Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fiction authors with real experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    JL Bourne is great. My favorite is always going to be Marcus Wynne. “No Other Option” and “Warrior in the Shadows” are just phenomenal novels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    100% agree!

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m glad you mentioned him.

I read his books when I aspired to be a fighter pilot.
    I appreciate them even more after a career as a fighter pilot.

Highly recommended.
    He's a heck of a nice guy too. I met him when I was an AFROTC cadet, after I had read two of his books. He signed one of the books for me.

I also aspired to be a fighter pilot, but unfortunately I screwed up and washed out of UPT.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    He's a heck of a nice guy too. I met him when I was an AFROTC cadet, after I had read two of his books. He signed one of the books for me.

I also aspired to be a fighter pilot, but unfortunately I screwed up and washed out of UPT.
    I’d love to meet him!

And if you like his stuff, I’d also recommend Tom Wilson. He was a Wild Weasel backseater (a “Bear”), and did some great writing, too.
    I believe he’s passed away- but I’d have liked to meet him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’d love to meet him!

And if you like his stuff, I’d also recommend Tom Wilson. He was a Wild Weasel backseater (a “Bear”), and did some great writing, too.
    I believe he’s passed away- but I’d have liked to meet him, too.
    Thanks, for the recommendation on Wilson's books. I'll start working those into my reading, as I'm fascinated by the "Wild Weasel" mission. For anyone else interested in the books, here is a link to the author's Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Wilson/e/..._cont_ebooks_1

I really enjoyed reading Dan Hampton's "Hunter Killers."

For those interested in the Mark Berent books, here is a link to his Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Berent/e...6383804&sr=1-1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Mike deployed to Afghanistan for EOD.
    I think he also worked armed security in Qatar for a time.

Greg Walker was a Green Beret for many years, primiarily in the 1980s. He wrote fiction books under the Springblade series in the 1980s and '90s, a number of non-fiction books on U.S. Military Special Operations, particularly during the 1970s and '80s, and a number of articles for Soldier of Fortune Magazine.

Christopher Whitcomb was an FBI HRT Sniper who was at Waco, Ruby Ridge, and the LA Riots - he wrote a non-fiction autobiography titled: Cold Zero: Inside the Hostage Rescue Team, and two fiction novels Black: A Novel, and White: A Novel. All three are interesting reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Kent Anderson. Vietnam SF turned Portland cop in the 70s turned Oakland cop in the 80s. Wrote 3 books:

Sympathy for the Devil: Vietnam SF
    Night Dogs: Portland PD
    Green Sun: Oakland PD

All are good, but Night Dogs is one of my favorite novels of all time.
    I picked Night Dogs up on the basis of your recommendation and could not put it down. Great novel.

Mystery novelist Tony Hillerman was a WWII Army mortarman, receiving the silver star and purple heart in the pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by SIRTainly View Post
    I picked Night Dogs up on the basis of your recommendation and could not put it down. Great novel.
    I’ve read Sympathy for the Devil multiple times. It’s great as is Night Dogs.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 12-15-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’ve read Sympathy for the Devil multiple times. It’s great as is Night Dogs.
    Sympathy has become one of my very favorite books of any genre.

User Tag List