Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Bolt Gun setups

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar

Precision Bolt Gun setups

This year I was finally able to build my first personal precision rifle build and I've already made some changes which I believe it is nearly complete now. -Richard

Earlier setup
    Zero Compromise Optic ZC527 5-27x56 M3X NLE
    Hawkins Precision Heavy Tactical 1" rings
    Impact Precision 737R Action AW Cut
    Bartlein Carbon Fiber M24 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and threaded by Rubicon Precision
    Bix and Andy Tac Sport Pro
    MBM self timing Brake
    XLR Industries Element 4.0 Magnesium with Carbon Fiber stock and grip
    MDT magazines
    Atlas Cal Bipod
    Total weight just under 12 pounds with the bipod and no magazine

Name:  IMG-1982.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  102.8 KB

Current setup with changes

Changed my setup from the XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium to the Envy Pro JV, decided to go from the NRL Hunter Lightweight open setup to the NRL Hunter Heavyweight open setup with a XLR Envy Pro with C6. The balance of this setup is amazing. Changed out the Hawkins rings to an ARC M-Brace mount 1.27" 20 MOA since I wanted inclination for the typical distances that I'm shooting which is out to ~1,200 yards with consistency but will try a little farther if conditions allow me. I hope to shoot this new setup soon!

Future changes
    Hawkins Heavy Tactical 1.26" 20 MOA mount to replace this borrowed ARC mount.
    Grab an additional Bartlein or Benchmark 26" 6mm Creed or GT barrel

Weight
    XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium 11 pounds 11 ounces with bipod
    XLR Envy Pro w/o weights as seen below 14 pounds 1.5 ounces with bipod

Name:  IMG_3197.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  64.5 KB
    Name:  IMG-3239.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  38.9 KB

Dan Bertocchinni sighted it in for me since he's our pro shooter and it took me awhile to even go out to the range. Here is some 5 round groups at 100 yards with Hornady 147 ELDM and establish a baseline dope out to 1,200 yards.

Name:  IMG-1381.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  36.0 KB
    Name:  IMG-1382.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  30.6 KB

Shooting this setup out at a property that we have access to two ranges, the "short range" is out to about 550 and the ELR is out to 2,000 yards so far.
    My first time shooting the rifle at a 100 yard plate and the smallest KYL target which are slightly angled at 100 yards from where I'm shooting. I was so excited actually shooting this thing I didn't get as many pictures as I should have that day. There was also a KYL rack at 500ish I cleaned consistently, I'm just glad i finally have my own equipment so that I really want to shoot long range as my schedule permits.

2 shots each target

Name:  IMG-2157.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  IMG-2158.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  52.9 KB

A few rifles from that morning

Name:  IMG-2164.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  100.3 KB
    Name:  IMG-2170.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  99.5 KB

Dope confirmed at 1,200 yards

Name:  IMG-2177.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  86.8 KB

Previous pictures of the short and long range

Name:  IMG-1615.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  394B84FE-6DBA-4E44-8AC6-502C872AEFCF.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  53.6 KB
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 10-16-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Very cool. I’ve been reading and watching Youtube videos about the NRLHunter Series. I may have to give that a shot one of these days. In the meantime I’ve been alternating shooting USPSA with NRL22, PRS22, and centerfire PRS matches. Toss in the odd LR Varmint (silhouette) match here and there for trigger time.

My centerfire build that I just recently completed:

Impact Precision 737R short action with 27” Proof Research competition contour chambered in 6mm GT
    Trigger Tech 2-stage trigger
    Area 419 Hellfire Match comp
    MDT ACC chassis w/ internal weights installed.
    Atlas CAL bipod w/Arca clamp
    Burris XTR Pro 5.5-30x-56 scope w/ SCR2 reticle
    Burris Signature Rings

As is, weighs in at 21.9 lbs and balances perfectly a few inches in front of the magwell. Even without the internal chassis weights I’m in the mid-18’s. The Proof barrel with the competition contour is a heavy beast, but helps with balancing during positional shooting and the weight helps mitigate recoil (as does the A419 comp).

Pic below is from the other day when I was doing load work up (10 rnd ladder test to find the nodes in the speed curve). Magnetospeed V3 w/ MK Machine mount to the Arca rail on the MDT chassis (as opposed to strapping the Magnetospeed to the barrel).
    Name:  48A78348-CD4C-4155-B28C-580C4C4CD6B8.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  4458D536-DBA2-4CA1-9787-9EBFEE2F8AD1.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  100.9 KB

Here’s my rimfire rifle:
    CZ 455 with a 21” IBI heavy contour barrel (and a PWS comp I had laying around since the IBI didn’t ship with a thread protector).
    Area 419 weighted Arca Rail
    Timney Trigger
    Burris XTR Pro 5.5-30x-56 scope w/ SCR2 reticle
    Burris XTR Signature rings
    Area 419 30MOA scope rail
    DIY check riser made from a yoga block (have a Victor Titan cheek rest coming)
    Harris bipod w/ RRS arca clamp. Or alternate with the Atlas CAL bipod w/ arca clamp on match day
    Grey Ops gamer plate (not shown)

Weight of the CZ is 14.1 lbs, or 15.7 with the Grey Ops plate attached. It balances decently resting on a bag in front of the magwell for positional barricade shooting, but wouldn’t mind having a tad more weight out front.

Name:  9EC667DE-9183-451D-AB9A-C75DAD2E5938.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  91.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    Very cool. I’ve been reading and watching Youtube videos about the NRLHunter Series. I may have to give that a shot one of these days. In the meantime I’ve been alternating shooting USPSA with NRL22, PRS22, and centerfire PRS matches. Toss in the odd LR Varmint (silhouette) match here and there for trigger time.

Nice setups! I've been taking guidance from the more experienced at the shop, I just don't have much free time to shoot/practice/train 1/100th of those guys. Here's a few videos we did on Dan's NRL Hunter setups and the NRL Hunter Grand Slam Finale where he won the Team portion with Brian Pence. Excuse my recordings, I need to get Dan a mic to improve the audio.

NRL Hunter Gear by CSTactical.com (Part 1 of 2)

NRL Hunter Gear by CSTactical.com (Part 2 of 2)

2022 Grand Slam Championship Presented by SIG Sauer, Hammett, ID | NRL Hunter Dan and his teammate are about 8 minutes in.

2021 JC Steel Hunter Challenge | NRL Hunter match we co sponsored. This is also in the area to the range I took pics above.

Last edited by CS Tactical; 10-17-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

I’m enjoying the heck out of precision rimfire shooting. It’s a good trainer for regular PRS but lately I’m shooting it way more (probably due to cheaper ammo and I won’t have to worry about barrel life. In fact, just came back from the range where a shooting buddy and I were running drills on a par time. Mostly positional stuff, off a PRS barricade, off a tripod,or off a rooftop. Even experimented with a reverse rooftop, figuring what works best. Spent over an hour, shot 10-20 rnds over a Magnetospeed to true my data in a new Kestrel (had some weird stuff going on at my last match with my old Kestrel) then 90-ish rnds doing drills. Didn’t always shoot 10 rnds per drill either, been finding out there’s value in a 4-6 rnd drill such as moving into 3 positions w/ 2 shots from each, or even just 2 positions with 2 shots each under an aggressive par time will help train yourself to get your first shot off in under 10 secs and be crisp in your movement to the next position.

I’m quickly finding out the benefits of a well balanced rifle. Doesn’t have to weigh a ton, but when doing positional shooting being able to balance the rifle on a Schmedium bag so it just sits there on its own really reduces the wobble zone and makes me much more confident to take the shot.

Site Supporter
    I got into the PRS / MARS / NRL22 as a test bed to gauge my interest in centerfire and because I thought it would be cheaper. (it isn't) I'm now shooting as many rimfire matches as USPSA. I won a Zermatt gift certificate at the New England MARS Regional (not through any feat of skill) that will be my centerfire gun for, hopefully, next spring. I stumbled upon a 8# jug of Varget, so it will be chambered in something that shoots that well.

Rimfire rifle:
    Vudoo V22 w 20" MTU
    Trigger Tech Diamond
    MPA Hybrid with a modified weight kit
    Area 419 BA Comp Arca rail with my own adapter
    Atlas Bipod
    Vortex Strike Eagle / Holosun on Hawkins Heavy Rings (thanks, @CS Tactical )
    Name:  IMG_0096 2.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  102.5 KB

@EricP You're welcome! Please let us know if we can assist you again Eventually I'll build a Rim-X or Vudoo .22 as well.
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Wish I knew how to imbed Instagram videos

Dan smacking a plate at 2,000 yards
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B42PmPYAz_L
    Slo-mo
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4v6Eqmg_UG
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Building a 'proper' precision bolt gun has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, but there's so much to absorb and learn. I really appreciate everyone sharing their setups and experiences in here, it makes the 'what if' through process a lot less chaotic.
    When I last visited the idea in ~2015 or so, the local 'go to' gunsmith for a long range precision rifle really liked 6.5-06 and other long-action 6.5mm cartridges for truly long range work - any input/thoughts on cartridge selection? What are you guys shooting?

Nice Gallardo and Ferrari 308 in that first pic too!

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Building a 'proper' precision bolt gun has been something I've wanted to do for a long time, but there's so much to absorb and learn. I really appreciate everyone sharing their setups and experiences in here, it makes the 'what if' through process a lot less chaotic.
    When I last visited the idea in ~2015 or so, the local 'go to' gunsmith for a long range precision rifle really liked 6.5-06 and other long-action 6.5mm cartridges for truly long range work - any input/thoughts on cartridge selection? What are you guys shooting?

Nice Gallardo and Ferrari 308 in that first pic too!
    Those are a few of the bosses cars in the warehouse lol

For my build I picked something that I didn't need to reload for (Though factory ammo was hard to get) and wanted to mirror an NRL Hunter build which the minimum caliber is 6.5CM if i ever decided to compete with it in the future. Also supply chain issues have caused many components to be difficult to get and our gunsmith had this 20" 6.5CM Bartlein CF M24 on hand so I took it. For the realistic use of this rifle, I wish I went with 6 Creedmoor since ammo is easier to get though I may just have another barrel spun up in that caliber but stainless 26". Or I just need to build another rifle and make it in the lightweight configuration I want that we typically build. This is Dan's NRL Hunter Lightweight rifle that comes in at just over 8 1/2 pounds.

Name:  NRL Hunter Ghost Hunter.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  NRL Hunter Ghost Hunter 2.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  101.6 KB
    CS Tactical
    www.cstactical.com

I feel so poor...
    #RESIST

User Tag List