Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A .38 for my thirty-eighth: 3" S&W M36-1.

Site Supporter

3 inch Chief Special revolvers

I have two 3 inch S&W 36 revolvers and a three inch S&W 60.

I carried one as my primary off-duty gun for 35 years.

I really like the way the 3 inch balances. All my guns have Pachmayr rubber grips. I've always carried them in OWB leather holsters.

I know a lot of people prefer a shorter barrel on a small revolver to allow pocket carry, but I've always preferred to use a holster.

I have a 3 inch heavy barrel S&W 650 in .22LR that I use as a practice gun.

I would suggest you don't even fool with +P rounds. I bought one for my wife in the 80's and it may have been one of my favorite handguns. Problem was that even with Bullseye springs in it, she just didn't shoot it as well as my K frame. I finally traded it for a Ruger .44 Hunter when Illinois started a handgun season years ago. I never dreamed Illinois would ever allow CCW.

When we had the 36 I kept +P in it and only shot them on occasion for familiarization. Mostly it shot wadcutters and light hand loads. But when I traded it you could see that it had loosened where the crane closes to the frame. I don't think it takes very many +P rounds to loosen one. Congratulations on a nice purchase. I wouldn't mind having the old pinned 3" back myself. I think I also liked the Compacs on it along with some S&W banana style grips. But the Compacs really felt much better.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Turned 38 today so I figured it was only fitting to pick up another .38spl. This little S&W 3" M36-1 was languishing in the used case of my favorite store, with just enough wear on it to bring the price down to bargain level, but not enough to indicate actual hard use.
    Congrats. What a great idea. I’d borrow that idea, but I’ve reached the muzzle loader caliber ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Congrats. What a great idea. I’d borrow that idea, but I’ve reached the muzzle loader caliber ages.
    I had considered committing to my Glock 43 for my forty third year. It didn’t work. Maybe I will commit to Glock 45 in a year and a half.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Nothing wrong with that! I got a .22 when I turned 22, and a .45 when I turned 45. Haven’t really done it with other birthdays, though.

I think a .75 caliber would require a Destructive Device stamp.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List