Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a scope mounting for dummies tutorial...

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Do you have a torgue wrench available for the screws for rings, bases, etc.?
    A Fatwrench, and others.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    My secret technique:

Step 1 - find a reputable gunsmith nearby who has a reputation for doing good work mounting scopes
    Step 2 - drive to same with rifle, rings, and scope
    Step 3 - leave same and $$ with smith
    Step 4 - come back and pickup well mounted, boresighted scope-equipped rifle.
    I don’t have anyone around here that I can trust, and I try to be self-sufficient as much as I can.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like the Wiha torque screwdriver. Because hand tools made in Germany are still pretty good.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Aight...

1) gather supplies...
    A. Acetone
    B. Q tips
    C. Loctite 243 or 222ms, depending on your mindset.
    D. Torque wrench and proper drivers.
    E. Cell phone
    F. Badger Dead-Level, or the receiver of the rifle, mounted in a rest or otherwise secured.
    G. Feeler gauges
    H. Plum bob and string and 20ft minimum to view it from.
    I. Toothpick
    J. A well lit work area free of clutter

2). Prep for install

A. Use the qtips and acetone to completely clean and degrease the screws, blind holes of the mount, ID of the rings, and OD of the mounting area of the optic.
    B. Level the dead level/or receiver using the leveling app on your phone
    C. Set up the plum bob.

3. Begin the install.

A) figure out eye relief and mounting placement of scope in the rings fore and aft. Make sure not to touch the bell, turret cluster, or get over a lens, with either ring.
    B) place the ring caps over the bottom halves, making sure they are matched, if they came with matching serial numbers such as Geissele. I never separate them even on other brands, marking their position and orientation as soon as I open the packaging using a lead #2 pencil (wipes off later, but stays long enough to do the job)
    C) use the feeler gauges to make sure all 4 gaps between cap and bottom are equal, after dropping all 8 screws into the holes and tightening them to where they first make contact. No torque. None. Just at contact, so the scope is easily turned in the rings.
    D) remove the cap on top of the optic (elevation turret) and your phone from its case.
    E) True the turret to the rail of your receiver or the deadlevel.
    F) verify that the scope is level with the plum bob, in case the internals are not 100% true to the housing.
    G) apply 5 inch pounds of torque to all 4 screws of one ring. Front or rear, doesnt matter.
    H) Verify E and F has not changed.

4. Finishing the install

A) assuming the above has checked out, remove, and apply loctite to the 4 screws of the ring that you did not tighten to 5 in lb.
    B) apply loctite to the inner threads of the blind holes that will interface with the ring cap screws.
    C) place the ring cap over the scope, and insert all 4 screws to the blind holes, tightening them until all 4 make contact.
    D) true the gaps L and R to each other, using feeler gauges. My threshold is 0.002 +-. Also, and this is best done using feel with your finger pads, as well as keen vision and good lighting, make sure that the entire ring is not shifted fore or aft of the base, but sits perfectly square above it, before beginning the final torque.
    E) set your torque wrench to the appropriate maximum desired torque. I use 20 inch pounds on most rings and optics I deal with. Vortex recommends less.
    F) Tighten the screws in a crisscross pattern. The top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right. You will torque by angle, initially, disregarding the setting of the wrench. I prefer to tighten each screw by 1 "turn of my wrist", which amounts to maybe 90 degrees per screw, per tightening. I proceed in the order outlined above through the sequence of screws, until the tension is such that the wrench clicks. I then proceed through them once more.
    G. Verify via the phone level, and plum bob, that the scope has not shifted. Verify with the feeler gauges that you've maintained your ring gap equally L and R. Verify that the ring cap still sits true, above the base.
    H. Remove the ring that was torqued to only 5 inch pounds, and repeat steps B through G.

*Keep in mind that steps C through F need to be proceeded through in less than 5 minutes, preferably less than 3, due to the loctite, which is inert until placed in an oxygen deprived environment, ie, the screws seal the blind holes.
    **Loctite has a K factor of roughly 0.20 on the slicker end.

Congratulations. You have now mounted your optic.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-16-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Aight...

1) gather supplies...
    A. Acetone
    B. Q tips
    C. Loctite 243 or 222ms, depending on your mindset.
    D. Torque wrench and proper drivers.
    E. Cell phone
    F. Badger Dead-Level, or the receiver of the rifle, mounted in a rest or otherwise secured.
    G. Feeler gauges
    H. Plum bob and string and 20ft minimum to view it from.
    I. Toothpick
    J. A well lit work area free of clutter

2). Prep for install

A. Use the qtips and acetone to completely clean and degrease the screws, blind holes of the mount, ID of the rings, and OD of the mounting area of the optic.
    B. Level the dead level/or receiver using the leveling app on your phone
    C. Set up the plum bob.

3. Begin the install.

A) figure out eye relief and mounting placement of scope in the rings fore and aft. Make sure not to touch the bell, turret cluster, or get over a lens, with either ring.
    B) place the ring caps over the bottom halves, making sure they are matched, if they came with matching serial numbers such as Geissele. I never separate them even on other brands, marking their position and orientation as soon as I open the packaging using a lead #2 pencil (wipes off later, but stays long enough to do the job)
    C) use the feeler gauges to make sure all 4 gaps between cap and bottom are equal, after dropping all 8 screws into the holes and tightening them to where they first make contact. No torque. None. Just at contact, so the scope is easily turned in the rings.
    D) remove the cap on top of the optic (elevation turret) and your phone from its case.
    E) True the turret to the rail of your receiver or the deadlevel.
    F) verify that the scope is level with the plum bob, in case the internals are not 100% true to the housing.
    G) apply 5 inch pounds of torque to all 4 screws of one ring. Front or rear, doesnt matter.
    H) Verify E and F has not changed.

4. Finishing the install

A) assuming the above has checked out, remove, and apply loctite to the 4 screws of the ring that you did not tighten to 5 in lb.
    B) apply loctite to the inner threads of the blind holes that will interface with the ring cap screws.
    C) place the ring cap over the scope, and insert all 4 screws to the blind holes, tightening them until all 4 make contact.
    D) true the gaps L and R to each other, using feeler gauges. My threshold is 0.002 +-. Also, and this is best done using feel with your finger pads, as well as keen vision and good lighting, make sure that the entire ring is not shifted fore or aft of the base, but sits perfectly square above it, before beginning the final torque.
    E) set your torque wrench to the appropriate maximum desired torque. I use 20 inch pounds on most rings and optics I deal with. Vortex recommends less.
    F) Tighten the screws in a crisscross pattern. The top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right. You will torque by angle, initially, disregarding the setting of the wrench. I prefer to tighten each screw by 1 "turn of my wrist", which amounts to maybe 90 degrees per screw, per tightening. I proceed in the order outlined above through the sequence of screws, until the tension is such that the wrench clicks. I then proceed through them once more.
    G. Verify via the phone level, and plum bob, that the scope has not shifted. Verify with the feeler gauges that you've maintained your ring gap equally L and R. Verify that the ring cap still sits true, above the base.
    H. Remove the ring that was torqued to only 5 inch pounds, and repeat steps B through G.

*Keep in mind that steps C through F need to be proceeded through in less than 5 minutes, preferably less than 3, due to the loctite, which is inert until placed in an oxygen deprived environment, ie, the screws seal the blind holes.
    **Loctite has a K factor of roughly 0.20 on the slicker end.

Congratulations. You have now mounted your optic.
    Perfect - thank you!
    Ken

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I use this digital level rather than the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/DigiPas-DWL80...dp/B001NPJGL0/

I don't know whether it's more accurate. It does have a multi-axis calibration procedure, so I'm pretty confident it's right on. I actually haven't ever used a level app on my phone, so I don't know what the zeroing procedure might be.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I use this digital level rather than the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/DigiPas-DWL80...dp/B001NPJGL0/

I don't know whether it's more accurate. It does have a multi-axis calibration procedure, so I'm pretty confident it's right on. I actually haven't ever used a level app on my phone, so I don't know what the zeroing procedure might be.
    I'm sure it works. Friend of mine uses the phone method out to 1000m with no issues.

I picked up an inexpensive Wheeler level system that a friend suggested, but it is too thick to slide under the scope tube on the mount. I’ll have to do a two step and pick up a gun vise, or try a different leveling system.
    Ken

1. Set the rifle up to your natural point of aim first, with NO scope on it at all.

2. Set the scope on top and set forward/backwards for proper sight picture at max magnification. Again, focus is on bringing scope to you, not bringing you to the scope

3. While holding rifle in natural point of aim, level scope reticle to natural fall of gravity using plumb bob and string

4. Tighten using proper torque specs from mfg. with the addition of a lil blue loktite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List