Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The FN/Browning High Power-Revisited Part One

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    FYI in case you don't know. Cylinder and Slide makes a tool steel firing pin stop. Part # CS0054.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Theirs is tool steel; BH Spring Solutions and RDIH's position is that in the case of this particular component, quality MIM is actually a better solution in terms of strength and longevity.

FN also modified the component during the High Power production cycle, both materially and archtecturally; the final one was MIM, I believe under Leon Hubert's guidance when he was in charge of High Power production and engineering at FN; you can visibly see some of the contouring and casting/MIM differences between my replacement from Browning and my OEM 2003 production firing pin retaining plates in the side-by-side images I posted.

When you look at the Cylinder & Slide compoent, while its similar in contouring to the final FN/Browning one, there are some differences:

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/CS0054

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-01-2021 at 11:35 AM.

In searching the internet for discussions of the firing pin retaining plate's issues, while I've come across several cases of issues (including one that was broken in half, and one where one side's securing flange to the slide slot fractured off), I have yet to come across a case where a compromised firing pin retaining plate actually induced any OPERATIONAL issues-the guns seemingly just chugged along, and the problems were discovered by their operators some time later.

Additionally, Mk III later production firing pin safety equipped High Powers provide another layer of operationl reassurance, as I believe they'll retaining the firing pin and firing pin spring in a functional position, possibly even without the FPRP.

Best, Jon

Good News-A BH Spring Solutions Revised Production Grip That Doesn't Crack

Whoo Hoo! After my Mk III .40 sequentially munched its way across several of BH Spring Solutions' aestheticallymagnificent grip offerings (as I detailed earlier in the thread), they and the grip manufacturer systemically examined both production specifications and revised quality control. These are from the first run of the revised production, which provides more material particularly in the rear tang area, which provides greater strength and a better fit-both of which are necessary both in general and in particular with a frame that is subject to their higher recoil forces (and the quicker spiking recoil forces) from the .40 cartridge.

The grips evidenced no cracking whatsover after being utilized throughout a 116 round IDPA match last weekend. As per usual with me, a Challis rubber O ring was attached to each grip screw before screwing the grip on the receiver, and there was no significant screw loosening during use.

The laser-cut engraving was designed by BH Spring Solutions' partner Mark Allen's wife, and they in my opinion beautifully work with both the aesthetics of the High Power as well as adding an Art Deco touch to a gun that was originally produced during the Art Deco period. The contours of the grip work to provide a good hold in use; they aren't unduly slippery (the match last weekend featured continuous rain throughout the match, so that waas a good additional test).

I had encountered some initial chambering issues with one of my older MecGar magazines, and possibly one of my OEN mousetrap-sprung magazines (also produced by MecGar for FN/Browning, but with a different follower {and slightly more stabler, in my opinion); BH Spring Solutions provided me with a new nickle-plated MecGar magazine, and I disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and lightly lubricated the magazine inner tube and spring with Dri-Slide, a dry film lubricant/anti-corrosive) on not just the new, but on all of my High Power magazines. Absolutely zero problems were encountered is subsequent use.

I'm very glad that BH Spring Solutions was able to jump into the problems with theinitial production run of grips, and come up with a systemically derived improved solution, and bring it into production.

Best, Jon

I notice that a lot of people dealing with BHSS fall for the SFS lockwork.
    What does it do for you in, say, that IDPA match?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I notice that a lot of people dealing with BHSS fall for the SFS lockwork.
    What does it do for you in, say, that IDPA match?
    I was initially very resistant to it, feeling that it was a solution in search of a non-existant problem. Mark sent me one, despite all of my protests, and eventually, more out of a combination of curiosity and a sense of fairness/due diligence, I installed it (after I blew off the dust from the kit sitting on my desk). Mark and Slav really wanted me to install it on my own, and they provided me with the necessary tools previously, so I detailed the process out earlier in the discussion thread-upshot: thanks to their 2 videos, it was eminently (and eassily) do-able.

Apres installation, I decided that I actually like it quite a bit, and its installation has become a permanent one for me for several reasons:

1. The at-rest (and modified shaped) hammer spur makes for a much more comfortable carry then is possible with the OEM hammers-and there's less wear-and-tear on clothes, sweaters, jackets, concealment garnments, etc.

2. The SFS set-up provides for a much easier sear spring switch; partial detailed disassembly is no longer required.

3. The hammer-down, on-safe position is easily, and safely achieved merely by pushing the hammer forward after chambering a round-the safety lever is concurrently mechanically cammed into the on-safe position. Off-safing is achieved simply by the normal action of pushing the safety lever down, as with the OEM action.

4. While usable with the OEM action, the slide stop/release designed for the SFS is FAR more ergonomic and easily usable than the OEM one, and also facilitates field-stripping simply by pushing up on it, which frees the slide to be slid off the receiver-the slide does no need to be locked back and engaged first.

While most, if not all of the multitude of advantages that BH Spring Solutions touts for the SFS on their website had already been incorporated into my gun due to previous BH SS component and spring installations, I consider the SFS system to be a desirable one due to the 4 things I've listed above. In operational use, the draw, acquisition, off-safeing and operation manual of arms is the same as with the OEM action.

If you subsequently want to revert to the OEM action, the SFS system is easily removed and you can re-convert to the OEM set-up-no gunsmithing or component modifications are necessary to install the SFS; it's truly a drop-in and or remove system.

Best, Jon

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    They do need to be a bit more responsive to emails. I have attempted to contact them several times for an “In stock” time estimate on a SFS kit, and they have yet to respond to a single inquiry. (Yep, checked my spam and all that...)
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    They do need to be a bit more responsive to emails. I have attempted to contact them several times for an “In stock” time estimate on a SFS kit, and they have yet to respond to a single inquiry. (Yep, checked my spam and all that...)
    Mark Allen's been out of the country due to an unexpected death in the family, I suspect that's the reason for the delayed response.

Best, Jon

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I appreciate the insight and response. I’ll try them again in a few weeks if I don’t hear back.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Great thread, I have read every post and learned a lot. I have a call appointment today with BH Spring Solutions to discuss several questions I have about their products and possible work on my new purchased Hi-Power, more to follow I'm sure.

Update, had a great conversation with John at BH Solutions, talked over an hour, great guy. Just shipped Hi Power to him for SFS and Trigger work, will update upon return.

User Tag List