Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A .38 for my thirty-eighth: 3" S&W M36-1.

A .38 for my thirty-eighth: 3" S&W M36-1.

Turned 38 today so I figured it was only fitting to pick up another .38spl. This little S&W 3" M36-1 was languishing in the used case of my favorite store, with just enough wear on it to bring the price down to bargain level, but not enough to indicate actual hard use. It is interesting to me how much larger this gun feels than my 1 7/8" Model 36; likely the combination of the increased barrel length and the target-style rib. Action is typical old S&W J-frame so it will get an Apex spring kit and plenty of dry-firing after a thorough cleaning. Looking forward to putting it on the timer against my other J-frame .38's next time I take the snubs to the range; it'll be wearing Pachmayr's for that trip. As nice as the factory stocks look, and as fast as they feel in the hand, every time I shoot with them I'm reminded why so many used S&W's are found without their original grips

Last edited by oregon45; 12-16-2019 at 07:52 PM.

That is very spiffy. And one like it is on my "to acquire" list.

Congrats!

Site Supporter
    Very nice looking piece

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Very pretty gun,
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nice!
    I had a 3” Model 36 and with Compac stocks it was a nice belt gun for my hand size. But the narrow grooved trigger was uncomfortable for double-action shooting and I eventually sold it. In retrospect I should have replaced the trigger and kept it.

Site Supporter
    That would be so awesome to shoot with wadcutters. I've found I need a covered backstrap on a J frame, without it the gun's too small to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    As nice as the factory stocks look, and as fast as they feel in the hand, every time I shoot with them I'm reminded why so many used S&W's are found without their original grips
    I like these Altamonts

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Very nice!
    We have a 3" Model 36 with the square butt I got a few years back and it's a great shooter. Steel frame and that 3" barrel seem to really change the little beastie for the better. Ours is mechanically great but the finish if really worn though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My LGS has had a 100% MINT 36-1 sitting in the used case for a few months. The tag reads $500, but they’re negotiable. I would buy it, but I already have two snubnose Model 36 revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My LGS has had a 100% MINT 36-1 sitting in the used case for a few months. The tag reads $500, but they’re negotiable. I would buy it, but I already have two snubnose Model 36 revolvers.

If it has a 3 inch barrel, but it. Those prices are just going to go up.

I had a 3 inch model 36. It was incredible beat up, but it was one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot (my view is that most vintage S&W revolvers are plenty accurate, but I routinely outshot a heavy barrel Model 10 with this).

User Tag List