Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92A1 vs LTT Elite 92 take-down lever and recoil buffer question

Beretta 92A1 vs LTT Elite 92 take-down lever and recoil buffer question

I have a 92A1 with some customization and love it. Mainly selected for rail and dovetail front sight. I bought my 92A1 before The LTT Elite was available or even anticipated. Leaning towards an Elite 92 LTT. Just trying to decide which to buy with all the choices. And want to clarify 2 differences:

1. The 92A1 take-down lever , you depress button w/o slide racked back, rotate lever and slide moves forward, remove slide assembly. On all other 92s (FS, M9A1, 92 LTT), you first rack slide back and lock with slide lock lever, depress button, rotate lever, then release slide and remove?

2. The internal frame recoil buffer is an advertised feature on 92A1 (blue in color). Am I correct that the LTT 92 Elite (and all other 92s) does NOT have this buffer? I understand it was thought needed for 96A1 and just carried along with 92A1.

With the introduction of the 92X and 92 Elite LTT, all having the dovetail front sights, front strap checkering, etc, the 92 has experienced an amazing rebirth. I think the LTT is the perfect pistol for those preferring an all metal DA/SA platform.

I don't lock the slide back on any 92 to remove it. No buffer on any other models except yours and the 96 version. I shoot an M9A1 because at the time, I wasn't completely sure the Elite LTT was going to be IDPA legal. I chose it because it has the aggressive front and back strap checkering and the beveled mag well like the LTT.

Do you have to push slide back at all? Just depress button and rotate lever?

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    Do you have to push slide back at all? Just depress button and rotate lever?
    I have 4 92s - one non rail 92fs I bought 20 some odd years ago and 3 LTTs (two full-size and one compact). On all of them I just depress the button and rotate the lever. No buffer on any of them.

Do the 92A1 and 96A1 use the same size frame?

I ask because my understanding is that parts from it, don't swap with other 92's. My thought was it was effectively the same lower, which was designed around shooting the forty, and the buffer was kept for the nine.

No, you don't have to lock the slide back, the reason people do it, is in making sure the gun is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmiked View Post
    On all other 92s (FS, M9A1, 92 LTT), you first rack slide back and lock with slide lock lever, depress button, rotate lever, then release slide and remove?
    Is this the described procedure in the owners manual?

As other's have mentioned, I was always under the impression you push the button and rotate the lever with the slide forward.

Whenever I see some YouTuber struggle with an APX field strip, they always lock the slide back and then push the take down button and rotate the lever. The guys that take down the APX with little difficulty are those that leave the slide forward, and then push the button and rotate the lever.

With the slide forward, on either gun, there is very little spring pressure on the slide and should make disassembly easier.

I suspect this may be a SIG thing, and since both SIG and Beretta have a similar lever folks use the SIG procedure on their Beretta.

Seems like all the U-tubes I watch on people field stripping their 92s (FS, M9A1, M9 etc) they lock the slide back. If they don’t need to, probably mimicking SIG 226 operation. I have a 226 and you do lock slide back before rotating take-down lever and upon re-assembly you have to manually rotate lever back with slide locked back. However, with my 92A1 you can’t rotate the take-down lever with slide locked back. It won’t stay rotated . Spring pressure makes it go back to original position. The owner’s manual implies the 92A1 had an improvement in that the assembly latch automatically locks on re-assembly upon pulling slide back. Since I don’t own but one 92 and it is the 92A1, I don’t know how the other 92s work. Seems everyone says you just depress the button and rotate the take-down lever to disassemble. My question is when re-assembling, “do you have to rotate the take-down lever back to its lock position, or is it automatic when pulling slide back?” On 92A1, you just replace slide on frame rails , pull side back and take-down lever snaps back into lock position.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Is this the described procedure in the owners manual?

As other's have mentioned, I was always under the impression you push the button and rotate the lever with the slide forward.

Whenever I see some YouTuber struggle with an APX field strip, they always lock the slide back and then push the take down button and rotate the lever. The guys that take down the APX with little difficulty are those that leave the slide forward, and then push the button and rotate the lever.

With the slide forward, on either gun, there is very little spring pressure on the slide and should make disassembly easier.

I suspect this may be a SIG thing, and since both SIG and Beretta have a similar lever folks use the SIG procedure on their Beretta.
    I never had any issues with APX takedown for that reason, I just figured it was a Beretta and probably takes down like a Beretta, and yep!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I have a 92FS, 92A1 and LTT Elite. I also qualed with an military M9 in the past. On all of them I push button and rotate take down lever with slide forward and the slide comes off.

Does the take-down lever on 92 FS and LTT automatically reset when you pull the slide back? Or do you have to manually reset the take-down lever on reassembly? The 92A1 automatically resets when you pull slide back.

User Tag List