Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decade is Ending

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

The Decade is Ending

Anyone else finding themselves extra reflective heading into the New Year?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Hadn't occurred to before your thread. I guess no in that case. Weird cause I'm a frustrated philosopher and sentimental to boot.Then again, got a lot of irons in the fire.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I don't think so. Any difference wouldn't be simply because the decade is ending but rather because of current events...political, personal or otherwise.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Nope. Ever think about how stupid it is that we pay more attention to 5 and 0 anniversaries than other years? What's so special about ten years vs. eleven?
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-17-2019 at 05:16 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm less thrilled that here it is, 2020. Where are the flying cars, the orbital hotels, the Lunar settlements? Where are the expeditions to Mars and the outer planets?

OK, so we got the Star Trek-like computer tablets and communicators. I can veg on my couch, read almost anything I desire, watch almost any movie ever made. I can videochat with a nephew-in-law in one of the Sandboxes, something I can set up with a verbal command to the tablet.

But it seems as though humanity, on the whole, is dropping IQ points.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    It actually hadn't occurred to me that the decade was rolling over until I started seeing the "best of the decade" listicles. So I only got to thinking about it in the past few days.

A lot of very hard work resulted in positive things for me in the last ten years, so I'm hopeful the next ten years worth of hard work will produce similar results. Or it could all be down hill... I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    But it seems as though humanity, on the whole, is dropping IQ points.
    I blame our hyper-connectivity; this has been the decade of social media. It was still mostly a novelty in 2010 - Twitter, Facebook, et cetera had only been around 5-6 years at that point, and you were mostly a nerd if you were on them then.

Unfortunately, there's forecast to be something like 75 billion devices on the Internet by 2025, and social media is only going to become more prominent, so we're pretty well screwed in that category.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Kinda. I was born in 1980, and the other day I was thinking how the different decades have been. The 80's seem like mostly a blur except for Miami Vice, Ted Bundy, and the Green River Killer.

The 90's seemed to drag on forever yet were very enjoyable for me as a 10-19 year old.

My 20's were great. I bought a home in my early 20's, got married, and had my kids before turning 30.

2010-2019 was actually a terrible decade for me for a lot of reasons. Lost both parents, lost the job I would have had until retirement because of the economic collapse, etc. I also found my friend dead a couple months ago, something I haven't mentioned here until now and I'm still working through that.

2020-2029 will be interesting. I'll turn 40 next year, both my kids will have graduated high school and the thought of an empty nest already is a bit depressing. People always told us to cherish our kids younger years because it goes by so fast, and I now know what they mean. Yesterday they were babies.

I haven't quite recovered from Y2K.

It'll probably hit me harder 2021 to be honest. In 2010 I went on deployment, which is significant. I got home in 2011. But i tend to think of time since getting home as being recent... it's really odd that it's knocking on 10 years ago. Got married, changed states, had a kid, changed states again, bought a house... I guess a lot has happened.

I'm 28, so it's one of my first decades. Still young but not really a kid anymore. So whatever. I don't know. I mostly try to build my long term stuff with small habits. That way it's mostly a day at a time.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 12-17-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Nah. Had my 25th wedding anniversary this year. Way more significant than the calendar rolling over two digits at once.

User Tag List