt that it's a very difficult draw to foul for the uninitiated.
    Hell, it’s hard to foul even for accomplished fighters who know it’s there, for that matter.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List