Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Cross Rifle

So it’s basically a mish-mash of a Ruger Precision rifle and an AR?

I was interested in the Fix since they first came out. The idea of a lightweight rifle that can fill both hunting and precision roles while also having familiar ergonomics, inexpensive mags, short bolt lift, and barrels I can change out myself is really intriguing. I find it so much more reasonable to pay big money for a genuinely evolved weapon platform like this vs just a tuned up Rem 700. However, the 3K price tag was more than I personally would be willing to spend for a bolt gun at this time. Also, the pretentiousness of the name bothers me.

Im not sure how to feel about this Sig Cross. On the one hand this appears to do everything the Fix does while solving my two main gripes: it looks to be about half the price and has a non-pretentious name.
    On the other hand, is there something ethically wrong about buying a straight up copy of another gun? Particularly when the original probably hasnt been out long enough to pay off its R&D costs? Sig says they have just as much rights to the design as Q since the guy at Q was working for them when he first created this idea. I imagine they are correct from a legal standpoint, but can you imagine how you would feel if you were the brains behind this rifle and your former employer decides to use your ideas to sell a near identical product at half the price?

Also the dustcover in the prototype was neat. Kinda wish they included that on the production model, if for no other reason than just to differentiate themselves from the Fix.

Site Supporter
    Will be interesting to see how it turns out. I am concerned that as a compromise, it will not really fit the needs of hunters looking for a lightweight rifle or competitors. I hunt Mule Deer or Antelope in Wyoming each year - I moved to a Kimber Montana 280AI because I wanted as light a rifle as possible for the long hauls. This seems light but not light enough.

I am curious to see how the new 277 round works out too - I understand the goal of the 277 for a MILITARY cartridge (fit into a magazine or belt for carbine or MG) but not sure what that new 277 offers to a hunting or target rifle.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    There are plenty of lightweight precision hunting type rigs that are extremely modular from mild to wild that you can customize yourself and not limited to potentially few manufacturers making parts for them.

This is a wild lightweight rig and yes it's more than double the price but this has all the upgrades. Change to a steel barrel, SS Action and aluminum chassis it would cut a chunk of the price down at the expense of some weight.

-XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium Chassis and Carbon Buttsock
    -Lone Peak Fuzion Ti Action
    -Proof Research 24" Carbon Fiber Barrel in .284 (Additional 20" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor)
    -Rubicon Precision did the gunsmith
    -MBM Ti Muzzle Brake
    -Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 Mil-C

Weight ~ 8lbs-9lbs depending on accessories and bipod

Name:  IMG-1412.jpg
Views: 5763
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  IMG-1411.jpg
Views: 4511
Size:  72.0 KB
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 12-19-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Wow, I thought Q was just being Q, but holy shit that is such a fucking ripoff.
    It’s not like Q did anything ground breaking. All they did was put a simplified folding stock and short barrel on a chasis style bolt gun that is basically what target shooters have been using for almost twenty years.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 12-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.

all this back and forth on social media harkens me back to the Glock/Sigma days long ago....

This concept has been around for awhile and I am surprised it hasn't come out sooner. I will give them credit for putting together a good package though.

Here is the Q Fix circa 1949:

Attachment 46121
    Yes I realize it is more of a chassis gun, but the idea is clearly evident.

I have to admit that I was kind of saving for a Fix until I checked out some of their social media. I won't spend any dollars with that company. I will sit back and watch how the SIG performs. Like I have said, I am a bit wary of their products. However, I wish them success and will buy one if they show promise.
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 12-19-2019 at 04:32 PM.

At least when Sig knocks the Fix off, they call it something different. The Chinese would make a copy, and sell it as a Fix.

As consumers, we generally benefit from vigorous competition as it causes companies to offer better features for less cost. A lightweight bolt action that incorporates a folding stock, and AR features like magazines, grips and modularity, is my ideal as a lightweight hunting and practical rifle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If they offer it as an IOP and the percent discount stays the same, that's a $1200 rifle. I'm cheap enough that the price tag matters to me.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I’m with @GJM and would love to see this pattern/style catch on and evolve. I don’t want to beta test for Sig, however.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

A while back an associate of mine picked up a Fix and was having some accuracy issues with it. He asked me to spend some time with it and eval it.

I will skip to the punchline on the issues. There was nothing wrong with the rifle. The owner was not a "gun guy" and some things simply needed tightened up. Plus the gun weighs so little that shooting lightweight guns takes perfect fundamentals to achieve optimal performance.

Now with that out of the way.

I was not at all impressed with the FIX. I really wanted to be, as I had read up on it, and it sounded awesome.

However getting behind it, it was very awkward to manipulate, and not even slightly comfortable at all. In fact in the pic you can see I made up a cheek piece and a butt pad for it, as both pieces as they came from the factory were hard plastic and were very uncomfortable when you fired the rifle from the prone.

Trying to manipulate the bolt from the prone was not smooth at all. In fact it was just plain difficult and awkward. There was very little from an end-user standpoint that I cared for about the gun. Frankly, a T3 in a basic chassis was considerably more smooth and much easier to manipulate.

As much as I wanted to like the gun, in the end, I was really less than impressed with the FIX.

I would take a Bergara, Howa or a T3 over the Fix.

User Tag List