Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G49 10mm

Site Supporter
    If this gun proves to actually exist, it's one of those guns that makes absolutely no friggin' sense logically but it pokes the 'this is really neat' button with me for some reason.

Anyone in their right mind would likely be better served by a G19, G20, or a USP45.
    But guns don't always have to make sense, which is why I own a TAC-14 and a few AK's.

My 629 4inch 44 mag at 41.5 oz gets carried less and less when I hike, hunt and or go in the woods. I'd love a single stack 10mm with 8 or 9 rounds, half the weight and slimmer than an N frame cylinder.

If we look at factory loadings from major manufactures what does a 10mm bring to the party (especially an 8 round one) that a .40 does not? A 200gr bullet at 1125 vs a 180gr bullet at 1050? Especially if one looks at a service sized and weight pistol with 13-15 rounds on board. A 27 ounce full sized pistol in .40 is quite shootable. It seems the 10 is not bridging any gap between service calibers and magnum revolver calibers.

The 45 super is a step up. So are heavy loaded 10's that require fiddle-f***ing and $500 in ammo to verify function.

It seems a light weight 10 single stack even with mild ammo would be difficult to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If we look at factory loadings from major manufactures what does a 10mm bring to the party (especially an 8 round one) that a .40 does not? A 200gr bullet at 1125 vs a 180gr bullet at 1050? Especially if one looks at a service sized and weight pistol with 13-15 rounds on board. A 27 ounce full sized pistol in .40 is quite shootable. It seems the 10 is not bridging any gap between service calibers and magnum revolver calibers.

The 45 super is a step up. So are heavy loaded 10's that require fiddle-f***ing and $500 in ammo to verify function.

It seems a light weight 10 single stack even with mild ammo would be difficult to use.
    Hornady & Federal 180gr go 1275 fps and 650 ftlbs. But why wouldn't you consider Corbon, Doubletap, Underwood, etc?

I sold off my 1991 G20 a few years ago. That pistol was 100% with a small sampling of DT offerings from 2005-2007 or so (135gr@1600, 180gr@1250, 230gr@1040), to include their hardcast 200gr (which I could have swore was called Beartooth). BUT, the chamber seemed loose and I got the Glock smiles really badly with almost everything I shot that was full power. It made me nervous, but maybe was more reliable as a result?

For grins, I would still like the new long slide 10mm Glock. In my mind, a single stack 10mm makes sense only to the guy who wants 1 concealable gun to rule them all... and then to take a hike in bear country.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    That pistol was 100% with a small sampling of DT offerings from 2005-2007 or so (135gr@1600, 180gr@1250, 230gr@1040), to include their hardcast 200gr (which I could have swore was called Beartooth).
    That's exactly the problem. Small sample size. There's been a resurgence of late in the 10mm, largely among two groups: 1) Hunters who want a predator defense pistol and 2) gun bubbas who want to EDC "Something different." This is why companies like Speer and Federal have invested in new loads for the 10mm.

Rhino roller 10mm ammo is expensive and is typically a mail order proposition. Most Glock 20s will make it through a few magazines of most ammo. Quite a few of my conversations about the 10mm have gone like this: "I bought two boxes of Buffalo Bore/Underwood/etc. The first one shot fine so I loaded my magazine with the second."

I've often mentioned my issues getting the 10mm to run right with heavy loads and gotten the smug response "you must be limp wristing." But when I've gotten people to be honest with their round count, my sample size is quite literally an order of magnitude more than theirs.

Over about 10K rounds of 200 grain 10mm ammo of various bullet configurations, running over 1100 FPS, I got a 3 to 5% failure to feed rate spread across three guns. Dicking with recoil springs and such required me to start the test all over again, so I never really had a truly vetted pistol.

So what I'd wind up doing is constantly tinker with hot 200 grain loads, but wind up carrying 180 grain XTP which was more of a hot .40, because I knew the gun would run with that.

It sounds like the 4" 8-round Glock 10mm is a hoax, but I don't think it's out of the question that something like that might appear. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it won't sell. I think gun manufacturers are looking for new little niches they can exploit, and get people who already own several handguns to say "Oh! I don't own one of THOSE!"
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That's exactly the problem. Small sample size. There's been a resurgence of late in the 10mm, largely among two groups: 1) Hunters who want a predator defense pistol and 2) gun bubbas who want to EDC "Something different." This is why companies like Speer and Federal have invested in new loads for the 10mm.

Rhino roller 10mm ammo is expensive and is typically a mail order proposition. Most Glock 20s will make it through a few magazines of most ammo. Quite a few of my conversations about the 10mm have gone like this: "I bought two boxes of Buffalo Bore/Underwood/etc. The first one shot fine so I loaded my magazine with the second."

I've often mentioned my issues getting the 10mm to run right with heavy loads and gotten the smug response "you must be limp wristing." But when I've gotten people to be honest with their round count, my sample size is quite literally an order of magnitude more than theirs.

Over about 10K rounds of 200 grain 10mm ammo of various bullet configurations, running over 1100 FPS, I got a 3 to 5% failure to feed rate spread across three guns. Dicking with recoil springs and such required me to start the test all over again, so I never really had a truly vetted pistol.

So what I'd wind up doing is constantly tinker with hot 200 grain loads, but wind up carrying 180 grain XTP which was more of a hot .40, because I knew the gun would run with that.

It sounds like the 4" 8-round Glock 10mm is a hoax, but I don't think it's out of the question that something like that might appear. Just because it's stupid doesn't mean it won't sell. I think gun manufacturers are looking for new little niches they can exploit, and get people who already own several handguns to say "Oh! I don't own one of THOSE!"
    My bust!!! Lol, you are right and I needed to be called out for my garbage statement on this great forum. If someone told me they shot one or two boxes of XYZ ammo, and it was good-to-go, I would question their experience.

Long story short, the G20 was my first handgun when I wasn't into shooting or handguns. A young impressionable lad. It started me on the path to both shooting and internet gun forums (I joined Glocktalk to learn at the "10 Ring" forum).

I didn't realize there was another 10mm resurgence happening. That said, I still have no mission that would require me to carry a 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

In my State, carrying a 40S&W during deer season is a no go. "Deer hunting is allowed only by shotgun, muzzleloading rifle, handguns in calibers .357 Magnum, 10mm Automatic, .41 Remington, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .480 Ruger or .50 Magnum"

You could make an argument you're carrying the 40S&W for personal protection but you'll by hassled by the warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Center Shot View Post
    Recoil magazine, has news of a possible leak, that Glock will release the G49 handgun soon. the G49 will be a 10mm with a 8 round magazine, possibly another addition to the Glock slim line. What do you think?

https://www.recoilweb.com/prediction...ks-155146.html
    As long as the soon-to-follow Glock 50 is chambered in .50 BMG, I am cool with anything good old Gaston wants to do with the Glock 49.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    My bust!!! Lol, you are right and I needed to be called out for my garbage statement on this great forum. If someone told me they shot one or two boxes of XYZ ammo, and it was good-to-go, I would question their experience.

Long story short, the G20 was my first handgun when I wasn't into shooting or handguns. A young impressionable lad. It started me on the path to both shooting and internet gun forums (I joined Glocktalk to learn at the "10 Ring" forum).

I didn't realize there was another 10mm resurgence happening. That said, I still have no mission that would require me to carry a 10mm.
    I can't necessarily beat up on people who do that, and that certainly wasn't what I was trying to do to you.

If you told me "I bought a Glock 19 and two boxes of Speer Gold Dots. I shot one box and loaded my magazine with the other," I wouldn't really raise an eyebrow.

A 9mm Glock with Gold Dots has been beta-tested literally millions of times by various law enforcement agencies. It is a fundamentally sound choice. There's always a chance a person might get a bum pistol, or a bad lot of ammo, but that combination has a proven track record.

So I think people assume a certain false equivalency with the Glock 20. "It's a Glock so it must run, right?" The thing is, the gun was designed around the 10mm Lite loads. I don't think there are any major LE agencies offering it anymore, and the ones that did in the past didn't issue rhino roller ammo.

So that platform just isn't as well understood as the 9mm platform. I can totally get why people would assume they can stuff ammo in the butt and bullets will reliably come out of the muzzle, because that's what Glocks are known for.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I do wonder if the releases of all these single stack handguns is due to companies covering the possibility of a nationwide AWB...
    Possibly design projects that were put on hold after the 2016 election are being dusted off and finished..
    Last edited by mmc45414; 12-16-2019 at 02:10 PM.

User Tag List