Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 351: The Double Test

Week 351: The Double Test

Week 351: The Double Test

Results may be posted until January 20th, 2020.

Original test designed by: Ken Hackathorn
    Range: 20 yards
    Target: B8 repair center, download here: https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: See variations below
    Rounds Fired: 10

Let's shoot a variation of the classic "The Test" from Ken Hackathorn - the "Double Test".

Set up your B8 target at 20 yards. At the start signal, fire 10 rounds. 20 seconds is the par time. Your choice of start position - ready, holstered, or concealed. Use a .3 second grace period with the par time so that you can react and stop shooting if time runs out (set the par to 20 seconds, but only shots over 20.3 seconds are overtime shots that count as misses.) 90 or more points under the par time Passes the Double Test.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster (if applicable), concealment (if applicable)
    Start position
    Pass or fail
    Number of points
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot this on the department’s indoor range, lit, this AM.
    Start position: high ready. Equipment: Gen5G19MOS w/ACRO mounted. Ammo: 147 gr. Winchester FMJ training ammo.
    Result: 95 points in 14.57 seconds, a pass. Thank God for the partial 7 ring, as I crunched one low right, about 4 o’clock.
    (2)Xs, (5)10s, (2)9s and that dang “7”. If I have a few moments, I may get sporty and try it concealed out of my new Tenicor ARX LUX; really digging this holster with new TLR7.
    I take this opportunity to thank Mr. White, LL, Tom Jones and all who work this site-it’s inspirational.
    A safe and happy Christmas and New Years to all.

File this under:”Be careful what you wish for...”

Afternoon brief session on indoor range, same as above, but with Tenicor holster under fleece vest.
    Result: an 89 in 13.92 secs.; coulda/shoulda used more time. Weirdly, 4 “8s” to right-not sure what that is all about...

Not discouraged, as I can see the time, and this is cleanable, I think, at least for me from ready, and I should push the draw.

Shot Mr. Givens Rangemaster Advanced Bullseye, out of his new book. A 99 on the 5 yard roundup string, a 48 @ 10 yds. in low light in 4.54 seconds, and a 49 @25 yards in 43.05 seconds: 196 total. Content with that...

One shot concealed draw to a 3x5 @3yds, 1.40. I’ll do my best to make it through the holidays.

Cheers, all!

Brief range sessions at the department indoor range, Friday and today. Same equipment, sans cover/concealment garment. Friday, from unconcealed draw, an 88 in 18.63 seconds. *Sigh*
    Today, just before lunch, my thinking was back to the fundamentals and the basic setup. I misjudged the target range on initial run, and at 15 yards had a 99 in 13.11 seconds-*sigh*(again). Moved to 20 yards; from the ready, 10 rounds of Winchester 147gr. fmj in 15.85 secs.for 91 points(whew).
    I’m having slight difficulty finding the throttle position for this one, so I intend to make it a weekly quiz, so to speak, and hope to work to a draw and then concealed. The ACRO red dot is certainly proving its worth...
    I have to note here the outstanding shot made by the “senior” shooter at the church tragedy in Texas just recently. Thank God he was there. I attempted a cold FAST before the accuracy runs and managed an 8.66(6.66 raw-yikes! miss one head=+2). The little cold drills taken from the “Doubts about 9mm” thread, @vdcgrips comments-relevant and instructive, IMHO.
    Happy New Year, all!

Langdon PX4CC

FAIL x3:

70 - too fast.
    75 - after deducting for two shots overtime.
    59 - timing was right but just wasn’t seeing what I needed to see.

My aging eyes really struggle with the B-8 past 15 yards.

Site Supporter
    M9
    JMCK AIWB
    Concealed with hoodie

Fail x2
    Run 1 - 22.36 sec, 91/100. Two shots over time. End score 71/100.
    Run 2 - 18.46 sec, 54/100. Three misses.

I would much rather run over time and make hits than feel rushed and miss.

Department indoor range session before lunch:Gen519MOS w/ACRO, 147fmj duty practice ammo.
    Start the new year off with a challenge, that’s me! An 86(sigh)in 14.28 seconds, 1st shot at 2.52 from the ready. Gotta work on it in the new year!
    “El Snatcho”, as Vickers calls him, reared his ugly head about halfway through the string. Good news-certainly saw it with the dot. Bad news: off the repair center(!) 2”8s”, rest 10sand “Xs”-argh.
    7.65 cold concealed FAST, clean to start. 193 on Givens Jan. “Baseline Drill”so there’s hope and work to be done-looking forwards to 2020!

Fail X 4.

All shot from low ready.

PX4CC 75 in 16.09
    PX4CC 79 in 15.63
    CZP01 83 in 20.79
    CZP01 84 in 16.93

Every run had 1 shot clear off the B8. The PX4CC had shots scattered all over the B8. The CZ had most shots in the black, with enough strays to keep the score down. I clearly shoot the CZ better.

G19MOS as above. An 86(again!)in 14.83*sigh*, from ready.
    I don’t want this to be a psychological barrier, so will address it again this week.

Another attempt this morning before 0800(and coffee!?!). From the ready, G19MOS, ACRO, etc. on lit indoor range.
    Bit disappointing going the other way(84). I’m shooting a bit too fast, I think, I’m the 13-14 second range.
    I will give this a rest for a few days, and have at it again! 90+ points are certainly doable.

User Tag List