Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The FN/Browning High Power-Revisited Part One

I've gone on and joined the HP Club.
    Photos to follow once I pick it up- seems the fact that everyone is buying guns makes it hard to get the background checks done.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Congrats!

Everyone needs a BHP. Or two....
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

A quick update: I have had an opportunity to square-range fire the High Power with the BH Springs Solutions' checkered matte walnut hybrid grips, and I liked them; however, the grip screw did loosen after around 50 rounds of firing, even with the red fibre washer, so the fibre washers have been yanked out and replaced with Challis rubber O-rings underneath the grip screws.

At this point, my High Power grip of preference for operational carry and use remains the RDIH grips with the VCD stippling treatment-and I'm using Challis O-rings with their grip screws as well to mitigate against screw loosening and backing out. Even if the screws do loosen on the RDIH grips, due to their wrap-around fingergroove frontstrap configuration they're less likely to have any slippage even if the screw(s) loosen and back out to a degree.

I'll have the opportunity to use the High Power in an IDPA match in a couple of weeks; BH SS has some additional prototype gear they'd like me to test, so I'll likely do that, provided they arrive and can be installed and tested prior to the match-I'll report on it appropriately. Yeah, that's a teaser....

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I've gone on and joined the HP Club.
    Photos to follow once I pick it up- seems the fact that everyone is buying guns makes it hard to get the background checks done.
    Name:  Hipower 1.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  Hipower 2.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  34.9 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

It came with VZ grips installed, so that's nice. It's also got express sights- which I may keep, depending how we do at the match this week. Trigger safety was already removed.
    It's obviously been refinished, but it's a decent job.
    SN is 111XXX, so a 1962 date according to the Browning website.

So far, I like it.

Got an ambi safety, Mec-Gar 15's, and a Wolff service spring pack on the way.

I'm wondering if the slide has an NP3 coating?
    How would I tell if it was? It does feel pretty dang slick.

Nice!

Check out Jack First for other parts if needed.

The most natural pointing auto ever made. The Grace Kelly of auto pistols.

I'll recommend you use BH Spring Solutions for replacement springs; they recommend a holistic approach with springs-replacing all of them in one fell swoop, which actually makes a lot of sense, and their spring kits aren't very expensive. Their site is well worth a detailed stroll through, as is the late Stephen Camp's, highpowersandhandguns.com.

Best, Jon

Thanks on the above advice as well. They’ve sat idle for a while, and it appears in the meantime there are places that have stepped up to address some of the issues with them...like springs.

User Tag List