Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Cross Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    The dude from Rifleshooter built one:
    https://rifleshooter.com/2013/03/cus...actical-rifle/

And then a bunch more:
    https://rifleshooter.com/2015/02/the...-action-rifle/

If I was going to screw around with .308, I would really like to go that route. I have a 6.5CM, which does everything I need it to do--namely, shoot teensy groups and entertain me--but it is not short, and it is not light. It's the sort of gun I believe someone explained as being popular because everybody wants to LARP as a sniper , but I just like it because it's neat.

And also, it's not that far from the car to the bench.
    Those are excellent articles!
    At first I thought you said not that far to the beach. I was like... what, is he shooting whales. 🙄😂
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

My buddy handled one at a trade show and said that he like everything about the rifle and that the bolt was very easy to manipulate. I asked how it compared to the fix and he said the Sig was better. And for half the price it is a no brainer assuming it shoots more accurately than a fix. Which shouldn’t be hard to do.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 01-12-2020 at 08:31 PM.

https://youtu.be/3NPAXWbIQU8

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Forgot the bipod/tripod--how is it to shoot?

This SIG Cross is getting a lot press at Shot Show. It is an intriguing rifle but what bothers me a little bit about it and the clones is whether this is a truly all around hunting rifle in the sense of the ergonomics of actual shooting the rifle without aids like a benchrest/bipod/tripod. It would seem an all around rifle should be usable offhand, prone, with or without a sling, kneeling and sitting (as opposed to a sniper rifle). But the pistol grip seems like it might be problematic when manipulating the bolt. With an AR, traditional positions are easy but the shooter is also not removing the hand from the grip operating the bolt.

Maybe I am overthinking this but it seems to be it would be very awkward to manipulate the bolt in prone, in particular, compared to a traditional bolt grip (ala Jeff Cooper--fast and aggressive, not moving the head from the stock, etc.). The wrist angle is so different. Maybe one can get used to it and maybe as fast a traditional grip with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    This SIG Cross is getting a lot press at Shot Show. It is an intriguing rifle but what bothers me a little bit about it and the clones is whether this is a truly all around hunting rifle in the sense of the ergonomics of actual shooting the rifle without aids like a benchrest/bipod/tripod. It would seem an all around rifle should be usable offhand, prone, with or without a sling, kneeling and sitting (as opposed to a sniper rifle). But the pistol grip seems like it might be problematic when manipulating the bolt. With an AR, traditional positions are easy but the shooter is also not removing the hand from the grip operating the bolt.

Maybe I am overthinking this but it seems to be it would be very awkward to manipulate the bolt in prone, in particular, compared to a traditional bolt grip (ala Jeff Cooper--fast and aggressive, not moving the head from the stock, etc.). The wrist angle is so different. Maybe one can get used to it and maybe as fast a traditional grip with practice.
    I shoot all bolt rifles with my right thumb on the right side of the stock, pistol grip, whatever. Not only is bolt operation much faster this way, different stock designs don’t much affect it.

Super in-depth video from John McQuay of 8541Tactical YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaGwccUSHes

That was an excellent video, the cutaway “Fury” cartridges alone were worth the price of admission. I’ll be curious to see more high pressure gun designs.

There was another video that spent time going over the new Sig belt-feds. I can dream on.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

FWIW, the folks over at Rokslide have a thread going with a few initial impressions. Post #55 or so.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre....152950/page-3
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Zero trigger time, we just got one in at the store and I spent some time with it yesterday regarding the stock/handling, etc. It's a 16" barreled .308.

The thing is slick, light, a tight locking stock (locks in storage and for shooting, needs a release button push for each direction), the bolt lift is silly easy and tracks better than a production Savage or Remington, but not as nice as a Tikka.

The stock's cheeckweld secures via 2 spring loaded posts, so there is literally no 'notch' to lock it in place, the cam does that job instead. This means it's incredibly easy to get the cheek weld where you need it right out of the gate. The stock is a very, very well thought out design.

The weight is very low, and the balance is nice. The magazine release is funky, but I get why they did it (inside the trigger guard). It's ambi, and won't catch on any brush to drop your magazine.

Barrel features a conical shoulder (like a cartridge) near the muzzle where a flat washer sits and the thread protector pushes the washer onto the shoulder. It's likely intent is to make it extremely easy to ensure any muzzle device is truly parallel to the bore with the least amount of machining required. Initially I thought this short of a barrel was a waste, then I took a moment and compared it to the Ruger PR and realized it's for a totally different goal. It's short, compact, light, and adjustable to the shooter - it's for hunting, not for shooting prone or off benches for a few hours.

Trigger is pretty nice - my definition of nice is a light Tikka trigger in this case, but it is a two stage design.

I'm having a hard time not asking for an employee purchase request on this one.

I would really like one of these. Supposedly there's a 24" 6.5 creedmoor coming but I haven't seen any updates- that's the one I am hoping to get. Springfield has also just released a similarly themed hunting-precision hybrid bolt gun, but for now, I like the features of the cross more.

User Tag List