Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Cross Rifle

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm actually kind of surprised Ruger hasn't done something like this with the RPR. They've already chambered that gun in about everything it can be chambered in. The next logical step to me would be to lighten it up for the hunting market.

Instead they decided to take the M77/Hawkeye and revamp it into a precision rifle that was the norm 20 years ago. Not that I have anything against the M77 it just doesn't strike me as being the precision bolt gun people want nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    That Ruger 77 Hawkeye precision rifle may be the best long range value on the market - my shooting partner has one. There are still a lot of shooters who prefer a more traditional approach than a chassis rifle. Example - the popularity of the KRG Bravo stock. (I have a chassis custom precision rifle plus a Bravo stocked rifle).

Site Supporter
    I'm more interested in the cartridge than the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    That Ruger 77 Hawkeye precision rifle may be the best long range value on the market - my shooting partner has one. There are still a lot of shooters who prefer a more traditional approach than a chassis rifle. Example - the popularity of the KRG Bravo stock. (I have a chassis custom precision rifle plus a Bravo stocked rifle).
    Don't get me wrong. The 77 is a solid offering. But I'm going to guess it doesn't sell anywhere near as well as the RPR does.

For the truly budget minded; I see Ruger is also selling the American in the Magpul Hunter stock. Not really a "precision" rifle but I bet it'll get the job done. I have an American in 6.5 Creedmoor. With ammo it likes it'll shoot about 3/4" groups. With ammo it doesn't like it'll do about an inch and a half. They have a couple 16" threaded barrel options too. Just right for the suppressor market.

Another rifle that appears to be a "best buy" in the traditional target rifle market is the Bergara.

Site Supporter
    When the memes start it’s real.

Name:  86F56069-C6E9-497E-B3B5-B8B1390B03F5.jpeg
Views: 904
Size:  35.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I'm more interested in the cartridge than the rifle.
    Indeed. The caliber is very interesting, and I'm curious to see how SIG factory ammunition will be priced.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Indeed. The caliber is very interesting, and I'm curious to see how SIG factory ammunition will be priced.
    And this is a 308 necked down to accept a 270 bullet? The 270-308 Wildcat has been around awhile although I think the 7mm-08 killed it off.

And this is a 308 necked down to accept a 270 bullet? The 270-308 Wildcat has been around awhile although I think the 7mm-08 killed it off.

I'm not sure about the provenance of the cartridge, but the thing that makes it interesting is the hybrid construction that allows for higher pressures than similar rounds such as the 7mm-08.

The 7mm caliber is fantastic, but too big a bore for a short action cartridge to drive it to velocities where it starts to get really interesting. Personally I feel like the reduction to 6.8mm along with the hybrid construction allowing for somewhat higher pressures could be a Goldilocks solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I'm not sure about the provenance of the cartridge, but the thing that makes it interesting is the hybrid construction that allows for higher pressures than similar rounds such as the 7mm-08.

The 7mm caliber is fantastic, but too big a bore for a short action cartridge to drive it to velocities where it starts to get really interesting. Personally I feel like the reduction to 6.8mm along with the hybrid construction allowing for somewhat higher pressures could be a Goldilocks solution.
    So this is the actual thing SIG submitted as the new military cartridge?

So this is the actual thing SIG submitted as the new military cartridge?

Yes, precisely, that's why it is so interesting!

User Tag List