Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The FN/Browning High Power-Revisited Part One

I've been carrying mine the last couple of weeks.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Wow. That came back fantastic. Get to stretch it out yet? Report please!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

That is simply gorgeous, Fatdog!

Once the deep bluing on mine wears down, I'm envisioning something similar.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Fatdog, that is magnficent. Great collaborative conceptualization and execution-the grips beautifully match the work and finish. Let us know how it shoots in.

The Warren Tacticals are a great sight choice-how did you decide which ones would be the best to choose? I've found Scott Warren to be exceptionally helpful in the past, and I'm a big proponent of his sights, too.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The Warren Tacticals are a great sight choice-how did you decide which ones would be the best to choose?
    Thanks, I am on my way to the range to verify the zero and start to wear in the chrome, but my assumption is it shoots about as well as it did before the trip to the gunsmith, which I would call Hi-Power average, very reliable, but probably a 3-4" group at 25 yards at best. I am sure I will do a letter better with the sights and trigger work.

My gunsmith was going to have to cut both dovetails, and he just told me to go with the Novak standard 1911 version, plenty of room to acomodate those size dovetails front and rear in a BHP and if I ever changed my mind, easy to find many different sets to fit the same dovetails.

This is actually the third BHP slide that Bob Cogan has done for me with the Novak dovetail Warren set. On this set he decided to use a Novak blank he had for the front and really dial it in for me.

He also wanted to sent it to Tooltech and get the front sight lamped but I declined, it is no longer all that important to me to have that tritum front. Before all that he tried to convince me to let him put a Dawson fiber optic front, which I also passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Get to stretch it out yet? Report please!
    I gave it over 350 rounds of 147gr JHP, all Speer G2 "rejects" that I got for dirt cheap in early 2019 and only use for proving and testing. No malfunctions. Accuracy, I could better describe it as just slightly more accurate than my Mk III, (turn of the century manufacture) as I had it along and did a little slow fire side by side. I passed all of my personal benchmarks for "being fit to carry the gun". Vickers/Hackathorn bullseye test, Rangemaster Instructor Q, Werner dot drills.

I did a slow fire sequence at 10 yards on a 4" dot and was able to keep 100% of two magazines in the dot. At 7 yards I did a slow fire on a 2" dot and kept about 75% in or touching the dot. That is about as accurately I can shoot anything this side of a Sig P210. The accuracy of this gun is acceptable.

Three things that stand out to me. First, these Belgian Mk II's are supposedly imported from Israel where they were allegedly police and prison guard guns. Everything about the one I have screams carried and handled a lot but shot very little. Everything is tight, the finish was awful when I received it but that got fixed.

Second the C&S hammer/sear combo, all new springs, along with Bob Cogan's attention yielded probably the best HiPower trigger I have ever had. I swear I can even hear/feel detect the reset on this thing, although I remain convinced that press and flip is the right way to shoot a HiPower. When I got back from the range I checked the trigger again and it is breaking 4.5 +/- every time.

Third, the Warren sights make a HUGE difference to me. I have them on a number of other guns including my 1911 tribe. Being able to get that bigger sight picture takes the BHP to a new level for me and no doubt contributes to my ability to shoot it more accurately than a factory base model.

Got to show off mine with the Karma grips from Fatdog:

Name:  20200911_191311.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  77.5 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Got to show off mine with the Karma grips from Fatdog:

Name:  20200911_191311.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  77.5 KB

How do you like that manual safety? Is that after market?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How do you like that manual safety? Is that after market?
    It's the Cylinder and Slide model, and much better than the tiny nub that came from the factory.

Site Supporter
    has anyone here converted a .40 to a .357 sig? I was given a HP .357 sig barrel 10 years ago when buddy closed his gun shop. I recently found an unfired .40 HP. I hate .40 but if I could get it to run with .357 sig it might be worth it. I just don't know if the gun itself could handle it.

User Tag List