Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a scope mounting for dummies tutorial...

Looking for a scope mounting for dummies tutorial...

I’m going to be stuck at home for a few weeks following surgery on Tuesday, and I’d like to get my new DD Delta 5 set up before the cut so I can get out to the range for gentle bench sighting in during recovery. (It’s abdominal surgery, so no prone!)

I have a new SWFA 12x SS that I bought a few years ago but never mounted that I’ll be using for now at least. The rings are also SWFA - S.S.A.L.T.

Has anyone seen any decent scope mounting tutorials? I’ve always done it trial and error, getting the fore and aft positioning set so I’m in the center of the eye box has always been a challenge. And in the past I’ve usually used single piece ring and base combinations. In this case I’ll be using two rings, so that’s another complication - where to set them.

Help the dummy?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m going to be stuck at home for a few weeks following surgery on Tuesday, and I’d like to get my new DD Delta 5 set up before the cut so I can get out to the range for gentle bench sighting in during recovery. (It’s abdominal surgery, so no prone!)

I have a new SWFA 12x SS that I bought a few years ago but never mounted that I’ll be using for now at least. The rings are also SWFA - S.S.A.L.T.

Has anyone seen any decent scope mounting tutorials? I’ve always done it trial and error, getting the fore and aft positioning set so I’m in the center of the eye box has always been a challenge. And in the past I’ve usually used single piece ring and base combinations. In this case I’ll be using two rings, so that’s another complication - where to set them.

Help the dummy?
    I just watched this video a couple days ago. I'm getting ready to mount a Vortex PST on my .308 build. It's taken a couple weeks to get all the parts needed. This video has specific recommendations on tools, mounts, and tips on what to do/not do. 40 mins, but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71_Ric5ULU
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 12-14-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Thank you!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I’m an idiot - that SWFA box wasn’t for these rings. These are plain old wide 30mm ones from SWFA, not a S.A.A.L.T., which I think is a one piece base with rings.
    Ken

Site Supporter
    Do you have a torgue wrench available for the screws for rings, bases, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Do you have a torgue wrench available for the screws for rings, bases, etc.?
    @kortik
    #RESIST

My secret technique:

Step 1 - find a reputable gunsmith nearby who has a reputation for doing good work mounting scopes
    Step 2 - drive to same with rifle, rings, and scope
    Step 3 - leave same and $$ with smith
    Step 4 - come back and pickup well mounted, boresighted scope-equipped rifle.

^^^THIS^^^

For a rifle that nice, it's worth it. But the key is finding the right 'smith who knows how to properly mount the bases, lap rings, etc.

FWIW, Rem 700 receivers are a pain-in-the-nuts due to scope bases needing to be bedded. I did mine after plenty of research with success, but it's definitely something that can be screwed-up by anyone not doing the research.

My custom rifle below, which shoots far better than I'm able to squeeze off the shots (I have since upgraded the bipod to an Atlas 5H, hugely more stable);

Elsewhere on this forum, I asked the same questions a couple months ago and learned:

1. For my situation (AR10 build) it's not hard to mount a scope properly and it's a valueable learning experience. In the YouTube era, nothing is impossible to learn to do yourself.

2. I'm using a single piece scope mount on a suggestion by another member. In my case, an Aero Precision ultralight scope mount.
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 12-14-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling

User Tag List