Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Sig Cross Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Surprising that Ruger dropped the precision bolt rifles in .223/5.56. Now it isn't available in the Sig X rifle. I guess it's one of those dying cartridges I read about. I always thought it was a nice varmint cartridge. I shoot it exclusively.

That must be it. Precision rifles are marketed to people that hunt deer and medium game that shoot at >500 yds.
    My guesses-

-Most people already have a bolt action 223 and if not, they have an AR.

-The price was substantially more for a 223 bolt action compared to other bolt actions on the market in that caliber

-The Ruger had a large firing pin that was piercing primers. They should have used a small pin similar to an AR. This gave it some bad press.

-Don't you know that 6.5 Jesusmoore and 308 are the only calibers that you can shoot past 600 yards? 😉
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I still look at the Cross every time I stop at the pro shop, but would have a lot more interest if they offered it in 5.56 in addition to the current .308. It’s very light and handy.
    A light .223 bolt rifle is just the ticket for a lot of uses. I had a Howa Mini .223 for awhile but sold it. The #2 barrel was just too light. The POI started walking after a few shots due to barrel heat. The std barrel would be better and I think that's what they sell now.

All of my rifle shooting is from a bench these days so no longer have use for a light .223 bolt rifle. I still have a heavy barrel Howa though.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This thread needs more pics.
    Had mine out today

How it started:

Name:  IMG_1499-cropped.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  99.4 KB

Magpul bipod (I mean, cheap, and available), Tasco Super Sniper 10x42 (bought it when they were closing it out but before SWFA started cranking out their own, I think), shooting at that time some Aguila 140gr boat tail rounds that a local store happened to have at around a buck and a half a round, so I picked it up. The first 20 or so rounds were without the can; I have a Dead Air brake at the end of the barrel.

How it ended:

Name:  IMG_1501-cropped.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  86.7 KB

After I went through the Aguila, I switched to some Hornady 147gr ELDs I bought a bunch of.

I dunno if it was me (probably) or what, but I found it really difficult to keep 5 shots inside...let's call it a softball, at 100 yards. It was just all over. Part of it was obviously me; I also think that whomever decided to cast those concrete benches never shot a gun/rifle in their life and based the design on something that someone who bowls for a living told them that they thought rifle shooters might like; it's just...the wrong size, the wrong shape, the wrong height. Next time I think I'll bring a big tarp or something and just lay prone Getting it comfortable to the point where I could actually grip and hold the gun steady for any length of time...either my arm was falling off the edge, or something. There was a weird combination of no room to do anything, and this giant useless block of concrete in front of me.

Anyway, I grabbed an old leaky bag I had in the back of the truck and used that instead of the bipod, and things improved a bit. Groups shrunk to a baseball or less! Again - I don't know if it's me, a crappy scope mounting job (entirely possible), the ammo, the rifle, what. I don't really shoot for groups, so...learning the hard way. I need to clean it and the Beretta I had out to the range today; I'm going to go over all the screws and whatnot and make sure everything's still torqued down.

Maybe I should be smrt and actually use the 10/22 I bought years ago, and re-learn all the basic rifle marksmanship shit I forgot over the last 30 years with that, the inexpensive way..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    FWIW:

So I’ve noticed the “schroedinger’s safety” issue mentioned in the video in which flicking the safety off instead of pushing it all the way results in the selector stopping between the safe and fire positions. SIG claims it’s not an issue because the gun won’t fire in the intermediate position.

Is there any aftermarket or gunsmith solution for this? Have any Cross owners had issues or are y’all just living with it?

Any updates on the SIG Cross? I handled one today and could see myself getting one...

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter

Sig Cross 308 Initial Range Report and Impressions

Here are some initial observations on my new Sig Cross in .308:

This is a relatively light and handy rifle. My bare rifle was 6.66 lbs. out of the box. With Warne Mountain Tech medium 30 mm rings and Vortex Viper PST II 3 - 15 X 40 scope, it comes in at 8.86 lbs. The folding stock and 16" barrel make for a compact package.

The 2 stage trigger is pretty darn good. It can be easily adjusted by the user. When fully lightened, my trigger measures 2 lbs. 1.1 oz.

The adjustable stock feels solid and should allow anyone from Andre the Giant to Peter Dinklage to achieve a good fit. It’s slightly annoying that the stock must be folded to remove the bolt. The stock can be configured to fold to the left or right.

The modular design of the rifle will allow for a robust aftermarket. The manual safety mimics the AR-15. I like that.

I fired about 50 rounds to achieve zero and do some initial group measurements. The 1/10 twist barrel seems to favor heavier bullets. Toward the end of my session, I fired a .944" 5 round group with Hornady 178 grain AMAX over 43.4 grains Varget. There was significant vertical stringing as the barrel had heated up a good bit. With a broken-in cool barrel, I think it will shoot about .75 MOA. No malfunctions occurred.

All in all, I'm quite pleased. This rifle will shoot.

Any new news on the additional calibers?

Just saw a YouTube video from a group I've never watched before, somewhat low tech.

They went to SIG, and shot a 300 WM Cross. No mention of anything else.

Otherwise on YouTube every other video regarding the Cross is between at least 6 months and 24 months old.

The Sig is a good concept but they should have taken it further, and maybe Gen II will have these features-

Quick barrel change option.

Interchangeable bolt heads.

Ability to take 223, 6.5G, and 308 based cartridge magazines. Even if a magwell change is required.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I was at the range today, zeroing my .300 WM with Barnes 180 in preparation for an upcoming elk trip. I had my .308 Cross with me, and decided to shot three rounds at 300 yards, since I had a B8 up. It has an Omega suppressor and Leupold Mark 6 1-6. The only ammo I had was Gold Dot 150, and this rifle wasn't zeroed for this load. The 6 power with a horseshoe reticle isn't an ideal group shooting scope, but I dialed one mil and let rounds fly. I was quite pleased with the result. It is a comfortable rifle to shoot.

Name:  DECE22DD-EABA-4836-B64E-385584ABF70A.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  34.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List