Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92% of Americans Feel Their Basic Rights are Threatened

92% of Americans Feel Their Basic Rights are Threatened

From USA Today

Most Americans surveyed – 92% – think their rights are under siege, according to a poll released Monday.

Americans are most concerned that their freedom of speech (48%), right to bear arms (47%) and right to equal justice (41%) are at risk, says the Harris Poll/Purple Project, which surveyed 2,002 people nationwide.

"When you frame something as a threat, it creates a bit of a political response, and it creates division and encampments of special interest," said John Gerzema, CEO of the Harris Poll. That's why political parties and lobbying groups warn supporters with strident language, he said: It's easier to drum up backing for a political cause by talking about an issue in terms of "threats."

But when you start to consider which rights and freedoms really matter, Gerzema said, poll responses changed – and Americans re-prioritized which values they cared about most.

When asked what rights and freedoms Americans would miss if they were taken away – rather than which ones are threatened – poll respondents' concerns generally ticked upward.

Sixty-three percent said they would miss freedom of speech if that right was taken away, while nearly half would miss freedom of expression (46%) and the right to equal justice (45%).

"When you look at the things we really value, what makes America so special is these core tenets of our Constitution," Gerzema said. "I just find it interesting to note how much Americans really value this." cont...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Thank you, @blues, this is both good and bad to see. I like feeling as though I’m being rational and informed when I feel that my rights are threatened, but I am *appalled* by how few people would miss their rights. I’m a child of the 80s, so the “free world” was a phrase that still had meaning in my time. I do wonder exactly how the study differentiated “freedom of expression” and “freedom of speech”.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Interesting conclusion about a population of 327 million extrapolated from 2002 surveyed. I find it surprising that 92% are aware enough to understand what is going on.

Studies show that 98% of statistics are made up right on the spot.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Thank you, @blues, this is both good and bad to see. I like feeling as though I’m being rational and informed when I feel that my rights are threatened, but I am *appalled* by how few people would miss their rights. I’m a child of the 80s, so the “free world” was a phrase that still had meaning in my time. I do wonder exactly how the study differentiated “freedom of expression” and “freedom of speech”.
    You are welcome, friend. We're all in this together.

Polls have become meaningless. Most people won't answer calls from unknown numbers or hang up immediately when some solicitor/pollster starts their yammering.

Cosmopolitan magazine used to have (and may still have) goofy polls about sex stuff. I'm not sure they gleaned any useful info when the poll is among those who (a) read Cosmo and (b) care to send in a response.

Though I haven't seen it in a while, the NRA used to send out solicitations for contributions masquerading as a "poll". Let the NRA know you disapprove of draconian gun laws, so they can tell your congresscritters that the membership disapproves and....while you're at it....send us a few bucks. Oh, goodie! There's no way the NRA could ever suspect that an NRA member was against further encroachment without conducting a poll.

If polls were to be believed, we would have that foul HRC harpy in the White house right now.

That said, I do believe there is growing annoyance among the populace regarding the government eroding their rights. It has always been a tug-of-war between the "there oughta be a law" folks and the "It's a free country" folks. The 24-hour-a-day news coverage and alternative media are giving folks a non-stop look at the power-mad nitwits who want to tell us how to live, what to think, and what rules we must obey. It is no wonder that many are now waking up.

Rosco

If nothing else, I'm happy to see the first and second amendments getting more than short shrift.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I can see those numbers being roughly correct. Half the country is not in favor of an AWB, so yeah they're afraid their rights are on the chopping block.

Whites are not a huge majority anymore, so I can see where minorities may expect to not get a fair shake by the police or courts. Whether that's real or perceived, I can see where that's coming from.

Freedom of speech or "expression", I don't know. Here in farm country Illinois, we haven't caught up to the rest of the enlightened world. I know there's things I shouldn't say...but I wasn't likely to say those things anyway.

All seen, of course, from my viewpoint as a gun-owning non-felonious middle class white guy.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Studies show that 98% of statistics are made up right on the spot.
    Bullshit statistics are 73.6% more likely to be believed if you make them sound scientific by adding decimal places.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post

Cosmopolitan magazine used to have (and may still have) goofy polls about sex stuff. I'm not sure they gleaned any useful info when the poll is among those who (a) read Cosmo and (b) care to send in a response.

Those polls served me well along with "See everyone does that"!

User Tag List