Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock G49 10mm

Glock G49 10mm

I couldn't be less interested in a single stack compact 10mm Glock.

Based on my experience a G20 can be made to work reliably with full power 10mm loads, but it takes aftermarket parts and a lot of testing. Even with a 24# RSA, the slide velocity makes feeding from stock magazines unreliable. Would a lighter slide on a single stack gun be an improvement? That seems unlikely, but I suppose it's possible.

The recoil on a G20 with full power loads is already quite stout, and followup shots are relatively slow. Shooting a G36 size gun with heavy 10mm seems unpleasant at best.

But all that isn't the real reason I won't be buying one in the unlikely event that Glock releases it. Just a few of many reasons I want ~15 rounds plus another 15 round reload when I'm in the backcountry... I've had encounters with:
    -3 cougars 10 feet away in NV
    -3 bears up close in MT
    -3 carloads of tweakers blocking my family's vehicle in OR

And, I would way rather have 15 rounds of 9mm than 6-8 of 10mm, especially because Lehigh XP 9mm loads are available.

I do wonder if the releases of all these single stack handguns is due to companies covering the possibility of a nationwide AWB...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-15-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Lotsa guys carrying a big compact pistol to guard their ego...
    Where exactly did you get your degree in psychology?

As for a single stack 10mm...not bloody likely. Nor will there be a single stack, full size 45 ACP. Not while 9mm is THE ANSWER to every question ever asked, or that will ever be asked for the foreseeable future.

Carefully guarding my ego with my 45 ACPs,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    A lot of guys are walking around in the mountains with a 5 or 6 shot magnum revolver. Would a lighter weight 9 shot semiauto make sense then? I know you’re using a .45 USP with .45 Super loads in Alaska, but my personal travels are more likely to include multiple return trips to California that might also include visits to Washington, Idaho, Oregon, etc, than more than one lifetime visit (bucket list hunting trip, perhaps) to Alaska.

I’m much more likely to have to shoot an irritated range cow than a bear. I’m not thinking “ooh, 10mm is The Thing.” But I am thinking that a heavier caliber hiking pistol might be “A Good Thing,” and if so, it will probably be a semiauto and may well be a G30 simply due to availability, cost, weight. and familiarity, which would, with standard mags, be 10+1. I think round count might be, at some undefinable number, a matter of angels dancing on pin heads more than likely significant need.

Slim, light, 10mm might be on that list if it got out in the world and actually works with hardcast or Underwood penetrators. For now, I’m probably just gonna keep hiking with a 9mm Glock loaded with Underwood.
    I've owned a G20 and G21 and worked them fairly hard. Right about the time I started paying attention to measuring SHO/WHO and those two fatties were tough. If I had a 10mm use case, this G49 concept would appeal to me.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Where exactly did you get your degree in psychology?
    The same place you got your tact. Or it could by my volunteer RSO experience seeing people handle guns of all shapes and sizes.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Ahhh...RSO = omnipotent......got it.

A few questions
    Does it make sense to release a single stack 10mm?
    Does Glock ever release what would make sense?
    It could happen

I think the argument for the semi-auto field pistol is as follows. For those of us annually shooting thousands, or tens of thousands of rounds through our semi-auto pistols, but only tens or hundreds of rounds through our revolvers, the semi-auto brings advantages in skill at arms. The semi-auto is usually lighter to carry, has better holster options like AIWB and ALS options, and probably is easier to maintain. The semi-auto is also more useful than a heavy revolver for non four legged threats. Finally, the semi-auto usually carries two to three times the payload of the heavy revolver.

Caliber is a two edged sword. On one hand, a larger caliber semi-auto may be more effective in stopping an animal attack. On the other hand, a larger caliber may be harder to shoot as fast, may carry fewer rounds, may be less reliable, may be harder to shoot with one hand which matters in a bear FUT, and may be less familiar than your 9mm primary service pistol. Related to stopping power, we know the statistics on defense against bears by handguns and long guns favor hand guns even in handgun service calibers not associated with bear defense. The reasons are multi fold — handguns are handier in bear attacks and most bears do not need to be killed to stop attacking you. Whether you end up choosing 9mm or something heavier like 10mm or .45 Super is a personal decision, and I am generally ambivalent as long as you pick a bullet with a good chance of penetrating a bear’s skull. I do note that some folks talk about 10mm as if it is a Brenneke slug or Garrett hard cast out of a .45-70. It isn’t!

Assuming this single stack Glock 10mm is real, and I seriously doubt it is, I am not enthusiastic both because of less rounds and my sense that a lighter/shorter pistol is unlikely to be conducive to reliability with heavy loads. I also suspect a light 10 would also make the marksmanship part harder.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I will be interested to what the gun looks like if it really is a 10mm. I have been shooting the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators in my 10mm with great success. I have not shot anything with a heart beat yet, but so far they seem to work the same if not better than my heavier/hardcast loads without all the drama. Recoil feels less, penetration is better, and they function 100%. I could seem them working nicely in a single stack 10mm.

As much as I like the 10mm, I would be surprised if they released one though.

We will see soon enough!

Take care to all.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I will be interested to what the gun looks like if it really is a 10mm. I have been shooting the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators in my 10mm with great success. I have not shot anything with a heart beat yet, but so far they seem to work the same if not better than my heavier/hardcast loads without all the drama. Recoil feels less, penetration is better, and they function 100%. I could seem them working nicely in a single stack 10mm.

As much as I like the 10mm, I would be surprised if they released one though.

We will see soon enough!

Take care to all.
    The Underwood loadings of the Lehigh Penetrators have worked in every caliber and platform I have tried them in. I have yet to experience the first stoppage in well over 1,000 of them in various different pistols. They ran in our G20 and 29 pistols, and are what I would carry in a Glock 20/29 if I wanted reliability in a penetrator load without drama.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I just assumed it was a 10mm G36.
    Going OT for a sec: the G36 is already on the edge of reliability, and mine absolutely lunches recoil springs; a new spring assembly will easily pass the Glock RSA test (vertical; trigger back; goes into battery under RSA power only/no inertia) and will start failing the test within 250-300 rounds. I’m just having a hard time seeing that performance getting any better with 10mm. It’s like trying to engineer a 10mm officer model. I suspect the lower limit on slide mass was reached with the 29/29sf. JMO. A single/stagger-stack G20sf would probably check in around 8+1, assuming we all still believe the project to actually be a real thing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List