Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Leather Holster Makers Make The Grade For Heavy Use FOF Testing?

I simply mean rugged enough to where you could use it for pretty much anything, whether LE or civilian. Not an openly carried Duty rig, really any leather holsters that are vetted for hard use and could be used for Duty or other serious EDC use without a second though.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I used my Red Nichols Avenger style holster through SouthNarc's ECQC as well as several years of plain clothes daily carry.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I used a JRC AIWB CDA II holster for ECQC, and it appeared to have survived with no discernible loss of rigidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    really any leather holsters that are vetted for hard use and could be used for Duty or other serious EDC use without a second though.
    Just about any quality custom leather holster is made with top shelf materials and quality craftsmanship. That's about as rugged as leather goods can be made.

As far as "vetting"...….who does it and what's the standard? Or is that a buzzword?

I remember SLG mentioning that the leather works well in the hands-on stuff better than kydex, for ccw. Something about when the pistol breaks free of its tension, the gun has no resistance to coming out easily and completely, but leather grabs it longer.

The main problem I've had over the years is the holster being too tight for a good draw.

Other than that, you have it backwards.

Kydex with loops held on with screws and little hardware are not nearly as tough as you'd think.

ESPECIALLY paddle holsters and holsters with the loop/clip/whatever on the back of the holster and not spread out like the Raven Phantom/Perun.

I used to do a demo on how on easy it was to rip Serpas, and paddle holsters off a belt. Hint: I'm 5'8", 135 and it's ain't hard.

I don't think I have enough muscle to rip even a cheapie leather pancake off a belt, and probably not a sewed on loop. QUALITY leather? Stuff is so much tougher than Kydex there's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    The main problem I've had over the years is the holster being too tight for a good draw.

Other than that, you have it backwards.

Kydex with loops held on with screws and little hardware are not nearly as tough as you'd think.

ESPECIALLY paddle holsters and holsters with the loop/clip/whatever on the back of the holster and not spread out like the Raven Phantom/Perun.

I used to do a demo on how on easy it was to rip Serpas, and paddle holsters off a belt. Hint: I'm 5'8", 135 and it's ain't hard.

I don't think I have enough muscle to rip even a cheapie leather pancake off a belt, and probably not a sewed on loop. QUALITY leather? Stuff is so much tougher than Kydex there's no comparison.
    Agreed

The only kydex holster designs close to leather in strength are pancakes where the belt slots are integral to the body of the holster and holster is riveted (not screwed) together.

Something like this: https://www.alabamaholster.com/product/the-flapjack/
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 12-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Site Supporter
    I routinely taught combatives including concealed weapon retention for several years using red guns, Kramer horsehide vertical belt scabbard/belt scabbard, with their matching horsehide belt. These classes were vigorous! Bumps, bruises, abrasions, sprained fingers and sometimes stitches for students as well as instructors, were not unusual. The belt/holster from Kramer were about as tough a concealed carry rig as any could be. They endured all the physical abuse, exposure to sweat, and abrasion that you would expect to see in that sort of full-contact mat room environment. As a comparison, a Wilderness 5 stitch and a safariland 6378 (with the belt slide combo was just as competent. The paddle attachment for the 6378 was NOT as resistant to grabs. The holster retained the pistol but the paddle would allow it the holster to be pulled up and out of the pants.

Buy either combo with confidence in their durability.
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I like the Kirkpatrick TRC for an all-around holster. I've actually used it through parts of several classes, including FOF. https://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/p...rve-model-trc/

Kramer. I was particularly partial to their #3 IWB, having them for numerous pistols/revolvers over the years.

Best, Jon

User Tag List