Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post -Incident, is your Carry Pistol Forfeit?

Post -Incident, is your Carry Pistol Forfeit?

I’m looking for no-BS answers on this topic; generally speaking ( there’s always exceptions) after a UOF incident is the personal firearm(s) used forfeit to the state evidence department once the case is concluded? Or is there a reasonable expectation to get the piece back once all the litigation is done years later?

Coming from where I grew up using a gun defensively in Chicago meant the weapon was headed for a city funded scrap pile. Hopefully this is not the status quo elsewhere.

Edit- for this question I’m excluding issued firearms or UOF incidents by uniformed personnel.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 12-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I’m looking for no-BS answers on this topic; generally speaking ( there’s always exceptions) after a UOF incident is the personal firearm(s) used forfeit to the state evidence department once the case is concluded? Or is there a reasonable expectation to get the piece back once all the litigation is done years later?

Coming from where I grew up using a gun defensively in Chicago meant the weapon was headed for a city funded scrap pile. Hopefully this is not the status quo elsewhere.

Edit- for this question I’m excluding issued firearms or UOF incidents by uniformed personnel.
    Depends on who is investigating you. Based on policies and procedures our last OIS had the guns returned before the officers names were released to the press. And sliding glassed doors were smashed in the home.... New OISes have State Police investigating the incident....transparency and lack of bias and all....

My plan is to assume as soon as I am acquited to have my attorney immediately demand that my personal property be returned...that may or may not happen. Plan to lose your shit...try to keep it...take what you can get. Different rules in different areas will affect this.

Sorry that my answer does not help you....

pat

Post -Incident, is your Carry Pistol Forfeit?

The two people I know of who shot assailants had their guns returned, after several months, when no charges were filed against them.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My experience:

South Florida early 90's. Mine was taken and held for 44 days and I received a mail notice that I could go pick it up. Went in to address on letter in the city, went to a window showed ID, signed for it in a nice cardboard evidence box. Left. Still have it in my safe to this day.

Arizona... thankfully I haven't had to exercise that option in 25 years here. However had an friend that did around 2002-2003 in metro Phoenix area. He got his back in under 3 weeks. Same thing for him but his was at a County location on lower buckeye.
    Last edited by eb07; 12-17-2019 at 01:31 PM.

I agree. It depends entirely where you are. Constitutionally, it should remain your property. The law of deodands is a relic of medieval England, and has no application here. Nor should the "custom" of the keepers of some evidence rooms that they should be allowed to distribute property to their friends after the case is resolved. That being said; hiring a $300 per hour attorney to get back a $600 carry piece is probably not going to be an effective financial choice if they refuse to hand it back to you.

Site Supporter
    The firearm is your property. How long it will be held in evidence will vary by agency/jurisdiction but it can only legally be forefeited if you illegally possessed it at the time of the shooting or you are convicted of a crime in relation to the shooting.

The only other possible outcome is if it takes a long time (years) and they are unable to contact you when time comes to return it. If you don’t claim it after a certain period of time it gets treated as abandoned property. They would normally call and or send a letter to whatever address and phone number or an agency records.. If that letter was returned they would likely query the state DMV database and make a second attempt based on whatever is on file there. That would likely be the extent of attempts to contact you.

I have seen everything from a couple of weeks to a year and a half in officer involved shootings depending on who is investigating.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-17-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I’m looking for no-BS answers on this topic; generally speaking ( there’s always exceptions) after a UOF incident is the personal firearm(s) used forfeit to the state evidence department once the case is concluded?
    That strikes me as unconstitutional deprivation of property.

Here you will get your weapon back once it's been through the lab testing and there's no reason to hold it as evidence for court. It can be weeks, months, or years. Months is the norm, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I am figuring it is just gone.

I'll pull an identical one from the safe and carry on. I have the same plan for the home defense rifle.

Less things to be concerned about, thinking as a person who has never been in a fist fight (sheltered life or maybe a smart one) I'll have enough to deal with after I shot one to XX number of folks trying to hurt me or my family.

I carry a pretty stock Glock, although I'd like to think I would have the same attitude with a Wilson Combat or whatever.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I am figuring it is just gone.

I'll pull an identical one from the safe and carry on. I have the same plan for the home defense rifle.

Less things to be concerned about, thinking as a person who has never been in a fist fight (sheltered life or maybe a smart one) I'll have enough to deal with after I shot one to XX number of folks trying to hurt me or my family.

I carry a pretty stock Glock, although I'd like to think I would have the same attitude with a Wilson Combat or whatever.
    Some people don't want them back. Others can't wait to have them back. Same with suicide guns. Some survivors want them and will call daily asking if it's been released yet, others want nothing to do with the weapon.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Too many variables.
    I'd offer up a number, but it would mean counting how many states, counties, and municipalities could potentially be handling the case. We all know there are some places that it doesn't matter how "righteous the shoot", as the TeeVee cops say, you'll have to go back to court to get your gear back. I am aware of one case locally (Tacoma, IIRC) where just that happened, and when the woman did finally get her pistol back it was in pieces. The claim was that the investigation "required" it to be disassembled, and that they had no obligation to reassemble it afterward...

Ideally, of course, you would not only be exonerated but also be honored with a parade down main street and presented with the keys to the city, but we all know that's not likely to happen.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List