Thread: S&W Third Gen Grips

S&W Third Gen Grips

I've got a buddy that is a huge fan of the third-gen pistols, and owns an example of almost everything except the Chief's Special series and 40cal guns. He's got a 4506, multiple 39xx, multiple 59xx, multiple 69xx. I was thinking about getting him some nice wooden stocks for Christmas, but it seems like S&W Third Gen accessories are few and far between.

So, given the amount of Third Gen fans on here, I figured we should make a list of companies that actually make grips/stocks for the S&W Third Gens. To be clear, this isn't for you to post a random grip company that you kinda sorta think might have them for us to check, or may own grips for another gun, or just think are cool. verified available options for the third gen S&W, only.

I'll start:

KSD Grips USA: Options for the CS9, CS40, CS45, 39xx, 59xxx, 69xx and some TSW options.

https://www.ksdgripsusa.com/

Hogue: Options for a variety of third gens

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/grips-for-smith-wesson
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've only ever used factory or Hogue rubber grips on 3rd Gen S&W's. I really like the look and function of the Hogue rubber options. Wood grips on a stainless 3rd Gen looks out of place kind of like oversized diamond plate mud flaps on a Toyota Tacoma. Just my opinion but I think it's great your wanting to gift your friend some nice grips. Not many options out there unless you're looking at some custom made wood offerings.

I have a set of Hogue checkered Pau Ferros for a 4506, like new. If you want them drop me your address and I'll send them along.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Hogue and KSD are really the only "turnkey" options for wood grips on 3rd gens. That I know of.

I have KSDs on my 6904. They look good. And they feel absolutely fantastic. The texture of the checkering and the grain of the wood is naturally non-slip.

Name:  BD39DBBA-C035-42D2-A29B-7F4214431ECF.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  33.2 KB

BUT they feel kinda flimsy, honestly. Not quite balsa—but in that vein. They're glued together in the back and they anchor via the pin in the heel, just like the Delrin grips--but there's no tab to hold them down on the front strap. So, they feel like they'd break if they got snagged under the front edge. But again, they feel great. So.... I dunno. It's kind of an existential gun hipster dilemma.

No experience with Hogues. BUT... if you're feeling saucy... Karl Nill in Germany actually makes 59XX grips:

https://www.mactecsales.com/SW1458_p/sw1458.htm

The catch is you've gotta drill and tap the frame for the mounting screws. I think you might also have go sans ambi safety, too.

I'm sure they look freakin' cool. If I ever get really bored and have too much money, it'd be cool to have my 5906 modded to work with those things.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I have a set of Hogue checkered Pau Ferros for a 4506, like new. If you want them drop me your address and I'll send them along.
    That's incredibly generous, thank you.

Too thin for your bear paws? I understand since the Pau Ferro wood is really hard and dense, they tend to make the grips thinner than walnut and other woods.

Any other suggestions or observations on stocks? I was hoping to see you in here given you've been a fan of the third gens for a while.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's incredibly generous, thank you.

Too thin for your bear paws? I understand since the Pau Ferro wood is really hard and dense, they tend to make the grips thinner than walnut and other woods.

Any other suggestions or observations on stocks? I was hoping to see you in here given you've been a fan of the third gens for a while.
    After much experimenting, I just found I preferred the arched backstrap factory plastics.

I don't know of any others except KSD and Nils, and I've read the latter take some pretty hefty modifications to the gun to work. It's a bit of a wasteland when it comes to tarting up the 3rd Gens.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

For gen 3 I had a beat up set of Hogue's that came on a gun years ago, but I was pretty unhappy because they increased the girth of the grip significantly.

Unlike S&W gen 1 or gen 2 that work pretty much like most other two piece auto grips, part of the problem with aftermarket grips of any sort on the Gen 3's is that the grips themselves have to supply the hard base for the mainspring itself (actually its the mainspring plunger that fits on the bottom of the mainspring) to ride on. There is no part of the frame that supports the mainspring assembly in gen 3.

In gen 3 the grip itself supplies 100% of the mainspring resistance, not any part of the frame.

That can be a no-go with many types of wood because of the pressure it puts on the wood and potential for deformation. Hogue's solution is to supply a new base plate independent of the grip as part of their kit, they call it a mainspring retainer and it gets pinned into position with the pin that normally holds the stock grip in place.

You install that and get the mainspring stablized and then install the grip, but then that plate has taken up some space that the wood has to be configured around.

It works just fine, but the grip tends to get fatter and extended in the back compared to the delrin grips in my past experience.

I also think that is the reason there are so few gen 3 wood grip options in place, it is not just as simple as making a left and a right panel like other autos.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

User Tag List