Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kahr K9

Site Supporter

New Kahr K9

Kahr is one platform I've had zero experience with. I generally prefer hammer-fired guns, but I'm always game for a slim, reliable, single-stack that I shoot well. Figured it was time to give Kahr a try--god knows my P239 isn't getting any slimmer and I just never really warmed up to the EMP I bought earlier this year.

Name:  E0A0DCF5-29A3-4E1D-96DE-75FB60041544.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  41.9 KB

I blasted through Kahr's recommended 200 round break-in period this evening. No failures to eject or feed. Two premature slide lockbacks--one in the first 50, one in 100 - 150. Could have been my thumb tipping the lever on recoil. Not sure. All FMJ, 115 and 124.

Subjectively, I really enjoyed shooting it. I found the trigger to be... kinda fun. Something satisfying about that long, consistent pull ending in a nice crisp snap. It's challenging, but at the same time doesn't feel like a hindrance. When I took my time, it did its job--managed some nice groups at 10 yards. Even shooting fast (which I didn't find difficult) the spread wasn't bad. And I think, for me, the short trigger reach mitigates a lot of potential DA difficulties. I could really control the trigger stroke and maintain solid pressure on the grip. That said, some more aggressive texturing might be nice (I know someone makes G10s)--though the rubber Hogues do feel nice.

Also... the size. The thing is small. Smaller than it appears in pictures. It's smaller than my Makarov and shorter than my P230. And it's significantly more compact than my P239. Tucked it in a holster and it felt very comfortable AIWB.

I know there's a few Kahr fans around here. The recent thread showing some superb shooting with a K9 kinda inspired me. When I started getting interested in guns, the K9 was one first guns I really wanted. The unique engineering (offset feed ramp, low bore axis, etc.) and the idea of purpose-built concealable pistol appealed to me. And I guess so did Jodie Foster, shooting pimps and thugs. I ended up getting into Sigs and Berettas and kinda forgot about Kahr.

But, as they say, here we are...

Anyway, I'm digging it so far. As long as the premature slide lock thing goes away, I plan on keeping it and shooting the hell out of it.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 12-18-2019 at 10:56 PM.

What's a Kahr a platform?

That pistol is the only one I've seen my Dad not get rid of. And anytime I buy another pistol he compares it to the k9 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Two premature slide lockbacks--one in the first 50, one in 100 - 150.

As long as the premature slide lock thing goes away,.
    More than likely your slide stop needs to be very lightly filed.
    Lock the slide open, insert a magazine with 2 rounds of the 124gr. FMJ (largest bullet nose profile) in it and look down through the ejection port at where the slide stop tab interfaces with the magazine follower to lock open on empty.
    Use a Bic pen or similar (so you don't accidentally release the slide on your finger) to very slightly wiggle the nose of the top round in the magazine, if it can touch the slide stop at all, that's your problem.
    Very lightly file/polish the slide stop tab (I use a coarse diamond sharpening stone) to remove a few thousandths at a time until you get a hairs width of gap between the bullet nose and the slide stop.
    If you file away too much the slide stop tab won't make enough contact with the follower to lock open on empty, so take your time and work slowly.
    You'll probably have to recheck for interference with your carry JHP's, especially rounds like the Golden Saber and most 147gr. ammo that all have fat rounded nose profiles (or just carry a 115gr. tapered nose round like Critical Duty and not worry about it).
    Anything else Kahr related @ me and I'll see if I can help.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I liked mine.
    David S.

I had one in DLC early on in my gun ownership. I always liked it but sold it when I thought I needed a crisp trigger break. Mine was reliable and really well made. I’ve always kind of had my eye out for one on the local buy/sell/trade website but they seem to have kind of disappeared.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    More than likely your slide stop needs to be very lightly filed.
    Lock the slide open, insert a magazine with 2 rounds of the 124gr. FMJ (largest bullet nose profile) in it and look down through the ejection port at where the slide stop tab interfaces with the magazine follower to lock open on empty.
    Use a Bic pen or similar (so you don't accidentally release the slide on your finger) to very slightly wiggle the nose of the top round in the magazine, if it can touch the slide stop at all, that's your problem.
    Very lightly file/polish the slide stop tab (I use a coarse diamond sharpening stone) to remove a few thousandths at a time until you get a hairs width of gap between the bullet nose and the slide stop.
    If you file away too much the slide stop tab won't make enough contact with the follower to lock open on empty, so take your time and work slowly.
    You'll probably have to recheck for interference with your carry JHP's, especially rounds like the Golden Saber and most 147gr. ammo that all have fat rounded nose profiles (or just carry a 115gr. tapered nose round like Critical Duty and not worry about it).
    Anything else Kahr related @ me and I'll see if I can help.
    Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I read your post from years ago saying you had to file the tab to get it to run JHPs. Had hoped it wouldn't be the case with FMJs... but we'll see. I will try the pen/wiggle test tonight when I get home from work. On casually inspecting the clearances in there, it's tight. Wouldn't take much to bump that tab. And I'll definitely let you know if any other Kahr concerns come up. Thanks again.

Vending Machine Operator
    I've never been that interested in Kahrs, except for the K9. It's a very nice looking pistol that seems not to cut many corners, quality-wise.

I never have quite pulled the trigger on one because of Kahr's reputation of having weak magazines and the reliability concerns that creates. But the K9 does seem to be the least-complained-about Kahr there is.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    But the K9 does seem to be the least-complained-about Kahr there is.
    That was more or less my reasoning, as well. To be honest, I was tempted to get a T9. But I figured the K9 was the most proven.

I have been very tempted by the T9, its a great feeling pistol. The Kahr triggers are great if you're OK with the pull length. Very smooth for sure.

User Tag List