Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a Hamilton (watch) retailer

If you want a super accurate quartz without the time signal longines makes one that I think holds 5 sec per year
    https://shop.us.longines.com/watch-s...SAAEgJX6PD_BwE

My son has a Khaki Field 38 mm. He may wear it for a week straight. Its lost it wind so he sets it then never resets the time during the week. Im sure hes not super particular about the exactness but its good enough for him.

I think a newer decent quality mechanical holds pretty good time. Hes had it for four years and its never stopped while wearing.

Plenty of videos and inexpensive tools if you want to try and regulate a watch yourself.

Dan Henry makes some cool retro style watches using the Seiko mecha quartz movement if chronos interest you at all. It is a pretty interesting movement.

https://danhenrywatches.com/products...mo-chronograph
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys for the info. I’m really only interested in a pilot watch with open and classic face, automatic (maaaybe I could go quartz for the right watch), would love a chrono, stainless bracelet, and really really want GMT. Have narrowed it down to the two Hamiltons. Khaki Pilot Day Date (from Interstellar) and GMT as they are in my budget of around $1K. I just want to find the best price without losing a warranty or having issues with the company if I send it back for service.
    Name:  C295EB02-756F-4914-B55B-E5E57E54F997.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  30F5B035-95FC-41CE-9CFA-918A955914E4.jpg
Views: 211

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. I’m really only interested in a pilot watch with open and classic face, automatic (maaaybe I could go quartz for the right watch), would love a chrono, stainless bracelet, and really really want GMT. Have narrowed it down to the two Hamiltons. Khaki Pilot Day Date (from Interstellar) and GMT as they are in my budget of around $1K. I just want to find the best price without losing a warranty or having issues with the company if I send it back for service.
    They both look great and will look much better on the wrist. Post it in the watch thread when you get it!
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Borsheim’s Fine Jewelery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    My experience with mechanical watches is they don't keep very good time. I haven't had one in a long time so they may have improved them. One good thing about them is you don't need to find someone to replace the damn battery. That can be a problem for some models like divers that are pressure rated. Some jewelers won't work on those. At least that was my experience but I don't live in a metro area.
    This is the equivalent of me going to the revolver forum, and posting in a random thread that I had a revolver years ago and didn't care for it and letting them know there are more modern offerings. The revolver guys wouldn't be interested in my opinion.

I think you mean well, but you already derailed the Area thread with your views (and ignorance) of mechanical watches. Maybe folks that don't like mechanical watches shouldn't post in threads about mechanical watches?

(Hamilton makes quartz watches too, but the one OP is looking for is an automatic.)

I've bought a Hamilton from Ashford. It's a sample of one, but I had no issues.

The Hamilton Khaki Pilot Schott NYC watch might fit your specifications.
    200 meter water resistance and an 80 hour reserve if you don’t wear it and forget to wind it.

Shumba

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    This is the equivalent of me going to the revolver forum, and posting in a random thread that I had a revolver years ago and didn't care for it and letting them know there are more modern offerings. The revolver guys wouldn't be interested in my opinion.

I think you mean well, but you already derailed the Area thread with your views (and ignorance) of mechanical watches. Maybe folks that don't like mechanical watches shouldn't post in threads about mechanical watches?

(Hamilton makes quartz watches too, but the one OP is looking for is an automatic.)

I've bought a Hamilton from Ashford. It's a sample of one, but I had no issues.
    I'm not going to get butt hurt if I buy a revolver and someone tells me revolvers are archaic. They do have their shortcomings. I didn't say I didn't like mechanical watches. Wore them for many years after the first battery watches hit the scene.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-17-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Wise considerations.

I had a Khaki Pilot day date. Great watch , wore it as my only timepiece for about 4 years and it held up well. Until the reversing wheel failed in the movement.

The shop I took it to basically said it might do it again down the road as it was a recurring flaw in the movement, so I sold it in exchange for my Speedmaster. Buy once cry once- if I’d paid more for the piece I’d still have it, but it’s not cost effective to pump $400 into a $1000 watch every five years.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
    The Hamilton Khaki Pilot Schott NYC watch might fit your specifications.
    200 meter water resistance and an 80 hour reserve if you don’t wear it and forget to wind it.

Shumba
    Dear God! What a good looking watch! As a military pilot, that definitely appeals to my love for vintage military aviation. I don’t see that model with a GMT hand though. It definitely convinces me to get a leather band for either of the two above as that’s what the Day/ Date would look like on a band.

As a military pilot...
    Just out of curiosity, what is the current issue watch, or do they issue watches anymore?

User Tag List