Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I turn a Kimber Custom into an ICQB clone? And how?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Fifty-two pages of stuff you may already have...

Pics in Post #1

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns...o-OP/49-86667/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    That thread always makes me switch grips to my pachymers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    That thread always makes me switch grips to my pachymers
    The Pachmayrs actually work fine if you can deal with the added thickness. I have a set on my Rail Gun. But then, rubber grips are my favorites for 1911s even though I keep some wood stocks around. No finger grooves though -- yuck.

Site Supporter
    I do love me some pachy's

They do come in two thicknesses...one with a palm swell and one without. I like both but the palmswell version is IMO a little more unwieldy if you're trying to get at your mag release in a hurry

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The Pachmayrs actually work fine if you can deal with the added thickness. I have a set on my Rail Gun. But then, rubber grips are my favorites for 1911s even though I keep some wood stocks around. No finger grooves though -- yuck.
    I just like having support for the plunger tube. If the pachymers did i would never take them off.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I just like having support for the plunger tube. If the pachymers did i would never take them off.
    Yeah I hear you on that one -- it's the real drawback of the Pachmayrs. That's one reason I've never used them on a carry gun, aside from fact my carry gun has front strap checkering. The rubber grips I use do support the plunger tube. I may even look for another solution for my Rail Gun at some point, but it wears the Pachmayrs for now.

No idea whether the aforementioned PC9114 used the Caspian frame with the integral plunger tube, but I always thought that this was an improvement to the basic 1911 design.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Hmm, JS, may have something to do with the fact that Marines can/will break darn near everything!!! No sense making it easier!
    So, in regards to the USMC use of Novak fixed sights over the Army use of Bo-Mar adjustable, conventional wisdom is that the fixed sights would be more durable.

Pilot Mt. Arms Delta 1911 – Built By Former Member of Delta Force

The above linked article describes a custom 1911 builder who produces pistols that appear very similar to the PC9114; the article suggests that the pistols used by the builder while in the Army were the generation prior to the introduction of the Caspian light rail frame with the integrated magwell. I thought this excerpt was interesting...

Fire control components were improved, different operating controls were tested, and the guns got better. One such problem was that the Novak sights were shooting loose. As a result, the Unit adopted the fully adjustable Bomar rear sight that was “buried” in the slide for a low profile. The Unit transitioned to rail guns after Brian retired.

Interestingly, STI is reviving this "buried" adjustable sight design for their new Staccato Ps. They previously used this sight design for the .40 2011s that briefly succeeded the PC9114 in service.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-04-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    So, in regards to the USMC use of Novak fixed sights over the Army use of Bo-Mar adjustable, conventional wisdom is that the fixed sights would be more durable.

Pilot Mt. Arms Delta 1911 – Built By Former Member of Delta Force

The above linked article describes a custom 1911 builder who produces pistols that appear very similar to the PC9114; the article suggests that the pistols used by the builder while in the Army were the generation prior to the introduction of the Caspian light rail frame with the integrated magwell. I thought this excerpt was interesting...

Fire control components were improved, different operating controls were tested, and the guns got better. One such problem was that the Novak sights were shooting loose. As a result, the Unit adopted the fully adjustable Bomar rear sight that was “buried” in the slide for a low profile. The Unit transitioned to rail guns after Brian retired.

Interestingly, STI is reviving this "buried" adjustable sight design for their new Staccato Ps. They previously used this sight design for the .40 2011s that briefly succeeded the PC9114 in service.
    I could be wrong, but I think that "buried" Bomar-style rear sight design more or less lives on in the Springfield Armory TRP Operator too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think that "buried" Bomar-style rear sight design more or less lives on in the Springfield Armory TRP Operator too.
    Now that actual "Bo-Mar" sights are no more, who is the preferred maker of Bo-Mar style sights now? Dawson, Kensight, LPA, Caspian, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Now that actual "Bo-Mar" sights are no more, who is the preferred maker of Bo-Mar style sights now? Dawson, Kensight, LPA, Caspian, Wilson, Ed Brown, etc?
    I've seen the ones made by Kensight and Fusion Firearms and they look like good parts. Colt's are excellent, but I don't know of a source for them.

User Tag List