Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson E-Series .45 1911

Vending Machine Operator

Smith & Wesson E-Series .45 1911

About three years ago, I prosecuted a case involving an attempted murder of a LEO. One of the perpetrators used a gorgeous Smith & Wesson E-series 1911, stainless with wood grips. Stolen from under a truck seat in an unlocked truck, of course.

I was offended at such a lowlife having such a nice gun and using it so heinously, so I promised myself that if I got the perpetrators behind bars, I’d get myself one as a victory gift. The case was successful, I put the two attempted cop-killers away, both effectively for life, but when I actually tried to get the 1911 I could only find it for $1200-1300. I couldn’t afford that at the time so I deferred the dream.

Well, last week I came across that exact 1911, a stainless E-series full-size .45, on a qualified purchaser sale for $800 including shipping and tax. I just had to do it, so it’s on the way.

Now that it’s on the way, I’ll use this thread to post impressions / updates. I’ve been reviewing the “art and science of 1911” thread and I’m sorta relieved it has an external extractor so I don’t have to fuss with that.

Other than quality ammo (I have Federal AmEagle 230-grain and Gold Dot 230-grain and will probably just order some more of both) and some Wilson magazines, if anyone has any suggestions for success I’m all ears. I have a great Colt Series 80 basic GI 1911 but this is my first “a couple bells and whistles” 1911.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

For what they are the E-Series S&W's are actually pretty decent. They ditched the firing pin safety and they're not Nighthawk or custom quality, but they're usually pretty well put together for average use.

Site Supporter
    Not an E-Series, but I bought a basic Model #108285 new @ 2008.

I installed C&S trigger/hammer/sear/spring kit and an Ed Brown thumb safety. I carried it for a couple of years on-duty as an investigator and have a few thousand rounds through it...it's been nothing but 100% reliable.

Site Supporter
    IIRC the external extractor on the S&W E series 45s was one of the better ones and got the nod of approval from the likes of Hilton Yam

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

My E Series was less when I bought it, but it’s a great pistol. I added nice wood stocks, a Wilson Combat sear/trigger/hammer. The slab sides were mirror polished. The properly fitted sear and hammer made the trigger spectacular.
    ETA: I just saw your actual purchase price, and that’s what I paid. It was a steal!

Vending Machine Operator
    The only thing giving me pause is the huge variety of Wilson magazines. I’ve had an awesome experience with my $38 ETMs but I’m not crazy about the baseplate with the raised letters. Are the Vickers ETMs worth $60 (!) and/or do the $45-48 HD/+P ETMs work fine with standard pressure 230, because that’s all I’ll be shooting. I’ve worked on two different shooting cases involving 230-grain Gold Dot. That round does the trick without +P.

Site Supporter
    The E Series guns tend to work and don't have the firing pin safety so that's a plus. The one I have has run fine since I bought it. The trigger is decent.

If you want to change out the sights it can be a little tricky because they don't use the standard Novak sight cuts. 10-8 discontinued their rear sight for these guns, but I think one or two manufacturers still offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    The only thing giving me pause is the huge variety of Wilson magazines. I’ve had an awesome experience with my $38 ETMs but I’m not crazy about the baseplate with the raised letters. Are the Vickers ETMs worth $60 (!) and/or do the $45-48 HD/+P ETMs work fine with standard pressure 230, because that’s all I’ll be shooting. I’ve worked on two different shooting cases involving 230-grain Gold Dot. That round does the trick without +P.
    The HD/+Ps have the flat wire springs and they work great. I've had no issues with mine shooting 230gr standard pressure ball/hollow points thru multiple 5" 1911s.

You sound like you have a pretty good knowledge base so you're probably good to go.

In the Wilson line-up, if you want an 8 rounder, get something from the ETM line-up, they should all be good. If you're picking something beyond the baseline ETM, there should be some reason, like you roll in the sand a lot - pick the Vickers mag, otherwise the baseline ETM is really all you need.

The full size 7 round 47 is my mag of choice.

Vending Machine Operator

Smith & Wesson E-Series .45 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The E Series guns tend to work and don't have the firing pin safety so that's a plus. The one I have has run fine since I bought it. The trigger is decent.

If you want to change out the sights it can be a little tricky because they don't use the standard Novak sight cuts. 10-8 discontinued their rear sight for these guns, but I think one or two manufacturers still offer them.
    That’s great to know, thank you!

Thanks y’all, I think I’ll go with the ETM HD/+P with the aluminum base pad. Can’t quite get myself to spend the Vickers money. I’ll update the thread once I have a decent number of rounds downrange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List