Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your winter knife placement

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Outdoor Research Ice Climbing Gloves for -5-20.
    Model/style? I've had *horrible* luck with cold-weather gloves *for years*. In Wisconsin. In winter.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

In flipping through the thread again for those that prefer a folder from front pocket of something like a heavy winter jacket or parka why the folder vs short fixed? I am finding that fixed blades are a heck of a lot easier to deploy especially when dexterity is an issue due to gloves or just cold. Mostly I am not liking then because when pressure is applied while rolling in my gear I've found folders almost impossible to deploy unless strong side hip is away. That is why I am presently thinking of going to a small fixed inside coat pocket that can be moved to belt line when the outer jacket is removed much like small round gun or pocket auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Model/style? I've had *horrible* luck with cold-weather gloves *for years*. In Wisconsin. In winter.
    https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/a...s-243319?cat=4

Bear in mind, these give up warmth for dexterity. My needs may be different from your's, but for general winter wear, I find them serviceable. I've shoveled the car in them, but I've not done a whole house/walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    In flipping through the thread again for those that prefer a folder from front pocket of something like a heavy winter jacket or parka why the folder vs short fixed? I am finding that fixed blades are a heck of a lot easier to deploy especially when dexterity is an issue due to gloves or just cold. Mostly I am not liking then because when pressure is applied while rolling in my gear I've found folders almost impossible to deploy unless strong side hip is away. That is why I am presently thinking of going to a small fixed inside coat pocket that can be moved to belt line when the outer jacket is removed much like small round gun or pocket auto.
    If I'm going to move the weapon between layers it is hard to beat a simple folder for that work. A pocket sheath/pocket holster sized to work well in a coat pocket is usually not the same as those sized to work well in pants pockets; at least for me.

With respect to folders, waved is basically my go to in this regard. A Spyderco P'Kal or the Kershaw-Emerson CQC-4KXL (https://www.amazon.com/Pocketknife-K.../dp/B00TAD2NYO) setup P'Kal style works well with my square coat pockets. I go BIG with the folder, for two reasons. One, when dexterity is reduced bigger knife is easier to hold on to. Two, the bigger blade has more inertia for snapping open when the wave catches the edge of the pocket.

It's true that the draw can be fouled when entangled, but that is mostly true of any draw that isn't from the midline forward of the hips. Set your folders up P'Kal style, so that the front of the pocket opens them and they will be much closer to the midline and usually forward of the hips. The draw can still be fouled, but has to be done from above and in vs. tying the arm up high. It's not enough to just tie bicep close to the hip, you have to tie the forearm/wrist and lock it down.

Honestly, when bundled up in *serious* winter gear, I just go for some sort of impact weapon in an outer jacket pocket, over a knife. A *meaty* carabiner with 6-8" of paracord double braid and some keys on the other end is easier to grab than any of my folders. I’m talking puffy jacket/puffy gloves weather, here.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

@RevolverRob

I completely agree that the folder would be easier to move between layers and would be much less injurious to myself than something fixed. I was looking at a two knife solution but the more I spar with more than one blade plus the gun I realized that I can't defend everything at once, plus crap tends to fall out or deployed against me. I think ultimately I'd like a solution that would allow me to use one fixed blade to move between layers or a folder that could be carried and deployed like the CP but then closed and moved to a pocket for the winter time in an outer garment. I suppose what I could do is use the CP 90% of the year and the other 10% run something like what runcible has with a folder and then move the back and forth from the pocket to the sheath as required. I like this idea a lot, I've played with multi knife solutions but don't feel that I posses the skill set to: A use things in its most effective manner, and B fend it effectively, (I really need an EWO class bad). I would also really like to keep things simple with index and drawing one type of knife. Not that people can't switch back and fourth between different gear but I want my effort and time to be maximized I also want the minimal amount of shit to maintain control of and account for.

Great point on the P'Kal's. I will look more at them but I really want to get away from clips on pockets.
    Last edited by Mike C; 02-10-2020 at 04:25 PM.

User Tag List