Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Sig Cross Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    If you have an LPVO lying around, it works surprisingly well given the adjustable stock riser.
    i considered that....I have a PA 1-8 budget optic from a cheap AR build laying around, which conceptually could actually be really slick on a 16" 308, but i'm not sure the quality is where i want it to be for this one. I may play with it to start though... since it's not zeroed on anything right now and the other optic is. Maybe it's worth playing with!
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I'm still interested in it for a packable hunting rifle - and call me weird, but I'd like to have a .223 offering available. For working with the wind calls and poking paper or steel, that's all I need for my area. Heck, I have to drive over 2 hours to even find 600 yards to shoot - and any true long-distance class I'm going to attend is going to be with a loaner rifle anyway.

For whatever reason, I saw one of these and developed an itch that had to be scratched...hopefully some time this week my 6.5 should show up. One local store has a couple in stock at MAP, but I asked my local peddler of things to see if they could order me one and their price came in like $50 cheaper. Win/win; my peddler of things gets his profits and I get what I want for less.

Anyway, now to sort out optics (all I have hanging around is an old, circa 2002 Tasco Super Sniper in 10x) and probably a dedicated can to it; the only 30 cal cans I have are a Dead Air Nomad and a Dead Air Sandman-L, both of which seem probably not quite right? Debating a Nomad-LT, or a CGS Hyperion, if I could find either in stock somewhere...also debating going for a quick detach muzzle device setup, or a plain old direct thread mount. I guess if I go to a Dead Air keymo setup I could just try the Sandman out and see if that meets my desires on it..

Picked it up yesterday, took it to the range today with 80 rounds of Hornady 147gr ELD (two boxes per vendor at around 35/ea from two local vendors), had my aforementioned old Tasco/SWFA SS 10x on it, in a Larue SPR mount...

I happened to have an extra Dead Air brake that I installed on it, and bought out my Sandman-L, and Nomad-30 just for shiggles, to see which I liked better. IMO the Nomad sounded better? Through plugs and muffs anyway...(I wasn't alone there, other guy was shooting I think a 20" AR, so noisy; wasn't checking for "quiet" though)

Zero shift was about an inch down and right (ish) at 100 wasn't bad - on either one - of course, since I was just on a bag and waving the thing around like a flag, it could have very well have been me too I was happy to get a 3" group, being all me just watching the crosshairs move around.

Otherwise - I've got pretty literally zero boltgun experience in the last 10 years, except for 60 rounds through a Gibbs 1903A4 repro that was...punishing...and would barely keep on an 8" plate at 100 (and I truly don't know if it was me or the gun). And I enjoyed it, to be honest - the bolt unlock and reload was very light.

Honestly I should probably get a decent 22lr bolt gun to learn on and get better with as 6.5 is kind of pricy...but, for a starter, this was nice. And it's light!

This thread needs more pics.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'm still interested in it for a packable hunting rifle - and call me weird, but I'd like to have a .223 offering available. For working with the wind calls and poking paper or steel, that's all I need for my area. Heck, I have to drive over 2 hours to even find 600 yards to shoot - and any true long-distance class I'm going to attend is going to be with a loaner rifle anyway.
    I shoot a ton of 223 out of my bolt actions and the first time I handled the Cross, thought it would be a fun package in 223. The range that I have access the most is 100 yards, but in the summer there is a range about 30 minutes away that I can shoot to 1K. We shoot our 223 bolt guns that far with the slippery 75 and 80 class bullets. Wind can make it interesting but they will get there.

There is a big thread on snipershide.com about guys hunting with 223's. I'm not a big game hunter, more varmint, but the consensus is that a well placed bullet will do the trick 90% of the time.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I shoot a ton of 223 out of my bolt actions and the first time I handled the Cross, thought it would be a fun package in 223. The range that I have access the most is 100 yards, but in the summer there is a range about 30 minutes away that I can shoot to 1K. We shoot our 223 bolt guns that far with the slippery 75 and 80 class bullets. Wind can make it interesting but they will get there.

There is a big thread on snipershide.com about guys hunting with 223's. I'm not a big game hunter, more varmint, but the consensus is that a well placed bullet will do the trick 90% of the time.
    Right, and I still wouldn't mind having a .223 model as an option. Although at this point, I'd have to question what it can do better than my other rifles for me at this point, but.....if budget wasn't a thing, I'd be wanting one yesterday.

I would certainly consider a Cross, if chambered for .223/5.56. Normally, I would use a heavier-barreled AR15, but, there are places I may travel, that do not allow me to bring an AR15-type rifle. (This includes places where I may not wish to travel, but where a flight may be diverted.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I would certainly consider a Cross, if chambered for .223/5.56. Normally, I would use a heavier-barreled AR15, but, there are places I may travel, that do not allow me to bring an AR15-type rifle. (This includes places where I may not wish to travel, but where a flight may be diverted.)
    I still look at the Cross every time I stop at the pro shop, but would have a lot more interest if they offered it in 5.56 in addition to the current .308. It’s very light and handy.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

Surprising that Ruger dropped the precision bolt rifles in .223/5.56. Now it isn't available in the Sig X rifle. I guess it's one of those dying cartridges I read about. I always thought it was a nice varmint cartridge. I shoot it exclusively.

That must be it. Precision rifles are marketed to people that hunt deer and medium game that shoot at >500 yds.

If the marketers knew that licences for rifle hunters were declining I think they would reconsider.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-06-2022 at 10:32 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List