Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: SIG new releases and discontinued models

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm talking about 9mm. P229-1 and P229-2 use different magazines as the mag well changed. Never owned a 40 so can't comment.
    The original P229 9mm uses a 9mm specific frame which only accepted P228 mags.

The P229-1 frame and the P229 .40 frame are the same frame. SIG switched to building the P229 9mm on the .40 frame to streamline production and cut costs.

There is no 229-2 frame. I believe you are confused because you are mislabeling the original 13 round P229 frame as the 229-1.

Regardless the old 13 round mags will work in the new 229-1 guns and converted .40 cal guns.

The 15 round 229-1 mags won’t work in the old 13 round guns but SIG doesn’t care. The frame switch was about them saving money by using .40 frames for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    We get it. You have no respect for any gun that's not a 1911.

Any smith who could drill and tap for sights or a scope mount could also install Beretta or 1911 grip screw bushings in a Sig, if needed. It's not rocket surgery.

Not in the slightest, but Sigs have glaring flaws and that's why the world has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The original P229 9mm uses a 9mm specific frame which only accepted P228 mags.

The P229-1 frame and the P229 .40 frame are the same frame. SIG switched to building the P229 9mm on the .40 frame to streamline production and cut costs.

There is no 229-2 frame. I believe you are confused because you are mislabeling the original 13 round P229 frame as the 229-1.

Regardless the old 13 round mags will work in the new 229-1 guns and converted .40 cal guns.

The 15 round 229-1 mags won’t work in the old 13 round guns but SIG doesn’t care. The frame switch was about them saving money by using .40 frames for everything.
    Probably. Evidently I'm not the only one. 8 new flavors of 229? Sounds like General Motors corporate philosophy around 1980.

I still have my 239 and I'll keep it but I've moved on.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Not in the slightest, but Sigs have glaring flaws and that's why the world has moved on.
    There isn’t a semiautomatic pistol on the market that doesn’t have flaws. The classic P series SIGs are actually pretty darn good guns. The only DA/SA from that era that I really consider to be better are the Beretta 92s, and they do have things that break and fail also. This is coming from a dude that owns no Classic P series SIGs and a bunch of 92s. Then again, I’m pretty realistic that the pistol just isn’t the most important part of a lot of these equations.

I hate what Cohen has done to the P22x pistols, mostly because it means I can’t just go out and buy a new one anytime I like and be 90% sure it’s good to go out of the box. But to simply dismiss the entire line as suboptimal for its entire production history is pretty much missing the point. Those SIGs performed well for a lot of folks for a long time.

I bought my first P226 in 86, same year I bought my first 92, and ironically G17, to call it a milestone year would be a gross understatement.
    When the smoke cleared (pun) the only one of the 3 I kept was the 226.

Site Supporter
    Nothing is perfect but the only “glaring” flaw in the SIG P series guns is SIG itself such as the declining and erratic quality control, and cost cutting changes like the long extractor being beta tested on their customers.

If you get a properly built example, the one piece slide P226 or 229 is accurate, reliable and a 100,000 round gun (or more) if appropriate maintenance is performed.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-19-2019 at 08:39 PM.

All the glaring flaws I know about the legacy SIG P-series are due to SIGs current inability to build them correctly, turning them into a guessing game on whether you got 1 out of 5 that will crack its frame, or whether it was assembled correctly.

I'm unaware of any "glaring" flaws with the pistols design themselves.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Nothing is perfect but the only “glaring” flaw in the SIG P series guns is SIG itself such as the declining and erratic quality control, and cost cutting changes like the long extractor being beta tested on their customers.

If you get a properly built example, the one piece slide P226 or 229 is accurate, reliable and a 100,000 round gun (or more) if appropriate maintenance is performed.
    That's my experience. I just sold a new 229 Classic because it just didn't shoot well. A friend of mine has a new 226 and it's exceptionally accurate. With one mag at 15 yds I had 7 rds in one hole that could be covered with a quarter. Now who wouldn't want a pistol like that? The problem is you just never know which one you will get these days. My 239 is fine but it's pretty old.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Give it until 2022...
    I hope Sig keeps making these. I just bought an HK P2000 using some store credit.....but there are still 2022s under the glass going for 349.99....I saw 2 being stacked up for the layaway closet while I was waiting on NICS, and thinking that I should have gone in for a 3rd 2022 instead and used the remaining credit for ammo or a threaded barrel. Such is life.

I bought the early P229 .40 issued to me in late '96 when we switched to the railed P229 c. Mid 2000s.

My gun was fantastically smooth and accurate, and I still pack it at times off-duty.

The new ones shat the sheets so frequently over the next few years on the range we switched to G22s and G23s.

I'll likely get the 9mm conversion kit with an optic for my dotage, a dozen mags and a few parts due to the way European arms makers really drop everything when a Model goes bye bye.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 12-25-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

User Tag List