Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiction authors with real experience.

Fiction authors with real experience.

I like fiction with realistic action, tactics, and firearms.

Reccomend me some fiction authors who have some actual combat experience please!

So far I have read books by:

Dalton Fury (Delta)
    Jeff Kirkman (SF)
    John Chappy Chapman (Swat)
    Jack Carr (Seal)
    Marcus Wynne (Air Marshall & Contractor)
    Orlando Wilson (Executive Protection)
    Max Velocity (British SpecOps)
    Robert Lewis (SF)
    Brad Taylor (Delta)

I love nonfiction but am taking a break from it for a few weeks and want some more good fiction.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Warped Mindless; 12-13-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    I am more of a non fiction guy, and just have too much of it to read to add anything else.

In the past I did read a lot of fiction.

Jeff Struecker wrote a couple of books I enjoyed. If I remember right they were about Army SF. While they had a religious tone, I think they could be enjoyed by all.

Jeff Struecker is a former Army Ranger who fought in the Battle of Mogadishu. Later he became an Army Chaplin.

If you're into sci-fi and mercenaries, the Hammer's Slammers series by David Drake who is a VN vet.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Richard Marcinko

I mostly read non-fiction at this point.

I believe Aaron Cowan from Sage Dynamics writes fiction.I haven't read any of it, but if I was looking for detail oriented fiction I'd check out his books.

-Cory

Jason Kasper

J T Patten

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    If you're into sci-fi and mercenaries, the Hammer's Slammers series by David Drake who is a VN vet.
    As was Joe Haldeman.

Jerry Pournelle and Gene Wolff were Korean vets.

Cyril Kornbluth eventually died of wounds from the Battle of the Bulge; Randall Garret was a Marine in the Pacific Theater.

Murray Leinster was a WWI vet. (Although I cannot verify that he even deployed.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I am a big fan of The Dying Place by David Maurer, a MACV-SOG guy with CCN during the Vietnam War. It is very well written and deserves to be much better known. I feel it is significantly better than Matterhorn, for instance.

We Few by Nick Brokhausen is a memoir of his time with MACV-SOG, but stylistically it's basically a novel that just happens to be true. Also a great book that deserved more attention than it has got.

Site Supporter
    JRR Tolkien. He was an infantry officer on the western front in WWI.

Substitute the weapons and substitute Orcs for the Germans and you see why his action / fight stuff was so good.

Gerald Petievich - retired US Secret Service Agent - wrote several crime noir books made into 80s action movies including To Live and Die in LA and Passenger 57.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.

Ernest Hemingway fought in WWI and also spied a little for WWII

User Tag List