Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiction authors with real experience.

John D MacDonald was OSS in the east during WWII (though not really a gun guy, and it kind of shows).

Fredrick Forsyth spent a bit of time in the RAF, then as a correspondent covering little wars in 60's Africa.

CS Lewis of course.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    I am a big fan of The Dying Place by David Maurer, a MACV-SOG guy with CCN during the Vietnam War. It is very well written and deserves to be much better known. I feel it is significantly better than Matterhorn, for instance.

Funny you mention this today. I was out walking our dog in the neighborhood earlier today and came across a home with an suv parked in the drive with graphics on the windows concerning this novel In the back window of the suv was a small Vietnam vet sticker. I’ll have a look at the book. A number of older retired military live in my neighborhood so I guess it could be him, or who knows.

Duncan Falconer was SBS and has written a slew of fiction. I have read any, but his non-fiction First Into Action was fairly good (as a far as the usual "troubled childhood - > military -> selection -> training -> combat" memoirs go.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Duncan-Falcon...rwt_scns_share
    Last edited by BigD; 12-14-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Ernest Hemingway fought in WWI and also spied a little for WWII
    He was present in World War I, and he was even wounded in world war one but he did not actually “fight” in World War I.

He was an ambulance driver in Italy for the American Red Cross which at the time was a neutral NGO. He was wounded by mortar fire while operating a red cross canteen feeding Italian soldiers.

He covered the Spanish Civil War as a reporter but again was not a combatant.

You know who was a combatant in the Spanish Civil War though? George Orwell. He also spent five years in Burma as a British colonial policeman. I think it would be impossible to write books like 1980 for an animal farm if you had never spent any time in government service.

James Webb: Fields of Fire and Something to Die For
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Check out James Salter. He was a Korean War F86 pilot. His book The Hunters is fantastic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    JRR Tolkien. He was an infantry officer on the western front in WWI.

Substitute the weapons and substitute Orcs for the Germans and you see why his action / fight stuff was so good.
    I’m just finishing my second listen of Dan Carlin’s WWI series Blueprint for Armageddon. Because Tolkien served in WWI I also just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy and will restart the books shortly. Having some of the history so fresh in my mind has added a whole new layer to those stories.

A slightly different genre, but Barry Eisler was a covert CIA operator for a few years and is an exceptional writer. I suggest starting at the beginning of his John Rain (Junichi Fujiwara) series with A Clean Kill in Tokyo (confusingly originally named Rain Fall if you find an older copy.) He also blogs on personal security and protection.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Joseph wambaugh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List