Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 barrel options

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

AR-15 barrel options

What do we like for precision oriented AR-15 barrels? Have a 16" rifle that I am looking at re-barreling as the 16" BA heavy gov't is a little mediocre vs other guns I own that weren't too much more expensive

Looking for something that clocks in at or not much over 32 oz but will reasonably precise. Criterion jumps to the top of the list - I love my 11.5" Core series - but theyre unobtanium and i am a little incentivized to pick something up sooner so I can shoot it and zero it before my life evaporates with dramatic change in professional obligations roughly around July '23.

I do see that CLE has a 16" middy "tactical" barrel from a Douglas blank on sale at $299 from $400. They also sell 16" Criterion barrels cut with their chamber for $350... hmmm...

any thoughts?

Right now, it's Criterion's Core for me. weight is good, accuracy is better than me. They are hard to find, though

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Right now, it's Criterion's Core for me. weight is good, accuracy is better than me. They are hard to find, though
    Brownells does have a 16" Criterion Hybrid barrel but it is carbine, not midlength gas... is this a dealbreaker? I'd probably spring for an adjustable block if I went this direction.

V Seven. Have 3 (16 and 14.5 in 5.56; 8.25 in 300bo). All shoot sub moa.

Not sure of the current cost or options, but my White Oak Armament 18" middy is a tack driver sub moa with good 75 or 77gr loads

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Not sure of the current cost or options, but my White Oak Armament 18" middy is a tack driver sub moa with good 75 or 77gr loads
    The barrel i'd want from them is their SDM 16" but its a little thick under the handguards and costs the same as a Compass Lake criterion

First off, you’re going to have to decide what your expectation is for a “precision” AR-15. For myself, I want a barrel that will be able to produce 10-shot groups that approach ½ MOA extreme spreads at 100 yards. For me, that typically involves a Krieger barrel.

Naturally, barrels like that come with a hefty price tag and in today’s clown-world, absurd wait times. If the price tag and wait time for a barrel like that are more than you’re interested in, then you have to start thinking about what type of compromises you are willing to make (and compromise is not a bad word.) Less weight? 5.56mm chamber verses a match chamber or Wylde chamber? Chrome-lined or nitride instead of stainless steel?

Also, keep in mind that in order for a barrel to reach it’s intrinsic level of precision, you will typically need to feed it hand-loaded ammunition. If you don’t hand-load, be prepared to fork over $1.25 per round for factory loaded match grade ammunition such as Federal Gold Medal Match.

You can find links to many of my barrel reviews here.

Member of the General Population

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    First off, you’re going to have to decide what your expectation is for a “precision” AR-15. For myself, I want a barrel that will be able to produce 10-shot groups that approach ½ MOA extreme spreads at 100 yards. For me, that typically involves a Krieger barrel.

Naturally, barrels like that come with a hefty price tag and in today’s clown-world, absurd wait times. If the price tag and wait time for a barrel like that are more than you’re interested in, then you have to start thinking about what type of compromises you are willing to make (and compromise is not a bad word.) Less weight? 5.56mm chamber verses a match chamber or Wylde chamber? Chrome-lined or nitride instead of stainless steel?

Also, keep in mind that in order for a barrel to reach it’s intrinsic level of precision, you will typically need to feed it hand-loaded ammunition. If you don’t hand-load, be prepared to fork over $1.25 per round for factory loaded match grade ammunition such as Federal Gold Medal Match.

You can find links to many of my barrel reviews here.

I would like consistent sub MOA but does not ave to approach 1/2. Willing to give up a little bit in exchange for weight savings. Prefer to not go past 40z, ideally closer to 32.

Chamber - would probalby be looking at 223 wylde though was lookig @ Compass Lake's CLE chambered criterion barrels. I like the appeal of chrome lined but dont strictly need it if the package is right. and yep, I have a stash of FGMM and other ammo of comparable quality ... always the caveat with shooting of course. The criterion products really are basically what I am looking for but hard to find.

thanks for the links!

You can find the Cores if you shop around. TACSWAP and ARFCOM’s EE will typically have a few every so often. I can’t remember where else but I’ve seen them on a third party vendor’s site occasionally I believe too. That’s what I’d do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    What are the thoughts on BCMs precision barrels?

User Tag List