Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The FN/Browning High Power-Revisited Part One

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Ordered up a SFS kit to try in my MkII. I’ll report back after install. If it works well, maybe order an additional for the MkIII.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Since RDIH has merged with BH Spring Solutions, with RDIH head and retired senior FN engineer Leon Hubert becoming part of BH SS's leadership, BH SS has a huge sale going on for all the RDIH-branded components; I assume the next production run will have the components re-branded with the BH SS logo, hence the sale of the current inventory. Worth a look if you have an interest in any of the components.

Best, Jon

Wow. I had to dig through 22 pages to revive and update the thread-not that that's a bad thing, got to revisit some other great threads enroute..SQUIRREL! I've been steadily shooting and carrying the High Power, as it's one of the main platforms I'm comitted to this year.

Last weekend I participated in a fairly intensive training and qualification course for duty for our church security team, which I head. The training was conducted by 3 active LEOs with extensive prefessional/teaching credentialing; we've used them for the past 4 years or so for both shooting, hand-to-hand, and non-physical training.

I ran the High Power as currently equipped out; SFS action, standard Mark III sights (rectangular inserts instead of dots; front sight rectangle white, rears orange), BH Springs, upgraded trigger system, RDIH extended slide stop and ambi magazine release, RDIH polymer fingergroove grip with VCD stippling, and MecGar magazines (along with one duty OEM FN/MecGar mousetrap spring magazine), and BH SS dual stage buffering recoil spring guide rod. Cartridges were 180 gr Blazer brass ball.

Training takeouts: First, the RDIH/VCD grips and the BH SS dual stage recoil spring guide rod are a superb combination, and both materially and significantly provide reduced and eminently controllable recoil. In high speed full magazine drills, starting slowly and then accellerating to "quick as you can shoot" trackable and accurate hits were consistantly provided. In qualification, I was in a three-way tie for second (first qualifier was by a superb shooter and instructor).

Second, my older MecGar magazine had some first round chambering issues; it's over 20+ years old, and while not abused, due to it's presumptively expired lifespan it''s on it's way out the door....The newer MecGar magazines and the one lone OEM FN?MecGar magazines had no issues.

Third, after some 200 rounds into training, I noticed that the slide was not being locked back after the last shot fired; and instructor counseled me that my support hand had likely drifted up during the course of fire and was nudging the slide stop upward preventing the slide locking back. I'll have to moniter and train my support hand position better; while the RDIH extended slide stop might be more susceptible to this due to its increased area, particularly in the actuating pad, it's benefits (at least to me) as a viable/ergonomic true slide release component far offset this slight negative.

Forth, Other than the initial chambering issues with the one magazine, and the above described failure of the slide to lock back on an empty magazine, the High Power performed flawlessly throughout the some 300 round course. And it was comfortable and not taxing to shoot. The SFS system was eminently usable in a tactical environment; I have no qualms with it as a duty action.

Fifth, the BH SS improved trigger system provides a wider trigger (mine is subtly (not sharply) serrated and eliminates the magazine safety. BH SS provides an optionally installable magazine eject "kicker" spring, which I elected not to installl on mine; in retrospect, I can see the benefits of it, as some magazines did not drop free when ejected. It doesn't intrude with any of the action components, so I'll eventually get around to having it installed, and would recommend going with it from the onset if you choose to go the BH SS improved trigger system route.

The ergonomic qualities of the BH SS/RDIH components were excellent, particualrly those inherent to the extended slide stop/release, the safety levers, and the ambidexterous magazine release system.

Sixth, at one point well into the training I thought my grip screws might be loosening, however the rubber Challis O-Rings I install on each screw significantly prevent screw back outs. Only sight tightening was in fact required (and was probably in retrospect unnecessary), and I'm convinced the screws would not have loosened significantly if I had left them alone.

Seventh, the 20+ pound .40 recoil spring can make slide manipulations more difficult than the 9mm spring; an overhand grasp of the slide while bringing it into your body significantly eases the process using natural mechanical advantage via positioning.

Components where there was a heavy bearing load or metal-on-metal reciprocation received grease lubrication; I use Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2, which had worked supeerbly for me over the years, thanks to p-f member Clabbersaurous's recommendaton. It does not evaporate or migrate, even under heavy and/or protracted use. For more compact guns, such as my Glock G19, I'm more likely to use a thinner viscosity cream-type lubricnt on similar components; also on my 1911s. For full-size guns, the Lucas grease works superbly. Otherwise, my general lubricant/protectant is currently Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil.

I find the High Power to be a relatively clean-shooting gun; relatively little sludge, GSR or grime seems to accumulate in heavy or protracted use. I find that there's little contamination in the firing pin chamber area as well, arguably the design which seems to preclude extensive contamination may assist in its reliable functioning.

The holster I used throughout was Wes Dahl's excellent Privateer Leather 3-Slot Highwayman, and with quality leather; there were no issues with draw or one-handed re-holstering.

Great training throughout the day, and a renewed appreciation and respect for the upgraded High Power.

Best, Jon

As currently equipped as discussed:

Last edited by JonInWA; 01-12-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    the slide was not being locked back after the last shot fired;
    The problem may well have been your contact point, but I have one HP, a MK III FN branded version, that will never lock back on empty on the new generation of Mec-gar mags. Mec-gar significantly changed their BHP follower design some time in the last 3-4 years and this gun will slide lock on empty for the old mags, but never for the new version mags....like I said may not be related at all to your experience, but something that surprised me.

I don't know the reason(s) for this design change on the Mec-gar mags. I will try and take a picture when I get home tonight so others are aware.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    The problem may well have been your contact point, but I have one HP, a MK III FN branded version, that will never lock back on empty on the new generation of Mec-gar mags. Mec-gar significantly changed their BHP follower design some time in the last 3-4 years and this gun will slide lock on empty for the old mags, but never for the new version mags....like I said may not be related at all to your experience, but something that surprised me.

I don't know the reason(s) for this design change on the Mec-gar mags. I will try and take a picture when I get home tonight so others are aware.
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'll be competing in an IDPA match this weekend with the High Power and the same magazines, so I'll be paying particular attention to weeding out the problem child(ren).

Best, Jon

Update 1/16/22: I shot a 6 stage IDPA match yesterday, with only one shoter-induced malfunction: After "Barney loading" my first round in the very first stage, I then insufficiently seated my full 10 round magzine, resulting in a"Bag" followed by a "What the heck??" when the next triggerpull for the second round resulted in a "click." Obviously, the insufficiently locked-in magazine had dropped down a bit in the receiver, precluding the stripper rail from picking up the next cartridge.... Quickly rectified by a tap-rack-bang...

Zero slide lock-back issues. Zero magazine issues...Just a great day of shooting with friends and a superb machine. No excessivably noticible shooter kerfluffles. Again noticed the reduced muzzle flip and quick tracking due to the combination of the BH SS dual stage buffering guide rod and improved trigger. The extended slide release was also much apprecited and effectively utilized after slide-lock reloads. to quickly get the slide into battery.

Blazer Brass 180 gr .40 predominantly used, with a smattering of Sellier & Belliot 180 gr.

Best, Jon

Mec-gar 9mm BHP follower change

On the left the older version of the Mecgar 9mm BHP magazine follower, on the right their new version, no idea when exactly the change was made or why. I only have one MK III that refuses to lock open last round on the newer version. The others I own work fine including my old MK II and the Argentines.

Name:  Mecgar followers bhp 9.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  26.0 KB

FN High Power Update

I just used the High Power in the Western Washington Regional IDPA Championship Match, where I had a great time and the gun performed magnificently, with absolutely zero hiccups or malfunctions of any kind. I used a Mec-Gar magazine with a Mec-Gar extended basepad, which ingeniously replaced the OEM sheet metal basepad, providing for 11 rounds of .40, allowing me to compete in ESP at Division capacity of 10+1 (11) in the initial magazine without having to resort to using a "Barney" magazine for the initial loading. My two reload magazines were OEM 10 round FN "mousetrap" magazines, with their NP3-like finish; all magazines performed very satisfactorily throughout.

While I competed with the FDE/coyote RDIH grips with David Barnes' VCD treatment, after the match, playing gun Barbie, I switched them out for an identical set of black RDIH/VCD grips; these grips, in my opinion, based on several years of use are the penultimate tactical High Power grips-and they're a superb value as well.

Ammunition used was PMC Bronze standard pressure 180 gr flat point ball; while I usually prefer Sellier & Bellot or American Eagle 180 gr cartridges, the PMC Bronze was decent, accurate and effective (and available).

My holster was Privateer Leather's superb 3-Slot Highwayman OWB from Wes Dahl,

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I just used the High Power in the Western Washington Regional IDPA Championship Match, where I had a great time and the gun performed magnificently, with absolutely zero hiccups or malfunctions of any kind. I used a Mec-Gar magazine with a Mec-Gar extended basepad, which ingeniously replaced the OEM sheet metal basepad, providing for 11 rounds of .40, allowing me to compete in ESP at Division capacity of 10+1 (11) in the initial magazine without having to resort to using a "Barney" magazine for the initial loading. My two reload magazines were OEM 10 round FN "mousetrap" magazines, with their NP3-like finish; all magazines performed very satisfactorily throughout.

While I competed with the FDE/coyote RDIH grips with David Barnes' VCD treatment, after the match, playing gun Barbie, I switched them out for an identical set of black RDIH/VCD grips; these grips, in my opinion, based on several years of use are the penultimate tactical High Power grips-and they're a superb value as well.

Ammunition used was PMC Bronze standard pressure 180 gr flat point ball; while I usually prefer Sellier & Bellot or American Eagle 180 gr cartridges, the PMC Bronze was decent, accurate and effective (and available).

Best, Jon
    Nice. SFS kit installed?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List