Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Leather Holster Makers Make The Grade For Heavy Use FOF Testing?

Anything made out of quality horsehide or cowhide with properly sewn or solid loops will be virtually impossible to rip off of someone in an entangled fight. Leather stretches, but does not tear or break unless it is old, dry, and thin.

Think about it for a second - do leather belts fail because they break or because they stretch out and get floppy?

I would not be concerned using a Kramer, Red Nichols, Milt Sparks, or even Don Hume holster in FOF. I'm more concerned about leather holsters that mount plastic or metal clips using a screw by way of retention. I have a very nice Alessi Talon Plus with a plastic clip that is sewn into a pouch on the holster. It works great for and locks under the belt firmly, but I'm not convinced it is as sturdy as a metal clip or would hold up to a weekend long ECQC class. Which is why it is basically the holster for quick dog walks or trips to the stop and rob.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I remember SLG mentioning that the leather works well in the hands-on stuff better than kydex, for ccw. Something about when the pistol breaks free of its tension, the gun has no resistance to coming out easily and completely, but leather grabs it longer.
    The late Paul Gomez with a similar point beginning at about the 4:45 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk

Site Supporter
    If a pancake holster will suit your requirements you might consider Simply Rugged. Worn with a stiff belt I can't imagine that holster failing. And, because of the pancake design, retention is surprisingly good. Too good when they are new. Some break in is required.

Dave

Leather being a material with give to it, relative to its thickness/depth; it provides for additional friction and purchase to the weapon's various protrusions when it is levered or torqued off-axis, relative to the intended direction of the drawstroke.

(This can also be observed by shooters as a sensation of binding if their drawstroke isn't what it optimally should be, or if there is external pressure upon either face of the holster.)
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    If a pancake holster will suit your requirements you might consider Simply Rugged. Worn with a stiff belt I can't imagine that holster failing. And, because of the pancake design, retention is surprisingly good. Too good when they are new. Some break in is required.

Dave
    A good leather belt holster, worn with a multiple-layer synthetic belt is pretty hard to to cause a failure in. I gave up largely on leather belts, due to their tendency to stretch and/or sag (or even the double layer ones), but a nylon webbing belt, particularly a multi-layer one, has the tensile strength of a heavy duty vehicle towstrap. Combined with a solid leather loop holster, it's pretty difficult to find a significantly failure point there that isn't due to a manufacturing defect or carelessness.

I agree on the webbing belts. I'm a leather guy, I make knife sheaths and do some saddle and tack repair, have my boots and belts custom made.

But when I wear a gun, it's with a Wilderness belt. Better material and no buckle to be either too tight or too loose.

I didn't test any of these in the ECQC class I took. I was still 'working' at the time, so I carried my off-duty pistol with a WML.

Of the leather or horsehide holsters I have, in terms of perceived durability, I'd be comfortable recommending: Kramer #1-1/2 IWB, Kramer Vertical Scabbard, C Rusty Sherrick Vertical High-Ride Scabbard, and 5 Shot's SME.

I've carried a Rusty Sherrick SIS for years as my non-uniformed duty holster in conjunction with a Milt Sparks belt. I think it, and those of similar design (Bruce Nelson-style with a thumb break), are some of the most secure out there for "soft" OWB carry.

The most secure and best in my opinion are the Safariland ALS series attached to a strong duty belt. I would not consider anything else for uniform carry.

http://www.c-rusty.com/

He makes standard and some unique holsters. Ive been very pleased with the work Ive received from him.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I remember SLG mentioning that the leather works well in the hands-on stuff better than kydex, for ccw. Something about when the pistol breaks free of its tension, the gun has no resistance to coming out easily and completely, but leather grabs it longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    The late Paul Gomez with a similar point beginning at about the 4:45 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7VbYh9Qqk
    Beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Think about it for a second - do leather belts fail because they break or because they stretch out and get floppy?

I would not be concerned using a Kramer, Red Nichols, Milt Sparks, or even Don Hume holster in FOF.
    I would add Sam Andrews to the list. While not rolling around in it, I had a black McDaniel II rig. The holster was loaned out and not returned. I still have the IWB mag pouch. The 1.5" suede-lined belt was no-shit worn on an almost daily basis for better than 12 years, and only retired because it had finally shrunk to about 1.25" and the exterior was beginning to get scaly. The only maintenance it ever received was periodic dye and Kiwi polish.

While the Hume leather is perfectly serviceable, a side-by-side comparison with Kramer clearly shows which is superior...and that was new Hume : used Kramer.

I recently got a McDaniel II for my commander, and my next holster purchase will be a Red Nichols To Catch a Thief for my Hi-Power.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List