Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing a Defensive Handgun For A Disabled Woman

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Seems like there's been some deals on police trade in S&W's lately, including a taper barrel model 10, IIRC. Run some wadcutters (or better, if she can handle the recoil) and rock on. Might work pretty good in the night stand role.
    A very light polishing of the internals (staying away from the sear engagement surfaces) might work wonders on the trigger pull, too.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

In regards to revolvers, keep in mind the manual of arms to release the cylinder. LHO may be a challenge considering the latch. IIRC, Smith's are slide forward, Colts are slide back, Rugers are push.....combined with rolling the cylinder out, it could prove a bit much. It sounds as though a revolver may be the best option, but I would suggest perusing the LGS with your right hand out of action.
    Taking a break from social media.

My right hand/arm/shoulder have good days, and bad days. The hand has improved, since I retired, but the arm has gotten worse. Knowing that I may well be cut-on, sooner or later, and then have to wear a splint or cast, I am very much into large and small revolvers, and Glock 17 and 19x auto-pistols. This does not mean a G17/G19x is the correct weapon for your friend, but it does hold plenty of ammunition, and has amazingly low recoil, if one’s hands are large enough to avoid having to use the “h” grip. (My personal reason for the G19x/G17 is so that the grip frame is long enough to firmly rest against the “heel bone” of my hand, feeding recoil more directly into the sturdy platform of the forearm bones. This facilitates my continued capability to shoot right-handed, for as long as possible; running the slide with my stronger left hand makes sense, as does keeping my stronger left hand free for contact defense, so I continue to carry primary on the right side, which is not, of course applicable to your friend’s situation, but might make sense for a another/future reader of this thread topic.)

I will mention one solution, that may raise some eyebrows, but single-action revolvers may be an viable option, especially if your friend’s thumb is able to reach to reach the loading gate, while maintaining a firing grip, and if she can manage to insert cartridges with her right hand. Even if the SA sixgun is not carried while out and about, it can be a formidable hindrance to an intruder, when used from a protected position. (Almost two decades ago, during a bad bout with CTS, I slept with splints on both wrists, and kept a USFA Single Action at bedside.) If your friend cannot manipulate ammunition with her right hand, a DA revolver would be better than the SA.

Consider my whole write-up, here, to be food for thought. I am not trying to convince or convert anyone.

Forgive me for TWOSCY. (Typing WithOut Sufficient Caffeine Yet.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    First, I'm totally in agreement that she has to test the gun. I'll throw in some info and ideas. The OP mentioned the Charter Arms 32 HR Mag 7 shot revolver.

I'm a fan of the 32s in a revolver.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/w...caliber-is-32/

The variety of rounds is quite useful for recoil management. I have a 432 Snubby as does Tamara and a stainless 3 inch SW 632, ported. I've shot the latter quite a bit in matches for grins. It is pussy cat with 32 SW Long, mild with 32 HR mag but the full power 327s are quite significant in recoil and blast. I've mentioned that when I switched from the Longs to a reload of 327s for some steel poppers, the SO next to me, thought I blew up. So 327s aren't recommended for someone with weaker hand strength.
    Here's a thread from users of the Charter Arms gun - https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ejoice.849159/

Summary, lots of reports of low point of impact.

The trigger pull on the SW 632 is less than the 432 but I haven't measured it. If you have problems with trigger pull, you would have to try one. However, these guns aren't made anymore and expensive on the aftermarket.

I've casually shot LCRs and thought the DA trigger was not that bad and they come in 327.

Another suggestion which is dependent on the user's ability is a single action trigger pull. Mas once wrote about recommending a single action 22LR for someone with severe arthritis, IIRC. Thus, Ruger makes a 327 LCR with a hammer. Never shot one of those, so this is purely a suggestion to be tested, if interested. There is also a Lipsey's exclusive Bird Head, Single 7 with 7 shots of the 32s.

Of course, the single action trigger suggestion is premised on the ability of the shooter and testing out such guns. A Bearcat in 22 LR is a very easy gun to shoot, of course - one handed or two handed hammer manipulation needs empirical testing.

These are just thought based on the OP's original Charter Arms suggestion for a 32.

My dad has arthritis in his dominant hand. He can shoot his M&P 380 EZ without a problem. It’s a good option.

What about a Sig P250 .380? They’re hard to find but apparently are very easy to rack. Compact models have 15 round magazines. Here’s a subcompact version on GunBroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/848602935

Off-Topic: Blades

I also want to mention the importance of a sturdy blade, especially if your friend’s area of residence has knife-friendly laws, allowing carry of fixed-blade knives. A handgun may be the better primary weapon, but the blade is the primal weapon. It would be very difficult to rape a woman, or, a man, f she/he had a blade of appropriate size in the hand, and knew how to use it in ways that would make it difficult for even a well-trained attacker to perform any take-away techniques.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-19-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Another thought. Competition shooters have been putting reduced weight recoil springs in pistols for years. This makes the slide easier to rack. They have been doing it to "time" the slide speed to reduced recoil ammo. I have gone as low as 13# in Glock 17s with good reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    In regards to revolvers, keep in mind the manual of arms to release the cylinder. LHO may be a challenge considering the latch. IIRC, Smith's are slide forward, Colts are slide back, Rugers are push.....combined with rolling the cylinder out, it could prove a bit much. It sounds as though a revolver may be the best option, but I would suggest perusing the LGS with your right hand out of action.
    Ruger DA: Push button with left index finger, and while pushing this button, shove right side of cylinder against any convenient body part, or other object. It is one reason I like Ruger DA revolvers, for defensive carry. The next-easiest DA is probably a Colt, as the left trigger finger can pull rearward on the cylinder latch, but I no longer have such a weapon, to actually perform a side-by-side comparison.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Ruger DA: Push button with left index finger, and while pushing this button, shove right side of cylinder against any convenient body part, or other object. It is one reason I like Ruger DA revolvers, for defensive carry. The next-easiest DA is probably a Colt, as the left trigger finger can pull rearward on the cylinder latch, but I no longer have such a weapon, to actually perform a side-by-side comparison.
    This. On one-handed manipulation of revolvers, it can be done. The old "street survival" books from the 80s had info, as does Grant Cunningham’s revolver book. Ruger, Kimber, and Colt are indeed easier to pop open LH only—with the Kimber K6 being easiest for me—although the new Colt latch works well left-handed. Honestly, between the triggers, sight options, and the cylinder release designs, I don’t see any reason to go S&W for this specific application, unless you can get a line on a good k-frame for free.

As an aside, Ruger makes a nice 7-shot .327 Fed GP-100 that works. It’s no CCW piece, but I wouldn’t scoff at one for HD. .327 Fed is crazy loud though. Like, .223 full-length rifle loud. Again, FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Be sure she can handle a DA trigger before going with a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List