Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG new releases and discontinued models

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I've never even handled one, but I wish the 225 had had a longer run. Based on it's dimensions, I don't think it's a terribly practical pistol, but I sure love it's aesthetics.
    The P225s biggest draw is nostalgia. And it's not even significant nostalgia, the bulk of the buying public was introduced to the P225 in 2008-9 with the imported surplus P6s. Not like it was an popular American service pistol or Mil sidearm. It's just "an old German SIG".

Nostalgia isn't enough to sustain a significant production line from a major manufacturer. And frankly they were misguided in trying to reintroduce it: its not a practical pistol at all and had little place in the new production market.

Im glad their finally paring down their sku.
    Classic series lines need to be a base model, a Legion version, and (if applicable) the military issue version.

The P320 is going to get out of hand after a while. They should probably start a "custom build" section of the website.

They have the standards, the pro series, x-series (blank and FDE), 2 Vtacs, Legion, and MHS and the list keeps growing.

Lack of Confidence with SIG

I'd be hesitant to buy anything from SIG based on my personal fear of SIG discontinuing a model or model line; then not providing much, if any, spare parts support from then on.

Having the many different models within a product line with various SKUs seemingly constantly coming then going also provided me a lack of confidence. For the time-being, I'll keep the three SIGs I've got as they seem to be working well without breakages.

They are all 9mm:
    the old model P225;
    a P229R "Legacy" which has the older railed frame, short extractor, E2 grip, and which take the P228 sized 9mm mags;
    a P226R with a long external extractor (the extractor didn't work 100% at first but new extractor springs fixed that issue) and E2 grip.

I'd always used Glocks for work, but some neighboring departments used SIGs and I wanted some familiarity with them, plus I could carry anything I wanted off-duty.

I considered but decided against SIG's 1911 models, MCX, MPX, and its recent optics as I just wasn't confident of longer term support and if there'd be any unforeseen problems any research didn't disclose to me. Also, SIG's products tend to cost a bit more from what I could tell. The P320 series seems to be on the right track pricing-wise, but then SIG's voluntary-upgrade to its P320 safety issue knocked any possible increase in confidence down again.

At this point in my life, I'm staying with what I've got; not looking too hard at newer guns; and keeping up with and still learning to shoot well with what I've got (Glocks, 1911s, AR15s, pump shotguns, some revolvers, those 3 SIGs and very few others.

Site Supporter
    Good thinking, L-2. I was a Sig fanboy for years and wrote the proposals for my agency to transition from revolvers to the 226 and, later, to go to the .40 226. (I wasn't entirely on board with that decision, but the supposedly wiser people in the training program knew better, but wrote less well.)
    I purchased a 320 as an off duty and eventual retirement weapon, but...
    My cary weapon is a Glock 19. I just cannot trust SigSauer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post
    The P225s biggest draw is nostalgia. And it's not even significant nostalgia, the bulk of the buying public was introduced to the P225 in 2008-9 with the imported surplus P6s. Not like it was an popular American service pistol or Mil sidearm. It's just "an old German SIG".
    I switched from a P228 to a P225 in 1999 when, during the "high capacity magazine ban", it became too much of a pain to acquire high cap magazines, and the +2 advantage a neutered 10-round mag had over the P225 wasn't worth it to me.

Biggest gun mistake I've ever made was selling those W. German P228s...

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I'd be hesitant to buy anything from SIG based on my personal fear of SIG discontinuing a model or model line; then not providing much, if any, spare parts support from then on.

Having the many different models within a product line with various SKUs seemingly constantly coming then going also provided me a lack of confidence. For the time-being, I'll keep the three SIGs I've got as they seem to be working well without breakages.

They are all 9mm:
    the old model P225;
    a P229R "Legacy" which has the older railed frame, short extractor, E2 grip, and which take the P228 sized 9mm mags;
    a P226R with a long external extractor (the extractor didn't work 100% at first but new extractor springs fixed that issue) and E2 grip.

I'd always used Glocks for work, but some neighboring departments used SIGs and I wanted some familiarity with them, plus I could carry anything I wanted off-duty.

I considered but decided against SIG's 1911 models, MCX, MPX, and its recent optics as I just wasn't confident of longer term support and if there'd be any unforeseen problems any research didn't disclose to me. Also, SIG's products tend to cost a bit more from what I could tell. The P320 series seems to be on the right track pricing-wise, but then SIG's voluntary-upgrade to its P320 safety issue knocked any possible increase in confidence down again.

At this point in my life, I'm staying with what I've got; not looking too hard at newer guns; and keeping up with and still learning to shoot well with what I've got (Glocks, 1911s, AR15s, pump shotguns, some revolvers, those 3 SIGs and very few others.
    I can understand hesitantcy over long term support. I usually hear this on relation to the 556 line, that despite poor sales it still lasted 12 years.

The P320 had a positive road ahead, although if it hadn't been selected by DHS and DoD I wouldn't be convinced of that. The MCX also seems to be doing really well as it's sales in the first couple years outpaced all the 556s ever sold and it keeps winning USSOCOM contracts as well as going well with foreign SOF. It'll never be beat the level of adoption that the AR/M4 has, but I can see it being the HK416 successor with the added advantage of civ sales.

Quote Originally Posted by tcba_joe View Post

The P320 is going to get out of hand after a while. They should probably start a "custom build" section of the website.
    This idea came up on a P&S Modcast at some point, and I think its brilliant.

Walk into your LGS, say "I want a 320". They pull out a trigger group, there you go. Then they pull out all the grip modules, so you can pick out what you want, grip wise. Then there's an array of slides compatible with your grip module, you pick what you want. Put it all together, boom, you have your own 320, without first buying a full version and then adding on.

I understand this would be challenging logistically, but dang would it be cool, and would provide sig with some data on the most commonly sold configurations.

When they discontinued the P239, I knew that my time as a SIG fan was just about up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    Did i miss seeing the 2022, or do they just not bother to list it?
    No changes so it didn’t make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Honestly something they should have done 5 years ago, a well built plain P226 is all you need. They didn’t need 25 colored variants of the same gun. Just as long as they don’t go away completely.....
    While I agree with you, it looks like SIG is dumping the "plain P22X" guns. A quick scan shows the Nitron guns are being discontinued, but if you want a Legion or gun with a red dot, you'll be fine. Admittedly, the diamond plate options are gone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    No changes so it didn’t make the list.
    Give it until 2022...

User Tag List